Forums Latest Members
  1. Raffles Apr 25, 2015

okay second try at posting. I am looking at but my first speedy moon watch tomorrow. Few dilemmas still- leather or metal strap. Sapphire glass or not? Do I want one that has the date? Too many decisions? What does everyone else think?

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 25, 2015

Hesalite crystal on bracelet, Moonwatches are the easiest decision as they've been making the right one since the start

3. Raffles Apr 25, 2015

Think this is my starting point too

4. Davidt Apr 25, 2015

No point getting it on leather. The bracelets cost a lot so get it from the start and then get a good quality leather strap to go with it from Cousins/hirsch etc if you fancy switching it up.

Hesalite Speedy is the classic and original and was good enough for NASA so I'd go with that.

davidswiss, VetPsychWars and Raffles like this.
  5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 25, 2015

Or a snoopy

Chriswvu, OmegaRookie and dsio like this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 25, 2015

Or an Apollo 11 35th/45th, or old snoopy, or Gemini 4, or Soyuz (either one).

Plenty of excellent LEs out there too. I actually have a Gemini 4 as my LE and then vintage for my "classic" moonwatch as 321s you don't get as much choice in style wise.

People sometimes joke about the fact that there's a new Speedmaster LE every year... yet they almost always sell out and so many of them are awesome. Probably one of the few manufactured LEs in the watch industry people look forward to every year.

Raffles likes this.
  7. Temiyasen Apr 25, 2015

Metal strap ...for me ...this is comfortable and easy to wear ::rimshot::

Raffles likes this.
  8. PatrickJ Apr 26, 2015

An amazing iconic watch. I am disappointed by the large plastic part in the movement. This is a shame as this is the most consistent model, don't get me wrong since my uncle showed me his Omega from a young age I always loved Omega. I know it can be changed but why should I go through the hassle.

Second non related point. Why not have your key models and try not to change them to often or keep releasing new models all the time? This will keep there longevity and allow them to hold there value. The Submariner is a clear example.

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 26, 2015

Plastic part. Read up on why it's there.

Traveling so will let others chime in

10. PatrickJ Apr 26, 2015

Sorry but they are other mechanical watches that do not have a need for plastic parts in their movements. I know why it is there but it could of been engineered from the onset for it not to be there in cal 861 and 1861. Yes I know it can be replaced. Just an opinion it is still the most iconic watch Omega have and it has no doubt contributed to the success that Omega enjoys today. This is why I have a bee in my bonnet regarding this, it is because it is such an icon and even if the price had to be increased Omega need to change it. This is what I think, even though I am a novice it is all the same to me.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 26, 2015

If we were hearing about all of these failures as a result of the delrin brake rather than a metal one, I'd be concerned but from one of Archer's previous posts it sounds like its a part that's under no significant stress or wear anyway and is unlikely to need replacing as a result of use. The material definitely appears to be fit for purpose so I definitely won't be replacing it in my Gemini 4.

12. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 26, 2015

Yeah the Delrin brake should be the least of your worry. Biggest choice is scratch proof vs shatter proof...

STANDY likes this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 26, 2015

Would be more worried about how much plastic is in your car now days

14. PatrickJ Apr 26, 2015

No such thing as proof in my opinion, resistant is better. I knew someone with a Panerai pam 111 it had sapphire and it still got a tiny scratch. On the moon watch if it scratches the scratches can be polished out, not so with sapphire.

Frunkinator likes this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 26, 2015

So that bit of plastic is good then :whistling:

Frunkinator likes this.
  16. PatrickJ Apr 26, 2015

Yes covering the dial. The movement is different it is a thing of beauty and craftsmanship, cal 321 did not have this part in. This is of course subjective, I have an opinion with an open mind. It would be nice and a tribute to the wonderful moon watch if Omega could get this changed in the future. If they do or not is another matter.

Edited Apr 26, 2015
  17. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 26, 2015

Following your logic, Omega should still be using the 321, no need for the 1861.

18. PatrickJ Apr 26, 2015

On the surface of it from a novice viewpoint I would assume yes. However, I suspect it is not that simple. Please enlighten me, you have more knowledge and understanding then I do.

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 26, 2015

Mad Dog and PatrickJ like this.
  20. PatrickJ Apr 26, 2015

Much appreciated. I will start to read it.