Forums Latest Members
  1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 22, 2016

My first post on here was about my PloProf, and since that time, I credit the watch to changing the way in which I collect and my focus on Omega.

While my vintage Rolex are pretty much in original condition, save a case polish here and there, my PloProf was my first major vintage purchase in years, and really taught me that only vintage watches worth owning are ones in original condition with a strong, desirable patina, and a sharp case.

What I have not been able to figure out since owning the watch is where exactly it falls in the spectrum of vintage Omega. After having procured a plethora of other vintage models, it seems to me that is a very niche watch, and one that has always been highly valued and rare, but has never seen the meteoric rise, aside from the time that those went crazy at auction back in 2007 (?). Their value seems to be very stable, and in many cases decrease over time, which is odd.

With tool watches continuing to soar, and the overall explosion of Speedmasters, how does this market shift impact, if all, the PloProf market?

My main reason for asking is that it seems that so many PloProfs were used and abused with many being sent back to Bienne for complete restorations, making original examples in desirable condition even more rare on the market. Fully restored examples in the Speedmaster/SM300/Railmaster market would mean a dramatic decrease in value, much like their Rolex counterparts, but doesn't seem to do the same to PloProfs. Why?

I remember PloProfs bringing $2k+ back in the late 1990's, and had I bought one it may be worth $5-6k now (maybe not), but had I spent that money on a Railmaster, early Seamaster 300 or any number of Speedmasters, they could be worth $10k+.

Any help understanding the enigma of the PloProf viewed through the eyes of fellow Omega collectors would be greatly appreciated.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 22, 2016

It sits in Omegas lineup in the same way the G-Wagon sits in Mercedes, as something awesome and special yet completely vulgar.

3. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 22, 2016

I guess the thread is over after that perfect response.

propervinyl and morethan1 like this.
  4. abrod520 Feb 22, 2016

The thing about the PloProf I think is that it's designed to be so extremely professional as to be way too cumbersome in everyday wear. It's more of a tool than a watch (and a very obsolete one at that) - I can't think of an outfit to wear one with, aside from perhaps an Iron Man or Transformer costume at a comic-con. There will be those who are enthusiastic about them and to them I say, all power to you! But unfortunately, I do not ever see the PloProf becoming en vogue the way the G-wagen has.

divine wind and Foo2rama like this.
  5. Texas_Tom Feb 22, 2016

Ok, now THAT comparison is spot on, and funny as heck

6. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 22, 2016

Love it or hate it, and I think most hate it.

The PLOPROF 1200 is one of my favorite watches I own. A couple months back I purchased a vintage PLOPROF, and I can't wait to get it back from the watchmaker (should be 2-3 more weeks).

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 22, 2016

Nice synopsis, Ash, spot on I may add.
    Unfortunately, for me, I place Speedmasters in the same genre, historically important but definitely tools of the trade and not an accessory for todays gentleman.
    Apollo Speedmasters, Cousteau Ploprofs, Olympic Timers, Observatory Chronometers, all are significant parts of a museum to Omega but are no more appropriate for wear than a F1 Ferrarri is for a daily driver..

Edit. The Observatory watch is a subset of a most wearable watch!

Edited Feb 22, 2016
    tamura likes this.
  8. Texas_Tom Feb 22, 2016

I think the 1970's were simply a terrible time for designing anything.. shag carpet, brown houses, Seamaster Jedi....All an Ode to allot of our birth years.. :)

9. alam Feb 22, 2016

naaa, I think these are still popular in the Midwest (USA)...

1970s.PNG
    OMGRLX, NT931, Etp095 and 1 other person like this.
  10. LiquidSolid Feb 22, 2016

the Ploprof was one of my first vintage pieces I ever purchased. Sure it hasn't appreciated in monetary value as some of my other Omegas, but I still love it. Clearly, other felt the same as Omega came out with the 1200... still, it's a bit like marmite for some. For me, it was the start of acquiring other divers...

[​IMG]

11. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Feb 22, 2016

My Ploprof 600 is my favorite watch by far. In fact, I need another one. MK1 this time. It is odd, for sure, but so am I. I do not know what a G-Wagon is and am afraid to Google it for fear of needing one of them too.

Watchknut.......let me know if you ever want to maximize your profit by selling your MK! to me! :D

12. kpaxsg Feb 22, 2016

13. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Feb 22, 2016

Nothing for sissys...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 22, 2016

Sounds like a plan, and wouldn't it be crazy if the number that maximizes my profit is 10-20% less than market.

Is that even possible?

15. ulackfocus Feb 22, 2016

Personally, I love the PloProf.

What other watch can double as a concealed weapon yet not get you arrested for carrying? You could do more damage with that watch than a blackjack for sure!

flw, Privateday7 and RawArcher like this.
  16. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Feb 22, 2016

Long live the PloProf... It is a serious dive watch for serious divers...

So many dive watches don't even see the kiddy pool ... IF you get a Ploprof you are going to get it wet...

It ain't made to be pretty, it's made to get the job done

17. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 22, 2016

Agnelli can get away with anything...could have even gotten away with belted sweaters

18. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Feb 22, 2016

::popcorn:: Need a "checking my PMs" emoji.........:)

19. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Feb 22, 2016

I think its a bit like having an old corvette ... those are def. nice to look at and have a huge "want-one-now" factor ...

until you really own one ... slow, american "straight hiway only" horse-coach-suspension, crappy brakes, take of that is surpassed by today's 1.2L 3 cyl. powered car, not apt for winter, or not winter ;-) ...

so in short ... great to look at them, not so great to use/have them ...

for the same reason I see many DeepSeas for sale as well ... it's better than the best (sub) ... until you really have to put it on ...

Foo2rama likes this.
  20. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 22, 2016

Quick question, how many have actually ever worn a vintage PloProf for any amount of time?

I'll admit, I bought mine, like many of my watches, never having actually seen one in the flesh, let alone having tried one on.

Everyone speaks of how uncomfortable and awkward they, yet I find mine very easy to wear, especially on a shark mesh or Isofrane.

Etp095 likes this.