Forums Latest Members

What would you experts out there make of this Longines?

1. halgedahl Aug 8, 2020

Advertised as a 34mm, made for the American market in conjunction with the Star Watch Case Company, and from the 60s. I think it a sweet looking Longines. Yet, unlike any I've seen before. The dial is… how shall I put it? Full.. not cluttered, but filled. Rather than with the amount of room, or "white space" I'm used to seeing in Longines references.

But I'm new to Longines. Any help would be appreciated. (I do see that some polishing has been done to the back.)

Fred Halgedahl

P1030387.jpg P1030394.jpg P1030397.jpg

FREDMAYCOIN, Syrte and Benbradstock like this.
  2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Aug 8, 2020

Don’t know enough to help with the query but it’s a nice looking watch

DaveK and janice&fred like this.
  3. N05J3W3 Aug 8, 2020

Agree. Original or not, a very attractive design.

4. janice&fred Aug 8, 2020

If it's not Kosher it would fool me. To me it looks great. However I'm no Longines expert. I bet Syrte will know.

5. halgedahl Aug 8, 2020

Well, I thought so too. Thanks. I meant to say that no photos of the movement are available… yet. Seller on vacation. Or I would have included.

6. halgedahl Aug 8, 2020

The lume plots match the hands nicely, too.

7. janice&fred Aug 8, 2020

Is the seller someone with a good reputation? Maybe ask him/her to elaborate on the watch and let you know if it's all original? Sure looks great for it's age. Probably been polished but most stuff from that era are by now.

8. halgedahl Aug 8, 2020

Well… reputation and reputation! Haha! As I think I said—on vacation at the moment. He'll hope to have more info when back "in the office" in ten days or so. I'm encouraged that initial feedback is positive. I so appreciate your weighing-in! FH

9. michael22 Aug 8, 2020

Looks great from the front.
    My concern is with the caseback. It looks like a screwdown type that the gripping lugs have been almost totally rounded off.
    Comment based on appearance, not knowledge of the model.

10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 8, 2020

Dial looks fine, there were a variety of styles offered.

However I share the concern about the case back noted above. I believe this watch has been discussed before and the conclusion was that the back has been ground on a lathe, probably to remove marks from a clumsy opening attempt.

Here is mine for comparison.

IMG_5548 2.jpg IMG_5550.jpg

DaveK and Benbradstock like this.
  11. Dan S Aug 8, 2020

It won't be easy to open that watch. That case-back has virtually nothing to grip.

12. imfagent449 Aug 8, 2020

This looks correct to me. There may be a very small chance that the dial and hands are original but are replacements. However, the condition of the case would suggest that that is not the case.

I expect that it is a calibre 350 (the crown looks similar to some grand prize watches).

13. krogerfoot Aug 8, 2020

The superglue-a-bolt-to-the-caseback method is not one I'd be eager to try

14. halgedahl Aug 8, 2020

Extremely interesting and (perhaps unfortunately) telling. Alas… one simply cannot be too careful. Yours is a honey—those applied numerals quite bold and, really, outstanding. Hmmmm. I'll see what the seller has to say when back at work. I do really like the dial, but I'm looking for the "whole truth and nothing but the truth," you know? Trying to build a collection of "real deals" that suit my aesthetic taste. Not as easy as one might imagine! Thanks so much for your opinion. FH

15. halgedahl Aug 8, 2020

Many thanks. On my way to bed. More in the a.m. :) FH

16. janice&fred Aug 9, 2020

You would be surprised at how noninvasive it is and a common procedure in the deep tropics. Well not exactly a bolt but usually some sort of flat round tool bit that can be affixed with "mightybond". My wife's Godfather was taught that trick at the Rolex service center in Makati many decades ago as a way to gently persuade a seriously stubborn solid gold oyster case back to unscrew without the Rolex tool "skipping" on the case back teeth. After removal simply soak the case back in lacquer thinner to remove the tool bit and that's that. It's still a common procedure on seriously stubborn stainless case backs as well. I have seen our watch tech in Cebu City even remove the bezel and acrylic on old oysters and similar swiss watches to allow heat to escape without damage to the dial and apply very careful amounts of heat to case backs to soften up stuck O-rings so the back will loosen. Not for the faint of heart but the tropics can cause these old watches to be very difficult to open when they have never been serviced in decades.

However I can see now that this longines has had it's case back wrench flats machined down and that is a shame.

Tony C. and krogerfoot like this.
  17. halgedahl Aug 9, 2020

Super interesting oh Fred-of-my-own-given-name… The past month in Iowa, USA, has felt like the tropics, as it does this morning after a light early rain and now 90s expected with heat indices over 100.

As to said Longines, yes, a shame. I thought I'd found "the one!" But patience is called for when you're serious about finding something to be proud as punch to wear-though-not-one-person-in-a-hundred-will-have-the-slightest-idea-of-what-they-are-(most likely)-not-looking-at! Sheesh! You are so kind to comment, and (if I may say) so good to include your lovely wife in your avatar. Here's a bouquet for her from mine.

IMG_3778 copy.jpeg

Best greetings to you both! Fred H.

janice&fred likes this.
  18. janice&fred Aug 9, 2020

Us Freds gotta stick together!

I never been to Iowa yet but yes that sounds like tropical weather you're getting. Even back here in Connecticut we have been getting clobbered lately with hot humid days. However your wife won't mind since she obviously enjoys the garden and stuff is growing like crazy with the rains.

19. halgedahl Aug 9, 2020

Have a best friend in Hartford. Without power for 12+ hrs from the Tropical Storm. Internet even longer. Hope you and yours fared well! FH

janice&fred likes this.
  20. krogerfoot Aug 9, 2020

"Faint of heart" describes me perfectly and is the only reason I'd hesitate to try it. I am mildly surprised every time I get a caseback off a watch without burning the house down.

DaveK and janice&fred like this.