Forums Latest Members

What do you think of this 1601?

1. chows99 Sep 27, 2017

Dear all,

I chance upon a deal for this 1601 at US$2150. Based on the photo, is this watch in good condition? I can tell some lume plots are missing though.

Will you buy it at this price vs it's conditions?

[​IMG]

2. Canuck Sep 27, 2017

That Rolex appears to have a white gold fluted bezel on it, not the steel engine turned bezel. The bezel is heavily worn. This indicates to me that the watch has lots of miles on it. Not necessarily a bad thing, IF the watch has been recently competently and thoroughly serviced. The Date-Just doesn't appear to be top of mind for Rolex collectors, or wannabe Rolex collectors. Ask for proof that it has been serviced, and serviced by whom. The condition of the Jubilee bracelet has to be a factor in what is a reasonable price. Can't tell from the picture. Does the seller offer a return privilege, and do you have someone you could rely on for a meaningful assessment of the watch if you buy it?

chows99 likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 28, 2017

Odd picture... you can see the "fingerprints" on the hand but the dial has artifacts... I'd want a clear dial shot.

chows99 likes this.
  4. chows99 Sep 28, 2017

Thanks all for the information. I thought if its worth the low price the seller is offering. Seems like there are some nigging issues

5. yikkie2377 Sep 28, 2017

Looks too worn to worth the price IMHO.

6. rcs914 Sep 28, 2017

It might just be artifacting in the picture, but the "superlative chronometer" text looks pretty terrible.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 28, 2017

I agree I think that's compression artifacts from a low quality over compressed jpg. Still need a good shot of the dial.

Edited Sep 28, 2017
  8. sensui Sep 28, 2017

I wouldn't be so quick to judge from that shot....it's nowhere near good enough to make any real conclusions about the piece. Ask for clear pictures of the dial, all 4 lugs at an angle, crown, caseback, and the bracelet and you can make a better assessment. The price does seem ok for the watch though in the current market IMO....nothing special about it though in the vintage datejust lineup I can see.

9. trackpad Oct 13, 2017

Old thread, probably not relevant anymore – but for the record the bezel on this watch is correct. The 1603 features an engine turned bezel, the 1601 is fluted (as on this one), and the 1600 is smooth with no features, like a 1016.

The picture is not of a high enough quality to really evaluate anything. But if the dial and case checkout, even without a service and regardless of the bracelet condition, probably a pretty good price. But would have needed more and (much) better photos to be sure.

10. Torque Time Oct 22, 2017

Chows99 - Based on pic, price is not bad at $2150. Others covered all high points to consider. If bracelet has stretch, jubilee is susceptible due to small links. You could always replace w leather or exotic strap. The silver/steel/white gold combo is one of the most affordable based on cost of materials. If you like it and would be proud to wear, I say go for it