Forums Latest Members

What do you think of this Longines Admiral 5-Star?

1. paulmcinally Jul 2, 2017

Hello Guys,

This is my first post on the forum. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on this Longines, which is up for sale on Yahoo auctions, here in Japan:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n218659638

The seller doesn't provide much information but says that it doesn't appear to have been worn very much.

I can't date the watch but I'm thinking that it is from the 1970s.

It's looking like a bit of a bargain to me at the moment (current bid puts it at around $250 US).

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks.

2. WatchVaultNYC Jul 2, 2017

Its still very early in the morning, so memories are foggy. But I believe this is an 80's or newer model based on the serial numbers of the ones I have handled. I don't know about it being "worth it" but it is a very modern looking and handsome watch. In the proper lighting the dial has a "brushed steel" look, kind of like the new non-LE Railmasters. Hard to capture in pictures.

3. paulmcinally Jul 2, 2017

Thanks for letting me know some information regarding the date. Newer than I expected. I'm glad I passed on it!

4. argonbeam Jul 2, 2017

The five star admirals from this era often had Longines 50x movements, which were relabeled Record movements used by Longines after they acquired Record. If you like later Longines like this one try and find one with 99x on the lower dial which would indicate the quite nice 99x series of movements.