Forums Latest Members
  1. bill5959 Sep 4, 2014

2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Sep 4, 2014

3. Georgieboy58 Sep 4, 2014

It's cheaper here ;-)

4. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Sep 4, 2014

Barking mad and JohnSteed like this.
  5. bill5959 Sep 4, 2014

OK, I didn't make that connection. Apparently my ADD overcame my OCD. :taunt: So is it just price holding this back? Trying to learn but also seriously looking for my second vintage. ::facepalm1::

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 4, 2014

Well there is a global dearth of any 2998's for sale at the moment, so anything offered has to be viewed as an opportunity.

perhaps it's my screen, but the dark photos make it difficult to see the true condition.

What I can see is that the minute hand is too short, and so I would want to take a close look at the rest of the hands too. As I say, this reference is so rare, that you have to buy it and improve it. The hands are around, though getting more and more expensive.

from what I see, it's definitely worth considering. The dial and bezel look very attractive. Also a -4 is a rare bird, though I don't think it makes it more valuable than the other "numbers". The -1 and -2 will always be worth more, but I view than a little differently.

I would like to see better photos, and of course the movement.

FabCo and watchyouwant like this.
  7. bill5959 Sep 4, 2014

Interesting perspective. This gets into a whole other perspective of restoration. I appreciate it well from the car side. I don't usually buy stuff like this for investment(otherwise I would be sitting on a lot of cars I traded off). I buy for my own enjoyment but want to know I have what I bought is "real". A slippery slope to say the least I think rarity gives you more latitude in what you can do. ::psy:: Just trying to get that feel on the watch side is taking time. Cheers.

8. flame Speedmaster Neil Sep 5, 2014

Hi William

The handset call is a difficult one....I can see the minute hand doesn't make it all the way to the minute track , however it's well past the step of the dial and I would say for length at least , it's acceptable.

I know the latest Speedmaster book may well raise expectations as to what should be 'ideally' fitted.....but 50yrs+ ago at the factory I think was a little more 'fluid'.

Best - Neil

9. rolexfantastic Sep 6, 2014

I have asked Barking mad to update his add as the watch had a lot of issues but for whatever reason he didn't, instead he marked the watch as sold, probably the same day.

The issues with the watch are various:

- the hour, minute and sweep chrono hand are new to the watch (the first to compare to the dial patina, such is the sweep)

[​IMG]
    - the coupling wheel bridge has been replaced a later addition, first seen on 105.012 - the original bridge should have had two semi circular side cuts)

[​IMG]
    - the balance regulator has been replaced (it's also a later addition, first seen on 105.002 - the original should have been slimmer)
    - the anchor wheel bridge marked with the serial number is etched ADJUSTED TWO 2 POSITIONS; this marking only comes together with the OXG (delivered to US) marking on the balance bridge, while this one is not, leaving here two choices:

- either the movement had a new balance cock (and other new parts)
    - either the watch is a built from parts

A couple pictures to highlight the issues in the above movement:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pictures courtesy of Gino B., presented before on OF

10. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 6, 2014

The watch was sold before I received your message and the purchaser is aware of the watch condition. Some issues you mentioned I was not aware of and at no time did I misrepresent the watch. I don't quite understand your issue but you obviously have an axe to grind from previous posts.

watchyouwant likes this.