Forums Latest Members
  1. blubarb Sep 9, 2015

Gi guys

had a mishap and this little sleeve at the end of the clasp came flying off my 1499/842 bracelet. Clumsy, right? Luckily I rescued it! Anyway does it have a name, I don't want to look a complete dill when I take it to the watchmaker to see if he can put it together again...

I would have thought it was all one part, but I can see how that would be difficult to manufacture.

Cheers.
    J

IMG_0094.jpg IMG_0095.jpg

2. ulackfocus Sep 9, 2015

I call that the "springbar holder nubby thing at the end of the clasp".

Mad Dog, Giff2577, Willem023 and 2 others like this.
  3. blubarb Sep 9, 2015

Ok. I think I'll go with the "springbar holder nubby thing at the end of the clasp". unless someone else comes up with a better name....anyone????

Edited Sep 9, 2015
    Mad Dog likes this.
  4. blubarb Sep 10, 2015

Looks like it might need a new catch. Ok then. Probably Offrei? Not sure but might be called a clasp slider.

Yes, and buy is not spelt by - I know.

IMG_0097.jpg IMG_0096.jpg

Edited Sep 10, 2015
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 10, 2015

I call it the "broken springbar holder nubby thing at the end of the clasp"...and yes you will need a new clasp as those parts are not sold separately.

Mad Dog likes this.
  6. blubarb Sep 10, 2015

Cheers. Is brazing it back on an option?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 10, 2015

Not a repair I would make personally - too much risk involved. If you could get someone to laser weld it that would be better, but they may still say it's at your risk...

Mad Dog likes this.
  8. blubarb Sep 10, 2015

Thanks, Al. Pretty much what I thought, though never crossed my mind about a laser weld. But to be honest, it's not that big of a cost relative to the watch and also for what you get, including some peace of mind.
    Cheers
    J

9. blubarb Sep 11, 2015

I phoned Swatch in Aus. Very quick and clean. On it's way to me next week. I have never experienced the long delays that I get when I order via a repairer - stumped on why that is!

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 11, 2015

Not all that hard to imagine really. When you get a part like this through your repairer, they are likely ordering from someone else - it's unlikely that they would keep something like this in stock - stock costs money to keep and this would be a slow moving part for sure.

They are not likely going to drop everything and order just your one single part from Omega. They will accumulate orders until they have enough to justify the time and shipping costs of getting parts in from the supplier. How often they order will depend on how many parts they typically buy from that supplier - for me I order from Omega at least once a week, often more than that, but certainly not everyone would do so.

Also consider if they are ordering through some other third party, like a material supplier you see mentioned here (Otto Frei, Cousins, etc.). If it's from a place like this, you can add yet another layer of delays while that company gets enough parts for an order from the actual supplier.

Also note sometimes the in country or local branch of Swatch/Omega will not have the part on hand, and it has to come from Switzerland. Your local branch does the same thing again - they order once a week from the mother ship, so depending on the day the order gets placed, it can be more than a week before the order to Switzerland gets placed, and then the parts usually take 2-3 weeks to get to your country headquarters from Omega in Switzerland.

It all adds up, and if you happen to hit all these delays at once, it will take a long time. You got lucky that the part in question was in stock in your local country, otherwise it would be at least 2-3 weeks.

Cheers, Al

blubarb likes this.
  11. blubarb Sep 11, 2015

Thanks for the thoughtful response as always, Al. Nice to have it explained in the context of the practicing watchmaker and, of course, the practical demands a working business. I certainly was lucky as it was the last clasp for this bracelet model they had in stock and of course I snapped at it. My watchmaker was arguably impressed which made me feel suitably happy with myself I must confess. He likes the nomenclature of "broken springbar holder nubby thing at the end of the clasp" and will, he promises, use it to suitably impress when and if the opportunity should ever arise. :)