Forums Latest Members

What will Omega Service say about my modified Planet Ocean clasp?

1. msp1518 Jul 11, 2017

Hey gang, so my Planet Ocean (45mm Cal 2500) was about +4 for many moons, until I did a lot of traveling over the last three months and is now +30 or more a day. Major ouch. But hey, there are warranties for such situations. :)

Obviously I need to have it looked at, but a few Omega die-hards told me that since I replaced the clasp on my watch last late summer with the clasp from the Seamaster 300 coaxial (which has micro-adjustments) that Omega Service will frown on it and send me the watch back unserviced.

Okay... What is the truth? If that is the truth I am happy to just take the darned bracelet off and get them my watch on a NATO. I'd appreciate some knowledgeable answers. ;)

041.JPG
  2. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jul 11, 2017

I have no idea if they would refuse service or not, but I would simply remove the bracelet and sent it do them without any strap or bracelet. I remove straps/bracelets from my watches prior to sending them in for service anyway.

3. nurseford25 Jul 11, 2017

+1 on removing the bracelet. The service cost is $100 cheaper without the bracelet anyway.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  4. Modernism Jul 11, 2017

They polish the case and bracelet to within an inch of it's life, so if you want that done, put the old clasp back on it before you send it in.
    Failing that, as the others have suggested, just take it off if it doesn't need cleaning up.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  5. w.finkenstaedt Jul 11, 2017

This is no longer true as of January 2017.

OP, the service center will likely require a new clasp for your bracelet if it is sent in as-is, as your bracelet was never intended to take the screw and pin clasp, nor is it satisfactory to their expectations.

Keep in mind that they refinish the watch so make note of it if you don't want them to - it's included in the service price and is not negotiable as a cost.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  6. w.finkenstaedt Jul 11, 2017

This is flat-out not true. I serviced five watches with Omega Seattle last year. All were refinished immaculately such that I couldn't tell that they weren't new other than a few deep scratches that couldn't be removed.

Please refrain from posting in the future without first-hand knowledge.

7. ac921ol Jul 11, 2017

^agree with him. They did an amazing job on my PO and I gave them my AT for service which I assume will come back just as good as the PO.

BrianMcKay and w.finkenstaedt like this.
  8. msp1518 Jul 11, 2017

Thanks for the tips on this. I definitely do not want them polishing anything. I bought it new July 14 of last year from Govberg so it doesn't need any case or bracelet work. Yeah, there are plenty of scratches, but I couldn't care less. So I will just remove the bracelet.

I called Govberg and they told me to send it to them. They will handle everything. If it is magnetized, they can take care of that. If not they will get it to Omega and cover all shipping for me.

By the way, that clasp is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I cannot believe how much I use the micro adjustment. I'll never be able to go backwards now. I do still have the original clasp, which I'll always keep. It's minty minty minty, as a certain fat Aussie would say.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  9. nurseford25 Jul 11, 2017

That's a bummer. Thanks for the update.

10. Modernism Jul 12, 2017

Obviously totally lost in translation...
    I've had 2 x PO serviced and it came back polished, You've just confirmed what I said but disagreed with me. They come back like new, what part of 'polished to within an inch of it's life' do you and ac92 not understand exactly? You've just reiterated what I said, plus, I told him to remove if he doesn't want it cleaned up, some people don't like having it done. How do you misinterpret that?

Edited Jul 12, 2017
  11. RDK Jul 12, 2017

Just have it demagnetized first.

You can always send it in later for repairs if that doesn't do the trick..

At the moment, I'm waiting for my demagnetizer to arrive.
    Black Bay went from -2spd to + 7spd.

You can check your watch by holding it close to a compass

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 12, 2017

As long as its a genuine Omega clasp I doubt they'd bat an eyelid, Rolex are the ones that tend to get upset when something's slightly out of spec but they're more of a rarity.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 12, 2017

As a rule, OMEGA restores/reassembles all OMEGA watches to their original condition - stated in their customer service policy. Parts that are not original to the reference will be replaced at the owner's cost.

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 12, 2017

Is it more an offering thing though? They didn't have a problem servicing one of my modern Speedmasters on an old 1171 while I had the 1998 bracelet off that in use on another watch

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 12, 2017

I think it depends on the part. If you put a PO bezel and seconds hand on a 22545000 (a common WUS modification) I'm quite sure they would change it all back and charge you for all the parts. This simply goes against the brands ethos and would not be tolerated.

For things like bracelets, I think their concern is liability. Putting an entire bracelet on poses little risk if it all fits, and considering the 1171 was a bracelet used on Speedmasters in the past, that isn't really the same thing as putting a clasp in a bracelet that was never correct for the bracelet or watch.

I don't think anyone can predict with 100% certainty that they will or won't replace it. My gut tells me on the mod in question they would replace it and charge the watch owner. Swiss companies are very conservative (news flash!!) and my feeling is that they would not approve of the mod in question as they would fear the watch owner coming back on them if the bracelet fails and the watch is lost or damaged.

Cheers, Al

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 12, 2017

Because polished to an inch of its life generally means a heavy handed polish job that looses the sharpness and has removed a lot of metal.

wavey and w.finkenstaedt like this.
  17. w.finkenstaedt Jul 12, 2017

Bingo. Thanks for clarifying for him. [emoji1360]

Foo2rama likes this.
  18. Modernism Jul 12, 2017

Read how you want. It meant total overhaul. Whatever