Forums Latest Members

What happened to the thread about French sellers?

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 29, 2019

Hi, I’ve been trying to find the recent thread about French sellers?

Since I’ve had problems receiving notices of replies I was curious whether any replies had been posted on it.
    Has anyone seen it?
    I spent about quite a bit of time drawing up a post about French perceptions of Americans during WWII — and vice versa—to dispell some very damaging misconceptions, I was really proud of it— and it seems the thread has vanished?

Have moderators parked it away it on grounds it didn’t add value?

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 29, 2019

Syrte, as a history buff, I would be most interested!
    Let me know if you find it. I can't imagine censorship (knowing how polite and gentle you are) but perhaps it was moved.

airansun, noelekal and Syrte like this.
  3. Ludi Dec 29, 2019

I concur, the thread is available no more.

Syrte likes this.
  4. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Dec 29, 2019

I remember reading the thread, do you remember roughly when? Here is a picture of your ‘activity’ up to October which I would have thought covered it?? Let me know if this helps, or if you want to see earlier dates.
    939B1862-D12C-496B-8322-C60F824BACDF.png

5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Dec 29, 2019

I’d love to read that Syrte. On a somewhat related note, did anyone see the Rolex in the movie the Resistance Banker?

Syrte likes this.
  6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 29, 2019

Thanks but it was a very recent thread - definitely posted within the past month.
    I don’t think it would have been censorship of my post but I’m inclined to suspect someone thought the rest of it didn’t add value and threw the baby with the bath water.
    Something I would find disheartening and misguided considering 1/ my effort 2/ the importance of dispelling prejudices and bias 3/ and 3/ when you see how many vapid discussions are left in place.

Andy K, oinkitt and noelekal like this.
  7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 29, 2019

No but the name of the movie sounds interesting. (More than the Rolex if you don’t mind me saying).

8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 29, 2019

Another vote for the opportunity to read your post Syrte.

JwRosenthal, Rumar89, DaveK and 3 others like this.
  9. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 29, 2019

If I remember correctly, a certain member who obviously had a grievance of some sort against the French spouted off some absolute garbage accusing them of just about everything except eating their own babies, and the Mods rightly shut the thread down.

DaveK and cicindela like this.
  10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 29, 2019

Yeah, and I spent a lot of effort making a reply which I thought adequately adressed some of the misguided comments. Shutting the thread down is fine but you can close a thread without removing it and I’m quite upset that my reply is gone.

Also @Ludi was the one who mentioned « I hear they eat their own babies », and it was a hilarious reply -
    with a great sense of humor.

Edited Dec 29, 2019
    chronos likes this.
  11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 29, 2019

Perhaps it is possible for the thread to be retrieved? Some forums provide for a repository for deleted threads by moderation staff. I moderate on such a forum.

Members of an international forum of this caliber do not deserve to be denied quality forum content because someone nurses a small-minded grievance. "Grind the axes" someplace else beside OmegaForum!

Syrte likes this.
  12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 29, 2019

PS also.... if you value freedom of expression sometimes it’s more important to let debates stand, and everyone can see for themselves what responses can be made to prejudice. It’s a case by case analysis but in this instance I submit there was value in the fact there were a series of good replies — not just mine. Eliminating the thread is not eliminating the prejudices. keeping the thread means there is a response which remains available.

13. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 29, 2019

Get over yourself.
    The Mods here are fair but firm. If they think a thread has got out of hand and degenerated into unacceptable behaviour they will delete said thread.
    It's not the first time this has happened and certainly won't be the last, given the unprecedented numbers of new members signing up lately.

14. EauTerre Dec 29, 2019

Alternately they could lock the thread instead of downright deleting it ; especially if it contains a few valuable posts.

Syrte likes this.
  15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 29, 2019

Sorry, I’m not sure what that means? Is this as harsh and abrupt as I perceive it?

EauTerre likes this.
  16. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 29, 2019

Uncalled for.
    I perceived it as you did, Syrte.

17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 29, 2019

I recall this thread had become nasty and jingoistic. I suspect the mods pulled it.

Archer likes this.
  18. MRC Dec 29, 2019

From wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_the_Menace_and_Gnasher

Possibly our DtM is behaving "in character".

Syrte likes this.
  19. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 29, 2019

It's a British saying, meaning to stop being a drama queen.
    I said it before I realised you had edited your post where you said that you were very very upset that your post had disappeared to just being upset.

20. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 29, 2019

Seems incredibly insulting, patronizing and frankly sexist. We all have our reasons to take certain things seriously.
    I happen to take history more seriously than I do watches.

And Edit/add, I can completely understand the mods sometimes have to make certain decisions- that’s a separate matter.

Edited Dec 29, 2019
    yako54, kov, Rumar89 and 3 others like this.