Forums Latest Members

What do you think of this watch? (longines on ebay)

1. Melanieds Oct 18, 2021

2. OllieOnTheRocks Oct 18, 2021

1940s Longines. Dial looks good. Hands look correct. Lume probably redone as very green. Case looks okay - plated possibly and showing some wear. Movement looks good - but will need service. Looks like a nice watch in my opinion at a not so outrageous price. If you compare to sold listings on eBay it should give you an idea of whether it is a fair asking price. Ultimately if the price is fine, and you like it, I think you could do much worse!

wagudc likes this.
  3. wagudc Oct 18, 2021

I agree with @OllieOnTheRocks, but I am less enthusiastic about the price. The case is chrome so it will not clean up in the same way a steel case would. You can make an offer if you like it.

4. BlueHands Oct 18, 2021

It's all said, price much to high for a chromium plated watch in this condition. Look for a steel watch, you find them with similar dials if you like it,

Lucasssssss and minutenrohr like this.
  5. Melanieds Oct 18, 2021

Thanks I hadn’t clocked it being chrome

6. minutenrohr Oct 19, 2021

I join BlueHands. A 33mm/chromed brass case watch should be a bit cheaper. If you want to sell something like that someday (at least in Germany...) you will often get the information: We don't buy that. Steel, steel-gold or gold - but no watch with a case that eats itself, if you wear it.

7. Melanieds Oct 19, 2021

How can you tell it’s chrome? Not challenging you btw - just wonder how to spot it for the future.

8. wagudc Oct 19, 2021

You can see the yellow brass through the scratches here. It also says it is chromed brass in the details of the listing. Newer pieces often say "stainless steel back" which implies the rest is not stainless.

Screenshot_20211019-060903_eBay.jpg

minutenrohr, DaveK and Melanieds like this.
  9. Dan S Oct 19, 2021

Cases like that don't appeal to me, but I understand that some people like watches that look old and worn. If that's your goal, it could look old again if you had the hands re-lumed to match the numerals. However, it would only make sense at less than half of the asking price IMO.

jjen likes this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 19, 2021

Dan S likes this.
  11. Dan S Oct 19, 2021

Unpolished with a pristine dial. ;)

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 19, 2021

How I like them ;)

13. Melanieds Oct 19, 2021

Thank you- that’s what I’m looking for! 8888, you say?

14. BlueHands Oct 19, 2021

Or the ref. 5411, here is mine. OK case has been polished, but I like it nevertheless. It's really a toolwatch and not so uncommon.
    Ref. 5411-2.JPG

Warthog likes this.
  15. Melanieds Oct 19, 2021

Also gorgeous

16. jjen Oct 19, 2021

The relumed hands in the listing would be enough to say no IMHO

17. LesXL Oct 19, 2021

And here is mine :) There are plenty of better options out there
    original_e2b95c9d-d782-4e4e-b841-35ec7c0a6fd8_PXL_20211007_122128495.jpg

18. OllieOnTheRocks Oct 19, 2021

I think it comes to taste, the 8888 @STANDY shows is a fantastic watch, in fantastic condition but aesthetically it does absolutely nothing for me. I prefer a watch with design that is more in line with the first watch. it's more legible and has a great character. I will pick a watch with an even patina everyday over a NOS dial. But that's just my taste. I like the 'vintage' look. All of my watches from the 1950s, similar to the 8888 I've ended up selling, or I never wear. In fact my first series Omega Geneves are the only watches from the 50s I wear. I've sold my Longines Conquest & Universal Geneve Polerouters as they're shiny and audacious, and don't represent the aesthetic qualities I enjoy.

My point of this reply is not to say the 8888 is a bad watch, I can absolutely see the merit in it for someone who likes that kind of thing (perhaps the mainstream collector), but for me it holds no value. So, I suggest, you look at as many Longines 8888 models and Longines with the 12.68 movements, as you can. Lots of exploration and pictures will help you to ascertain what your heart is most drawn to.

It's hard to do on a computer screen, but through the 60 or so watches I've owned, I've learnt that I prefer numerals to markers, I prefer blued hands to steel, I prefer white dials to black etc. etc. It's a matter of learning and developing your tastes that suit you as an individual and that is part of the magic of collecting.

But while people are referring to relume being a reason to walk away from this watch, I completely disagree, for a watch like this with little value, I wouldn't hesitate having the hands re-lumed, it is cheap and can turn a watch around. There are 'master' re-lumers who really work wonders. One such example is the alchemistrelumer who you can find on instagram, he relumes vintage watches that can be worth as little as a few hundred pounds all the way up to Rolex's worth tens of thousands of pounds. The others seem to think the watch is on the high side price wise, but there is the make an offer button if you like it despite its drawbacks. If you like it and think its worth half the asking price - put that offer in! I would use the points of the wear on the case, and the relume hands are reasoning for your lower offer and if they decline your offer it's no big deal.

Whilst I would not buy the watch the OP showed in this thread, because it would be redundant in my collection, and is not in perfect condition. If it is the watch you have your heart set on then I think you can do a lot worse. Steel cases are better than chromed ones of course, but I have a couple in my collection and I'm glad their case didn't dissuade me from buying them. E.g. my 1938 Tissot, it has some wear but the dial is beautiful and that is why I bought it:

Screenshot 2021-10-19 at 21.46.12.png

To sum up, look at lots of pictures of Longines from the 1930-1950s and decide what appeals to you most. If it is indeed a Longines you wish to have. If you're not specifically looking for Longines, also check out Omega, Zenith, Tissot.

Once you have a defined direction and idea of what you are looking for the hunt can begin!

BlueHands and Warthog like this.
  19. Melanieds Oct 19, 2021

thanks everyone! 5411 is one to look for

20. BlueHands Oct 20, 2021

For sure, I had mine first-class-serviced some years ago for around 600 €. The hands are also relumed, but the watchmaker did it in vintage style, not green, not vanilla, not white. There are lots of options out there in that dial style, see other brands like the lovely Tissot above.