Forums Latest Members

What would you do with this vintage IWC?

1. Gstp May 3, 2017

I am about the get this vintage IWC running again. Casse is ok and sharp. But what to do with the dial? Numbers are cool and I guess even a good redialler wont get them right, but the brand name is almost gone and somebody has left a huge fingerprint on it. The print is clearer in my picture than in real life.

Leave it or get it redone ?

20170503_214624.jpg

noelekal likes this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 3, 2017

New springbars and strap, for sure! Dial might benefit from a sensitive cleaning.

3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 3, 2017

Would the Forum know if only the manufacturer's logo may be restored without re-doing the entire dial?

I have had that question about the feasibility of doing just that with a blurred Longines logo on a watch.

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 3, 2017

An independent restorer could attempt to do that, but IWC would never do so.

5. FlyingTiger May 3, 2017

Give the watch to an trusted and well known watchmaker.
    - Clean and fix the movement
    - Dust and dirt removal from the dial
    - fix Strap
    - Check case and joints

Leave the hands, looks sexy and reflects the history
    Don't get movement, hands, crown or case replaced !

Cheers,
    Alexander

PS IWC has an outstanding service for Vintage watches ! (I used twice already)

Maybe, Fritz and davidswiss like this.
  6. Gstp May 7, 2017

And what did they charge ?

7. FlyingTiger May 7, 2017

Well, send the Watch to IWC and ask for Quotation. Every Vintage Watch has a different need and the price will rely on that.

I did pay for a IWC Stimmgabel in absolute bad condition nearly 900 CHF to get it fixed. The result is absolute amazing and I did it because it has personal value to me.

I assume that your watch will cost more than 1000 CHF to get it back in shape.

Does the watch has any personal value to you ? Or you just want to sale it for a good price and make some money out of it ?
    Personal Value : Get if fixed

Check with IWC and ask for Quotation first (Would be nice get the reference number too) It might end up the restauration cost more than the whole value of the watch....

Regards,
    Alexander

8. Gstp May 8, 2017

Well I guessed they were crazy expensive like the rest of the makers. I'll leave the dial as it is which was my question really. But thanks for the probably well meant advice from some of you. It's a cal 62 btw from 1943, beautiful little movement.

9. FlyingTiger May 8, 2017

Yes, nice little movement and around 14.000 of those has been produced between 1938 and 1949 :thumbsup:

In case you do a restauration, please show us the pics before and afterwards.

Regards,
    Alexander

Foo2rama likes this.