What do you think of this Omega Speedmaster pre-moon?

Hi OFers,

I recently came across a (in my eyes) lovely vintage Speedmaster. The seller claims its a pre-moon, even though it was delivered in 1970. He says it can be classified as pre-moon because it doesn't have the branding yet.

Furthermore he says it is all original, including the original bracelet (or atleast a period correct bracelet), and original/period correct box. It's difficult for me to judge as I know these Speedmasters are often messed with, what do you guys think? Is this all original?

And also, what do you think would be a fair price?

It's a:
Omega 145.022-69ST pre-Moon Speedmaster DO90 m. Omega-Extract

Here are pictures:

TBH this is the kind of watch that I immediately dismiss, no matter what the price. The damaged dial alone on this common reference would be reason enough to look elsewhere. Together with the tired looking case and an 1171 which I don't feel adds much to the package.

An Extract is always nice and is a welcome addition but with that and the box I have a feeling that this watch 'set' is going to be priced as if it were a show stopper?

TBH this is the kind of watch that I immediately dismiss, no matter what the price. The damaged dial alone on this common reference would be reason enough to look elsewhere. Together with the tired looking case and an 1171 which I don't feel adds much to the package.

An Extract is always nice and is a welcome addition but with that and the box I have a feeling that this watch 'set' is going to be priced as if it were a show stopper?

Asking €6500,-

It's very hard for me to see what is on the glass and what is on the dial. Is this dial really that bad for a 50 year old watch? I don't really know what to look for with these watches so i'm curious what the problems are that you see and i don't!

upload_2021-6-3_22-12-16.png

Closeup for convenience

The only thing I see are some marks between 1 and 2, and perhaps some small dust speckles and such. Obviously some patina, but nothing out of the ordinary to me. Please let me know what i'm missing!

Is it just me, but the 633 ends do not look to be engraved as they should be for he vintage?

Inked1232664-a86fee257649e1d2651c79bfa613a27f_LI.jpg

This whole region is missing large areas of the print. The area between 1 and 2 looks like it could be bubbling

This whole region is missing large areas of the print. The area between 1 and 2 looks like it could be bubbling

Oh wow. I was looking at that region but I somehow missed that thinking it was reflection or something. Good that you have a keen eye!

From your comments I take it €6500,- isn't exactly a bargain? What would be a fair price according to you?

😲

I'm not feeling it!

Missed this message, thanks. I think i'll pass as the Seller doesn't seem negotiable, just out of curiousity, what would be a fair price?

Missed this message, thanks. I think i'll pass as the Seller doesn't seem negotiable, just out of curiousity, what would be a fair price?

If I was really going to buy it I wouldn't pay more than €3.75K for it. Others may pay more of course but I see it as a watch with no redeeming features and price it as such

Yes, the delamination is what struck me.

For me it would be an immediate PASS!!! As others have pointed out: the dial has serious issues in the 1-4 o’clock region (even wonder if there was water ingress in there), the hole in the lug at 10 o’clock looks horrible, etc. and overall, I just feel that the pictures have been taken in a way to hide defects and blemishes.

It would be an immediate pass for me as well. Below is a photo of my 145.022-71 for comparison. It’s all original and in very good condition and I paid substantially less than the asking price for the watch that you posted. With some patience, I think that you will be able to find a much better example at a lower price.
808F4EF4-C389-4EF1-AEEF-01CE9BCBB0D6.jpeg

There is nothing appealing about this watch IMO.

For me it would be an immediate PASS!!! As others have pointed out: the dial has serious issues in the 1-4 o’clock region (even wonder if there was water ingress in there), the hole in the lug at 10 o’clock looks horrible, etc. and overall, I just feel that the pictures have been taken in a way to hide defects and blemishes.

the hole in the 10 o’c lug is the correct Portuguese import stamp - validated by the EoA

its ugly though, and why the hell they couldnt have stamped this on the underside of the lug, i’ll never know

damage at 2-4 looks like minute hand sweep damage to me

Agreed, with comments so far and having just recently been looking for a 69, I would have dismissed his example for following reasons as I am sure you will find better one at this price

1. General attractiveness of dial and lume, plot damage and colour.
2. Bezel has too much damage for me (but I know others like the more lived in look)
3. Bracelet from the relief clasp looks to be an early 1171 which is in line with the watch (although , but it definitely those 633 endlinks are a modern replacement)
4. Cant really see but the glass does not have short feet logo so potentially a replacement. (not a show stopper though)
5. There feels like a softness to the the brushing on the inner lugs looks to have gone slightly for example, again hard to tell in photos.
6. lume on hands just looks like

Generally it feels like a package put together and although would need better quality photos I would not have bothered further if it were me and would have looked elsewhere at that price.