What to do with my Speedmaster Professional 105.012 65

Hi, a few weeks ago I posted some photos of a 105.012 65 HF for some advice. It turns out the hands, crown and pushers are all service items and the bracelet is a 1116 with 575 rather than a 1506/16

There was also some comment about the dial - one of the members did a bit of an assassination job on it. On the one hand if you put things on a forum for advice then comment is what you are asking for, but it was a bit disheartening (I really shouldn't be that soft thogh LoL).

Since then I have taken the watch to a repairer with over 40 years experience. Having dealt with 100s of Speedmasters, he is of the opinion that the dial is likely to be a very early service example. In his opinion It is just too good for someone to be producing fake dials like this and the effort involved in setting up the manufacturing process wouldn't have be worth it, particularly as the dial was made when Speedmaster prices were nothing like what they are now.

So I thought I'd ask for more views on the dial. Is it definitely a fake, could it be an out of the factory early service dial or is it likely to be an early service dial which may have been relumed?

A second question, what do I do with the watch now as unfortunately I can't afford to keep it.

So ... Should I sell the watch as is or do the modifications to the watch make it such a heinous abomination that no-one will be interested in it? Or do the good parts of the watch make it still interesting to collectors?

The plus points of the watch are that it has a very good DON bezel, a 321 movement in excellent working condition which is around 700 serial number wise off the actual Moon watch, a case which may have been polished but is still very nice, a 1116 bracelet in good condition with 575 end links. Then there are the service parts ...

Is it a case that the sum of the parts are greater then the value of the watch as is, or is the watch still of sufficient interest to people to sell as is.

I've added a few more, hopefully better photos now.of the dial and movement outside the case

Like 4
Imho, that is not a fake dial. Omega part. Also not relumed.

Like 1
Well, on my 69 Speedmaster the subregisters have concentric rings.
Yours don't have those. So, perhaps refinished or service. I haven't looked into service dials, so not sure if older ones with step had no rings.

Screenshot 2021-10-22 at 15.04.47.png

Like 1
i wonder why S and p is not connected in the Speedmaster script
?861 dial
Edited:

Unfortunately not...
I don't know what you mean by that... do you mean you need the money and have to sell it? Nothing wrong with that. Plenty of things come before fancy watches.

I don't know what you mean by that... do you mean you need the money and have to sell it? Nothing wrong with that. Plenty of things come before fancy watches.
I just mean it would be nice to keep this watch. As you say however there are more worthy priorities. I therefore need to sell it in one form or another.

You should have the "Watch repairer" buy it from you since he says it's an authentic dial. I mean, heck, he has "Over 40 years experience Having dealt with 100s of Speedmasters" :rolleyes:

Like 7
For my own education, can you elaborate? Because they look nearly the same to me....

The thread linked to points out it's not a correct dial for the reference. I remain unconvinced it being fake is proven. Personally I do think it is a replacement, but I have yet to see a verified fake dial look this good. I vote real but incorrect for the reference.

Like 2
I have yet to see a verified fake dial look this good.
You think it looks good?

I vote real but incorrect for the reference.
Can you find another 'real' one that looks the same? Singer surely didn't make a 'One-off'.... Or maybe it's a good ol' prototype...

Having read Nadav's previous detailed explanation and studied the examples he kindly posted, I'm convinced that the printing is not original Omega and I don't really like the applied logo. I couldn't rule out that the dial blank is original, which would make it restored as opposed to fake, which may be a semantic difference. Neither has much value.

In any case, to answer the OP's question, the sum of the movement, case, and bezel has significant value and someone will certainly buy it on eBay for a substantial sum. You could try to sell the parts separately, but unless you have an established eBay history as a seller of watch parts, things may not go well. The exception would be the bracelet, which I would probably sell separately.

Like 3
Sell all parts. Even the dial with the explanation. Separate bezel, back and middle case as well. Invest CHF 120 for an EoA from the factory and sell that with the movement. Will fetch a much better price with the Speedmaster proof ... Good luck !

Like 4
You think it looks good?

Can you find another 'real' one that looks the same? Singer surely didn't make a 'One-off'.... Or maybe it's a good ol' prototype...

Lol. The onus is not on me to prove its good. It's a good looking dial. Nicer than most fakes.

You are the one asserting you know it's fake, it is up to you to prove it is. In my view you have not met that standard. Nobody thinks it's original to the watch, so you spent a bunch of time arguing something everyone also acknowledges. Go figure.

Like 1