Forums Latest Members
  1. philgund Sep 17, 2015

Hi All,

I'm currently looking to purchase a vintage watch that is more formal and not in the sport category. I really like the 60's Omega Seamaster 30, but I'm still pretty new to the Omega world and would love some input. I have researched that the 30T2 is a strong movement, but not sure where to start.

I would love to stay under $2000 but I'm open to explore higher price points if I love the design and story.
    Thank you in advance.

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 17, 2015

Three words - "Pie Pan Constellation".

[​IMG]

You can get a nice steel or gold-capped one for a little more than half your budget. A solid gold one will cost more.

Make sure you show them here first, redials and frankenwatches abound.
    gatorcpa

PatrickJ and philgund like this.
  3. devnull Sep 17, 2015

Belay that, you want one with the crosshairs and day piepan.jpg

4. ulackfocus Sep 17, 2015

Nah, you want to buy my Pia...ge.... wait, never mind. Just saw the budget.

Just kidding! The Constellation is a great recommendation. I'd also look for an IWC caliber 89 since you can find the more basic case designs even in solid gold for around $2k. Stainless is less. Some nice JLC manual winds from the late 60's and early 70's are out there for under your budget too.

5. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Sep 17, 2015

Being a relative newb with plenty of false starts early on, I would recommend trying a few (any) watches on for size before doing anything else. Once you know the "best" size for you, re-ask this same question with a "xx" diameter qualifier. Constellations are amazing, but if the 35 mm size is too small for you they can be hard to wear IMO. On the other hand, if the size is right, a Connie is a beautiful place to begin any collection.
    Understanding my ideal size range was so important to me. Once I knew that, things became a lot clearer. My two cents....

Buckeyes#1 and philgund like this.
  6. philgund Sep 17, 2015

This is a great recommendation. I have seen the pie pan in my research and was a little overwhelmed with the nuances of design and quality. Will definitely bring them into the forum if I find some. Is stainless steel common too? Thank you!

7. philgund Sep 17, 2015

The crosshair detail is a nice touch. Is there a caliber that I should look for or are they all pretty standard?

8. philgund Sep 17, 2015

This is a good point. I do have small wrists and so the smaller size case works well for me.

9. philgund Sep 17, 2015

haha. Thank you for the this option. I'm starting to look into this reco.

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 17, 2015

All the combinations are plentiful as these were just as popular then as now.

That means that they were well used, so you need to be careful on condition. Better to pay more and get more.

No bargains here. Just a solid value.
    gatorcpa

11. devnull Sep 17, 2015

Size is a tricky thing... I prefer my dress watches on the small'ish size (34~36mm) but a tool watch 39mm+.

But yeah, find a place that sells vintage watches and try a bunch on.

philgund likes this.
  12. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 18, 2015

Do not buy Omega or any other big name. Go for the "second tier" where your money will get you not only the watch, but a service.

Hamilton, for example, made some really nice watches, and if you avoid the radical ones, you can get a very nice watch. For example, see what you might like from the "cld" range.

Some other "second tier" watches might include Benrus, Bulova, Elgin, Waltham, Croton, Mido... some fabulous watches to be had by these manufacturers, acquired for pocket change, and then you send to a very good watchmaker and give her extra money to spend that much more time adjusting and regulating.

Tom

13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 18, 2015

Oh yeah and Wittnauer!

philgund likes this.
  14. Difeer Sep 18, 2015

Many great recommendations mentioned. Vet raised a good point about taking into account budget for servicing.

You can also go for vintage seamasters. Most of them can be had under 1k, so you have more than sufficient funds left for servicing. We often have pieces in great condition listed in the sales thread.

15. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 18, 2015

The highest quality watch you'll find for a $2k budget is IWC vintage. They're soft on the market (have been for a while), but very high grade. Great place to start.

philgund likes this.
  16. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 18, 2015

Three words....

One you like.

MikiJ, philgund and Georgieboy58 like this.
  17. daswunschkind Sep 18, 2015

I would go through the different threads here. Specially such as "WRUW today" or new arrivals etc are a rich source of watches (not only Omega). But be aware! Maybe you have to kiss some frogs to find your princess... ;)

philgund likes this.
  18. philgund Sep 18, 2015

I went swimming in the pool of information here and saw that you had insight on Universal Geneve Polerouter Date. I did a little reading on them and as a native Norwegian living in the US I couldnt help but get pulled into their story. Any thoughts there? What should I expect to pay for one in good condition?

19. ulackfocus Sep 18, 2015

drevil_cover.jpg

Ecodelosandes, PatrickJ and philgund like this.
  20. philgund Sep 18, 2015