Forums Latest Members

What do you think of this one for a beginner collector?

1. piperjim Sep 18, 2013

2. ulackfocus Sep 18, 2013

I seriously doubt it's an "all original" dial - it looks like it's been repainted. That hurts the value tremendously, but sellers will say it to try to snag an inexperienced buyer. Good thing you asked first.

Using the word "military" is another exaggeration to try to pump up the price. It may be the same style or similar to the military watches, but I don't think that's an actual military issued watch or it would be noted on the outside of the case back.

Wait for somebody more versed in these to comment.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 18, 2013

Dial is of the correct style, but it is a older refinish. The thing is that with this particular model, the original dials had major problems with radium and environmental damage from poor lacquer. Probably 75% of the remaining population have had the dials worked on. Here's my original example:

[​IMG]

This eBay watch is missing the "Swiss Made" at the bottom between the "5" and "7".

The case reference is correct for a US Army issued watch, but in order to be sure, there must be a "US Army" stamp on the outside of the caseback. This reference was also used for regular civilian watches, so without that stamp it is impossible to prove military provenance. The stamp was sometimes very lightly done and often gets polished away. Closer inspection is warranted.

The BIN price would be cheap if it were all legit. As is, it's probably worth a low-ball offer.
    gatorcpa

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 18, 2013

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 18, 2013

Gone, piperjim did you get it?
    otherwise, have you looked at our own for sale forum?

6. piperjim Sep 19, 2013

Thanks for the collective wisdom. No, I didn't get it. I have to admit that I just don't know enough to play this game!! Will just have to rely on the guidance from you folks! Will check the forum's 'for sale' section.
    Thanks
    piperjim

7. ulackfocus Sep 19, 2013

No worries, neither do I when it comes to these pre-1950 manual winds.

8. agee Sep 19, 2013

Ref # 2384 is the correct # for the US Army stamped Omega, but without that stamp this watch cannot be called US Army-it would be a US Army style Omega. There is a very big difference in the values and collectiblity of each
    The dial in the Ebay listing is certainly not original although it appears to be a decent redial
    I own 2 2384's and 2 2179's all with the US Army stamp (1 2384 has a redone dial) on the case back and the dials are not the same as in the Ebay listing.
    I am looking for the correct dial as pictured above by Gatorcpa-any chance you'd like to let it go so I can marry my US Army watch with the correct dial?
    Here are some pictures
    2179 and 2384
    The next to last photo is of the redone dial on my other 2384 IMG_0589.JPG IMG_1069.JPG Omega US Army (1).jpg omega us army redial 2.jpg omega usaarmy redial 1.jpg
    IMG_0589.JPG

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 19, 2013

There is no way I would allow my watch to be parted out. It was obtained from the original owner's family. The owner was stationed in Germany just after WWII and received the watch for his participation with a US Army Air Corps basketball team that won a USAFE tournament in Wiesbaden.

[​IMG]

I don't think that it originally had the US Army stamp on the back, as the case reference and serial numbers are a bit later than known stamped cases. However, it was obtained through military service. My theory on it was that it came through the PX system (possibly as surplus) and was later engraved as a momento either by the owner or the team.

You should swap the hands between the redone dial and the first (and last) watch. Then that one will be 100% correct. I've seen junker watches with this dial on eBay from time to time, but those dials are generally trashed.

Good luck.
    gatorcpa

10. wwhntr Sep 19, 2013

While on the subject of 2384's/2179's, please take a look a these and give me your input/opinions on originality of dials and marking on back.

The U.S. Army stamped back is on a 2384 and has the lighter colored dial. I am suspicious of the originality of the stamp on the 2384, but price paid was worth the gamble.

The darker color dial is a 2179, which I believe to be all original/correct.

IMG_0837.JPG IMG_0838.JPG IMG_0839.JPG

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 19, 2013

Both look 100% correct to me from the outside. Stamp is correct as well. There were two versions. Yours is the same as agee's 2nd watch above.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

12. wwhntr Sep 19, 2013

Good news! I was unsure about the 2384 with U. S. Army stamp...thought only the 2179's were stamped.

Seller's response to my inquiry of how they got possession of watch:

"I got the watch with the pilots misc items from a estate. I don't know a lot but he did serve in the ETO and in his box of insignia is both glider and regular pilot wings. I have his Class A jacket with a glider wing, ribbons for good conduct, ETO,air medal and purple heart. His name is in the coat and I am going to take some photos of the jacket and the name tag and email them to you. Patch on the jacket is bullion AAf on the left and it looks like there may have been something on the right but not now and not for a long time now. I worked the estate sale people and they told me this jacket and the box of insignia with the watch was found in a suit case in the attic and it was not a member of this family and the current living members of the family did not know the person or anything about him."

Trying to get more info, pictures, or articles that belonged to this pilot.

13. agee Sep 19, 2013

Great provenance

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 19, 2013

Not surprised. Every reference I have seen to an original owner of this style of watch points to the Army Air Force, rather than the regular Army. There has been speculation that after WWII the Army continued to order and issue these, but did not have Omega stamp them due to the fact that the Air Force was in the process of becoming a separate branch of the military.

This finally happened in 1947.
    gatorcpa