Forums Latest Members

What if we have been doing NATO's wrong the entire time?

1. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 21, 2020

OK, this video got randomly recommended to me on youtube. The theory that the the 2nd flap on the nato was to keep it attached in a failure makes no sense in the traditional way we wear it. This guy has another way to wear a nato that makes a lot more sense... at least from the protection standpoint. This way protects from both a springbar failure, and a buckle failure...Additionally it reduces the height of the watch and makes it less prone to getting snagged. You can think about it as turning a 5 ring into a 3 ring without removing the 2nd piece.

I tried it, it’s comfy and makes sense even with an extra long diving NATO. I don’t think this will work with Omega NATO’s as they have different proportions. :edit: it will not work with the square keeper Omega NATO straps as the square keepers are fixed position and aligned wrong to make it work comfortably. The proportions work, though and the non fixed keeper versions should work this way.

image.jpg

Edited Feb 21, 2020
  2. 140dave Feb 21, 2020

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Will have to try this when I get home from work today.

3. Dan S Feb 21, 2020

I think you can accomplish the same goal by simply cutting off the flap or buying a single-pass strap without the extra flap. The way he uses it, I don't think the flap is doing anything but getting in the way. To the extent I like the flap (which I really don't), I appreciate that it keeps the strap from sliding off the watch when I take it off my wrist. This has occasionally happened to me with a standard single-pass strap if I make the mistake of holding it by the buckle end.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. alam Feb 21, 2020

NATO straps are just wrong all the time :p

Fritz, mancio, Kmart and 18 others like this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 21, 2020

I'm going for the original use case. It does seem provide insurance against buckle failure in a way the normal way does not, as well as lowering the height to protect against snags that could lead to failure of the spring bars or buckle failure. To me if the buckle fails using this method it will bind, not fall off. Though I will admit some argue the flap is so that when held by the buckle end the watch does not fall off.

I am a big proponent of 3 rings ie single pass straps, and have had more then a few made for my watches. I just thought this was very interesting, and I am surprised it works so well.

Rowdy and Dan S like this.
  6. Dan S Feb 21, 2020

I agree that if the buckle failed, this method is likely to keep the watch on your wrist, at least for long enough to rescue it. That's an interesting point, and something I never really considered. Obviously the NATO flap does nothing with respect to spring-bar failure beyond a standard single pass strap. Funny that some people think that is the case.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. gdupree Feb 21, 2020

I think I tried this before, probably from watching the same video. I can't really see how it insures against a buckle failure, still. Seems like it would just slide through same as when it's put on... The double passing the strap excess back through the retainer rings probably does more for buckle failure, since it would have a hard time pulling the double pass back through. I do like the height reduction though. Like many others, I typically just heat up a knife and chop off the extra flap.

w154 likes this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 21, 2020

There is another downside to this new way.. its a PITA to put on lol. I'm going to try it out for a few days with a super cheap strap and report back.

DaveK and alam like this.
  9. alam Feb 21, 2020

I have to say that this "less shouty" method [IMO] offers a much cleaner (nicer) look than its normal configuration which I can only describe as the "excess baggage" look :coffee:

:p

Benbradstock and Foo2rama like this.
  10. MRC Feb 21, 2020

Nah.

Ok, it reduces height but all that underwrist hardware bangs against the keyboard,

P2210233m.JPG

and this

P2210234m.JPG

is ugly. (Hairy wrist and old fleece possibly don't help.)

P2210231m.JPG

Besides it makes it harder to point the tongue out at NATO haters :whistling:

tikkathree, Wryfox and Foo2rama like this.
  11. Dan S Feb 21, 2020

A buckle failure would typically involve a failure of the stitching holding the buckle in its loop, in which case the buckle would still be attached to the strap by the tang and could not pass through the metal loop of the flap. I suspect that is what @Foo2rama is referring to. Even if the spring-bar holding a buckle into a sewn loop failed and the buckle were lost, the tang would still remain in place attached to the spring-bar and passing through the hole in the strap, and would likely bind against the metal loop of the flap.

You are perhaps thinking of a buckle failure that involves breakage or loss of the tang, which is possible, but very rare I think, and would be quite difficult to protect against.

Edited Feb 21, 2020
  12. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Feb 21, 2020

I thought that the whole purpose of OmegaForums.Net was so we don't get any work done anyway.

13. Lurk41 Feb 21, 2020

That is an interesting video, so I ended doing some research around NATO straps :D

Basically I found
    - a detailed history of military strap and watch specs (must read IMO) https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guides/history-nato-watch-strap-3
    - and bit of history but also an explanation about the 2nd slap (french) https://www.lecalibre.com/bracelet-nato/#Le_bracelet_G10

The first link is very interesting as you can see the evolution of the whole thing. But it gives no explanation about the extra flap... The only thing "relevent" is the Smith service manual, showing a 2-flap strap (pre-G10 but very similar) on the watch: it is wore the "common" way.

Now on the french site, it says the reason of this flap is - indeed not to secure the watch in case a bar fails but - to avoid the watch moving around the strap. The watch is condemned to stay in the loop area.
    Early military straps had 2 small loops for the spring bars, so the watch could not fall nor move. The drawback was you had to remove the bars to put the strap on the watch (it also means you could not use it on fixed bars)

Last but not least, I realize thanks to all this info that James Bond never wore a NATO strap. So, please do not talk about what is the true Bond NATO anymore :D

noelekal likes this.
  14. gdupree Feb 21, 2020

Good point. I was thinking of a tang break. But that happens approximately never.

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 21, 2020

Or the spring bar in the buckle.... it’s weaker then the ones on the watch and would also be a point of failure of the watch was caught on something.

16. Tremendous Ox Mar 4, 2020

Further reading with more detail on the smiths general and strap:[Smiths General Service (GS) Watch Strap - A.F.0210.](https://af0210strap.com/smiths-general-service-gs-watch/)

17. zoohannover Mar 4, 2020

Edited Mar 4, 2020
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 4, 2020

Ahh the keyboard, they never thought of that when creating a strap for military wear in muddy forests and jungles....:whistling:

Kmart, Emeister, DaveK and 4 others like this.
  19. rafbid99 Mar 4, 2020

20. janice&fred Mar 4, 2020

marco, noelekal and dennisthemenace like this.