What is your opinion on this omega I consider buying?

Hello OF,
I am a nineteen year old guy from Germany and in the past year I really got into watches. After considering a vintage Omega in the first months I instead bought a Seagull 1963 which Im very happy with. But now after all that I still find myself wanting a vintage Omega. I don't have a huge budget but im willing to pay up to 400-500 Euros. Less is of course still welcome upload_2023-2-7_19-52-28.png.
I found this model on Ebay I know its Quartz but I still find it very good looking.. So my question is: Is this something worth buying? Is this a good price? What other references can you suggest in that price range.
Thank you very much! Leo
s-l1600.jpg

I was just told that I should rather not insert links but instead pictures. So here it is reuploaded. Sorry

It’s a quartz, it’s a less popular 70’s/80’s case style and its gold plate. Very, very low in terms of attraction to a collector. Ultimately buy what you like, but if I liked this case style I’d be looking for one of the automatic versions in stainless which can be found within your budget.

Like 5
Keep money in pocket and search for the two threads here on recommended watches on eBay.

page-347

Also, search the Forum sales section on a regular basis

Good luck and welcome

Like 5
You are looking for something entry-level, but wouldn't you rather have something classic and collectible? You could find something nice, maybe not totally pristine, but attractive and high quality.

IMG_4246.jpeg

Like 4
What other references can you suggest in that price range.
For 400-500 eur, you might find a Seamaster 600 (see refs 135.011, 136.011). But that is a style quite different from what you've posted. For a bit more, you might find a C-case Constellation (168.017) without a bracelet.

Are you tied to vintage Omega? There are sometimes deals to be had on vintage Tissot, Eterna, and Certina, which are also very nice.

Like 1
For 400-500 eur, you might find a Seamaster 600 (see refs 135.011, 136.011). But that is a style quite different from what you've posted. For a bit more, you might find a C-case Constellation (168.017) without a bracelet.

Are you tied to vintage Omega? There are sometimes deals to be had on vintage Tissot, Eterna, and Certina, which are also very nice.
First of thanks for all the kind replies. I’m not really tied to omega, but i just like their style. I also went to a fleamarket in Berlin and bought a very old Poljot watch from the Udssr, which I really like, but I will still be on the lookout on OF. Thanks :) and greetings from Berlin

Like 1
You are looking for something entry-level, but wouldn't you rather have something classic and collectible? You could find something nice, maybe not totally pristine, but attractive and high quality.

Well said! I'm going to use this quote, verbatim, as a pick-up line when approaching younger ladies :D

Joking aside, welcome @Leonard1563 and let me recommend you a few models within your budget. These are manual wind watches. Automatic versions are also available, but they cost a little extra.

Omega Genève, reference 136.0102. Fair price is 200-300€.
genevee.jpg

Omega Genève, reference 135.041 & 136.041(date version) about 300€.
g-geneve (2).jpg

Omega Cosmic, 135.017 & 136.017(date), 400-500€.
upload_2023-2-8_14-45-12.jpeg

Tissot PR 516, 150€.
tissot (2).jpg

Like 6
So one of the first rule for buying your first Omega it's to go for a stainless steel model. They are more attractive for collectors in case if you will want to resell it. If you are a young person i have a felling that you will want a quartz movement because the mechanical one you will forget to wind it :). Personally i like the Omega F300 HZ watches..

omega-geneve-electronic-f300-hz-chronometer-ref-198-030-sold-in-1974-v01.jpg

Like 1
Personally i like the Omega F300 HZ watches..

That would be about the last watch I would suggest for a newbie to vintage. Better off with something easier and cheaper to maintain.

Like 5
So one of the first rule for buying your first Omega it's to go for a stainless steel model. They are more attractive for collectors in case if you will want to resell it.

What about if you really like gold watches? I'd say buy what you want and don't think about resell value. Just don't pay too much and avoid watches with repainted dials.

Like 3
What about if you really like gold watches? I'd say buy what you want and don't think about resell value. Just don't pay too much and avoid watches with repainted dials.

If the OP likes gold, my personal recommendation for a vintage watch on a budget would be a gold-capped case if possible. I would bet that if we inspected the gold-plated OP watch and bracelet carefully, we would find some unattractive wear.

Like 3
Yeah I really like gold watches, but bad coloring is of course an issue. I don't really care about the value since I will be wearing this everyday and as a younger person might not be the most careful. I think I will just be on the lookout and wait for a good opportunity and then buy. Still thanks I found OF in general very helpful and interesting to learn about these little things.

Like 3
i'm in your shoes, leonard...welcome to the hobby. hope you find what you like.

Let me throw the Tissot PR516GL from the 70s into the discussion:

IMG-0014.jpg
This is the complete stainless steel one with deep red dial.
As some maybe know at that time while the quartz crisis was going on business was as bad for Omega that they where forced to sell automatic movements to Tissot because there where like no demand for them at the market.

So for Leo: I bet this is your kind of style, its an Omega automatic, complete stainless steel and best of all within your price range.
There are golden ones out there also ;)