Forums Latest Members
  1. Engee Aug 23, 2020

Hello all, I'm thinking about replacing a crown. It's not a job I've done before but I think it's within my capability and not a high risk fail if I get it wrong. To those that do this: Do you use a proprietary threadlocker, just regular glue of some kind, or nothing? If you use a threadlocher, which is your preferred brand?

And while I'm here, I wonder if there's a case for a new forum specifically for discussions about repairs and watch maintenance? I'm interested in learning about this sort of thing whereas I imagine many other members aren't so it seems that for those that are, it would be a worthwhile category.

Many thanks, as always, for the excellent advice you guys provide.

2. wsfarrell Aug 23, 2020

Loctite Blue 242 will do the trick.

I'd love to see a repair/maintenance sub-forum. There were tons of posts in this area a few years ago, but they've dwindled as watch prices skyrocketed and we started seeing more and more posts like "How much is my uncle's Omega worth?" and "Flippers have driven Rolex prices through the roof."

Engee and DaveK like this.
  3. Engee Aug 24, 2020

Do you know the difference between the different versions? I see that Loctite 290 is a lot cheaper, and used by watchmakers also.

4. wsfarrell Aug 24, 2020

I haven't used 290, but I think either would be fine. 290 is said to wick nicely into threads through capillary action, but it's also higher-strength and might make disassembly more difficult in the future.

Engee likes this.
  5. clundp Aug 24, 2020

Loctite 222MS Low Strength is what I use

Engee likes this.
  6. Professor Aug 24, 2020

I used Blue Locktite on my Bulova crown after it came unscrewed.
    I had first tried super glue but it dried too quickly to even get the threads started. I had to dissolve the super glue with acetone before trying the Locktite.
    Probably a good idea to clean out the threads with acetone, or nail polish remover, before using the Locktite.
    The cheapest locally available dollar store nail polish remover is 100% Acetone. Of course you must take care it doesn't contact anything other than the threads.

Engee likes this.