Forums Latest Members

What Is An Acceptable Premium For Limited Edition? Seamaster Ian Thorpe

1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 12, 2012

I've been looking for Seamaster Pro Electric Blue 2255.80 for sometimes, and my local dealer friend contact me with this watch. It is gorgeous as I liked, but his offer is somewhat in high side. around 40% above normal price that was completed in Ebay. Why? Because this one is a Limited Edition Ian Thorpe which only produced 100 units. However this LE version difference with normal one is only its caseback and you will have a certificate signed by Omega President and Ian Thorpe himself.

Do you think it's a fair premium or should I just wait the normal version come along?
    Thank you for your valuable opinion.

ps: another seller's reason why the price is high: the number is 68, 6 means man, 8 means lucky, so 68 is lucky man :p

SMIT front MR.jpg

SMIT caseback MR.jpg

SMIT certif MR.jpg

Jamgantenk likes this.
  2. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 13, 2012

Respectable Member Privateday7

While I am still attending in-service lessons from respectable forum members, regarding vintage-watches, I know nothing about all the new ones.

Apparently Omega produce quite a good number of limited edition pieces, over recent times and whether or not, these watches will hold their value as much as the desirable vintage ones, it is not easy to tell. However, I know '68' is a lucky number for the Chinese, Feng Shui-wise.

Hopefully those with a wide knowledge and experience about limited editions will be able to advise you.

Personally, the only new watch that I would like to get one of these days, is the Rolex Sea-Dweller Deepsea. It is something different, I feel.

Meanwhile, good luck and happy hunting.

Thank-you.

Jamgantenk likes this.
  3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 13, 2012

Dear respectable Seamonster,

Thank you for your opinion. Still waiting another experts' opinion on modern Omega, otherwise I may as well pass the opportunity.
    I may have to follow your suit........just be patience and stick with the plan.......

4. William.H.Bonney Dec 21, 2012

For a 100 only run the price seems fair but 40% above for just a caseback detail seems high Imo.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 22, 2012

The problem is he's an Australian swimming star that doesn't swim anymore, that most Australians have forgotten about at this point.

Jamgantenk and Trev like this.
  6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 22, 2012

If the Australian Omega fans didn't think it's attractive enough, certainly Indonesian's will not bet on it.........:)

Jamgantenk likes this.
  7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 25, 2012

Patience pays...................
    After returning the LE Ian Thorpe because what I feel as too steep premium, I still yearn for a SMP electric blue.
    Yesterday when I visit my favorite local shop in Blok M Plaza, I saw one in showcase.......but wait........ why it's not so shiny? Couldn't it be.....?
    Yes............a titanium version !!!!!
    After short haggling.........I went home with big smile. You wouldn't believe how light it is for a SMP. Looks like I have new daily wearer.

SM300 Ti front MR black bg.jpg SM300 Ti front2 MR black mirror bg.jpg SM300 Ti back MR.jpg SM300 Ti clasp MR.jpg

Jamgantenk likes this.
  8. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Dec 25, 2012

Are you done for the year yet?:p Nice one.:thumbsup:

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 25, 2012

Thanks............I am done.....I am done ......... and I am done. Even I couldn't trust myself :p . Must stay away from watch shop, forum market place and text from sellers.

Jamgantenk likes this.
  10. ulackfocus Dec 25, 2012

Very nice! :thumbsup:

11. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 25, 2012

A vintage-watch enthusiast is just like a woman, after giving birth to her first child. When asked if she wants another baby, she will most probably reply, 'OMG, no more, one is enough'.

If you happen to meet her again, after six years or so, more than likely she will have more than one child, if not five more.

Do remember, what we are suffering from a disease that has no cure.

Thank-you.

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 26, 2012

Dear respectable Seamonster,

How very true. Two weeks ago I read Desmond article on managing emotion and pacing in watch collection. (http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/2010/03/emoting-about-vintage-watches.html). A very fine article for reflection that I hope I can follow in 2013.

Thank you.

13. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 26, 2012

It cannot be disputed, Desmond (mondodec) is an accomplished expert in Omega vintage-watches.

I am just wondering, how many people after taking his 'anti-biotic', have genuinely been cured.

Please let me know, how long you will be able to abstain. One day, one week, one month, one year or several years. You will come back again, as soon as, you see another beauty passing by, in front of you.

The only time you will totally wipe out this passion is when, you cannot see, you cannot hear and you cannot feel. Of course, I am only saying this, based on own true personal experience. From my personal observations, no one has been cured of this malady. NEVER!

Thank-you.

Privateday7 likes this.
  14. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 26, 2012

15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 26, 2012

You are very welcome.......:thumbsup:

16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 26, 2012

Dear respectable Seamonster.
    I understand your reasoning. Even when I try to be resolute and after seeing how dent created in my investment pool fund, my tricky mind has already plotting for a 2013 wish list. So yes, I would not totally stop it, but instead I will try to build a longer checklists before any purchasing to pace down my desire to buy more watches.

Thank you.

17. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 26, 2012

It is good to know the passion is still alive in you.

It is only usual, most of us began with quantity and slowly explore into the arena of affordable quality pieces. I think, as long as you get advice and guidance from respectable enthusiasts and experts here, very unlikely you will not go wrong. Anyway, the good vintage-watches will give us many years of enjoyment and happiness, compared to some other pastimes.

Thank-you.

18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 26, 2012

Amen...........

Agree, so far it's one of best thing happened: a hobby that I can enjoy in hunting & maintaining, I can do it in home with my family member, I can wear it proudly, meet new friends online & offline and finally with some luck, a vehicle of investment.

19. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 26, 2012

You have adopted the correct attitude and I wish you, every luck and success. Most importantly enjoy, love and cherish the good vintage pieces that come your way. However do keep in mind, the highly desirable ones have many admirers.

Thank-you.