Forums Latest Members
  1. sulaco Jan 15, 2014

Hi Guys, my first post in 2014 and i wish you a healty and fortunate new year.

Just wanted to ask the experts about the first Speedy i aquired in 2014 its a 105.003 from 65 according to the caseback but it was bought
    in 1966 as far as the first owner, from whom i did buy it, could remember.
    I think i should show you the pictures first and then ask the questions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what would i like to know, ok lets go.
    Apart from the obviously wrong Bezel, wrong second hand and wrong crown is there anything else that looks suspicious
    to you?
    The watch was not worn that much and it was regulary serviced. Has it been polished too much?
    What really dirves me crazy is the dial, it looks soo new compared to my 145.012. The 105.003 dial looks matte black, like
    the one on my 20th Aniversaryfrom 89 on the right, but it is a panpie like dial as it should be.
    The plots are Tritium as are the hands and even as they look white/green/brownish they are not relumed its the original Tritium.
    The Serial is late for 65 you can see it in the upper picture. my 69 145.012 even has an earlier number starting with 26075...
    Pretty strange isn´t it?
    So please guys let me know if you see anything suspicious!

Thanks so much

Cheers

René

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Torquemada, Tritium and Varasc like this.
  2. Varasc Jan 15, 2014

Simply outstanding. What a beautiful trio.

3. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jan 15, 2014

Overall the piece looks great. Besides the mentioned items it looks correct. Attached is a photo of a 105.003 that I had

unnamed (1).jpg
    Gavin likes this.
  4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 15, 2014

The 105.003 dial doesn't look original to the watch - the fonts don't look correct and the lume is incorrect.

about3blank, stef2010 and TLIGuy like this.
  5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 15, 2014

I see that the lume doesn't go to the edge, but what is it about the fonts?

6. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jan 15, 2014

Come to look at it the font on the word "Omega" looks a little off and the markers are wrong..

7. rolexfantastic Jan 15, 2014

Hi

A 26 mill serial correspond for 68 cal. 321 and 69 cal. 861 Speedmasters.
    But that's not necessarily a standard because i happen to own 68 with 28 mill and 69 with 29 mill...
    Though my straight lugs models are mostly within the chronological serial standards.
    See if there is any color difference between the serial bridge and the rest of the movement.
    Omega 321 and 861 movements although "red" have various signs of patina and you could never say 2 movements look identical in color after years of use; so if parts in your watch have different patina or color, it should be easy to find them.
    If you're still not sure, then get an Extrait d'Archives from Omega; it should be some 75 CHF. This should be the way to find out if case, movement and dial are from the same movie.
    The chrono hand is indeed wrong just like the bezel, but i wouldn't mind about the dial.
    It's 100% authentic and i would be more then happy to buy if from you if you wish to source a tarnished one instead...
    Let me admire the case condition too.
    I saw here many comments about how a genuine and original should look like but i'm sure the same collectors would love to have their Speedmasters in great condition.
    All the parts seem original although some wrong but as long as they are factory original you should not have any remorse if you wish to wear it like that.
    When talking about originality many collectors really don't know how the first type of crystal looked like, what was the crown size, the first type pushers size, etc, but for most of them, as long as it looks used, the bezel faded, the crystal scratched and the movement possibly not serviced for the last 30 years it's enough...
    I personally like the condition of yours; so nice find! If original, i would not hesitate to buy either.

/F

8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 15, 2014

Specifically: the lume should go to the edge of the dial in the same way your 105.012 does. The font for Swiss Made should be taller and narrower & as an example of the other fonts, the E in Omega should be wider - compare the fonts to the dial on George's example.

The serial no is not necessarily an issue. The serial no's were not as neatly issued as many of the tables on the internet would have you believe. I think speedy4ever in another thread estimated that a 26,5xx,xxx serial would still be legit for a 105.012-66.

9. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jan 15, 2014

Definitely looks like an 861 step dial that someone took the process of painting over the painted Omega symbol and inserted a raised logo as well as reprinting the Omega word..

10. rolexfantastic Jan 15, 2014

It's not at all a 861 dial.
    I also have a 1968 321 Speedmaster delivered in 1969 with a painted logo and 26 mill serial.
    This is why i raised the serial question.
    In a 2003 document, in a communication with Omega, they clearly say in 1968 they introduced the painted logo.
    This is not an 861 dial.
    The "worst" scenario, would be a service dial somewhere before 90's.

/F

11. sulaco Jan 15, 2014

Sometimes you need more than two eyes to see the obvious ;) thanks guys, the idices should be longer no doubt.
    Could it be a very early service dial?
    Because i hardly doubt that this is a repainted dial with an glued logo on it..
    Even with 60x magnification i can´t see any alteration near the logo or the writing.

@all and rolexfanatic thanks for the kind words... this is my second 105.003 and i really like it a lot despite its problems
    For clarification i will order an extract surely

12. rolexfantastic Jan 15, 2014

An extract should help you find out more on the originality but the dial is 100% correct, no doubts about that.
    It can be a service dial but i can assure you it's not a modern service dial.
    It has at least one element that should make the difference between them, and the bonus is your has patina which is nice.

/F

13. sulaco Jan 15, 2014

It could be a early 70ties service dial when they still used stepped dials

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 15, 2014

An extract would be of no help determining dial originality. Omega lost a lot of their information on the 321 movements and many newer extracts issued just tell you when it was delivered and no longer tell you what case the movement originally came in.

And AFAIK, the painted logo is incorrect for the 321 - the dials that came with that movement came with the applied and not painted logo. And Kringkily is probably correct regarding the dial origins - I am not aware of an omega dial that came from the factory in exactly this configuration - combination of the font style, the absence of the word "professional" the lume marker style and the tritium marking - so I think alterations may have been made to it.

15. rolexfantastic Jan 15, 2014

The extract should tell what was the case ref. that came with that movement serial #.
    Part of the archive is indeed lost but most of the times is very helpful. At least for those interested in such things...

The painted dial was released in 1968 and after, and were assembled for remaining 321 stock that sold until 1970. There are - 321 case ref - 68 extension retailed in 1970.
    The 861 and 321 retailed with the same case ref. in 1968. Then we know the 69, the 69 second version, the gold version, etc. and then the ultra popular 70 to current day back case version.
    There are 321 Speedmasters retailed with painted logo dials. As i said i have a 2003 communication document with Omega.
    The information came to me from the original owner of a 145.012-68 along with the watch.

/F

16. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 15, 2014

The 2003 document that you quote just gives you a date when the painted logo dial was produced - unless I am mistaken but does it explicitly say that the painted logo dial came from the factory with the 321 movement? In fact the earliest 861 speedmasters still featured a dial with the affixed rather than painted logo. If your watch has a dial with the painted logo (and especially if it has the shortened lume markers) then I can comfortably say that the dial was not originally paired with a 321 movement. In fact I am also not sure that the 321 movement is correct for a 145-012-68 case (unless you have an extract that explicitly says the -68 caseback is paired with the 321 movement with the correct serial number).

watchyouwant and JohnSteed like this.
  17. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jan 15, 2014

There has never been a pre-professional dial with non extended markers. You can tell this dial is not original.

I just overlooked it on my phone but sitting at my computer looking at it, it is clear.

We can agree to disagree on a 321 movement being in a painted logo during the transition year as who knows a few maybe have been sold that way but as for a 1965 with that kind of dial I would have to disagree to a T.

18. sulaco Jan 15, 2014

So what is it then,as i said you dont see any alteration or repainting on the dial even under magnification!?
    and the term never should be wisely used when talking about vintage Omega, i think.
    ;)

19. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 15, 2014

Most likely explanation is that it is a service dial.

Otherwise you are suggesting that it is an original dial on perhaps the most avidly collected Omega which is in a configuration not reported elsewhere and not known to some of the most experienced collectors around.

It's not impossible, but the odds are against it...

20. ulackfocus Jan 15, 2014

The odds of my hair regrowing overnight are better.

JohnSteed likes this.