Forums Latest Members

What Omega is it? 40's or 50's? Model? Minneapolis Repair Shop?

1. snocrvr Apr 24, 2020

I inherited this watch from my father who passed away many years ago. I recently came across it, and NO, I have no desire to sell it. No matter what the resale value might be, the family value is too great. The automatic feature currently works. The watch is silver in color. I plan to bring to to a Minneapolis watch shop once the "shelter in place" is lifted. If it is feasible, I would like to have it put in good running order. In the meantime, I would like to identify it and find out a little bit about it. Will you please help me out with your knowledge about Omega? I recently took the included photos. Also, I'd appreciate suggestions about a Minneapolis/St. Paul watch repair shop. Thank you! IMG_1804.jpeg IMG_1808.jpeg IMG_1809.jpeg IMG_1813.jpeg

DaveK, Seaborg, apsm100 and 1 other person like this.
  2. OMEGuy Apr 25, 2020

The watch looks like a ref. 2584 / 2480 from the late 1940s and appears to be in very good shape.

KingCrouchy and apsm100 like this.
  3. Dan S Apr 25, 2020

Wonderful inheritance. The definitive information needed to identify the reference and manufacturing date are inside the watch, so if you're comfortable removing the back and posting photos, we can give you more information. As you probably know, your watch has a "bumper" automatic movement, and you can probably feel the oscillating weight moving when you wear the watch. Unless you are very attached to that particular bracelet, you might consider replacing it, since the spring-loaded end-links can damage the lugs over time.

Regarding repair, your best bet is to search the forum for recommendations (I use google, and limit the search to the omegaforums.net domain). Here is one thread I found, and I'm sure there are others.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/a-shout-out-to-my-watchmaker.104027/#post-1362039

DaveK likes this.
  4. dstern Apr 25, 2020

How lucky you are to have that heirloom from your father. You might try Caliber Watch Works in south Minneapolis. She has not done any work for me directly but I suggested my son try her for service on a modest 1950s Wittnauer and he was happy with the service and the reasonable charge.

5. KingCrouchy Apr 27, 2020

Great that you decided on keeping this family heirloom and getting it serviced. It's a stunning piece and with the emotional connection to it, I'm sure it will be great to wear it. Wear it in good health.:thumbsup:

If you want to learn more about the Bumper Movement this Omega has, here a link (under Omega Movements part 1, not exactly the same but similar)
    http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/?m=0