Forums Latest Members

What do you do when you receive your vintage watch?

1. axl911 Apr 27, 2016

So you have bought a vintage watch online. What do you normally do when you receive it? What type of inspection can be done at home, and what should only be done by someone qualified?

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 27, 2016

wind it.

George.A, GregH, chronos and 7 others like this.
  3. ConElPueblo Apr 27, 2016

I usually dance around the house, take a lot of pictures and spend several minutes trying to explain my girlfriend why it's awesome and why I have bought yet another watch which is, apparently, identical to all the others.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 27, 2016

Quick look over. Put it down and and open the other two it usually came with. ::facepalm2::

Giff2577, OMGRLX, George.A and 17 others like this.
  5. sky21 Apr 27, 2016

Try to enjoy the simple pleasure of the unboxing and the first few moments on my wrist before the questions begin about the price and why I need another watch that looks just like the rest of them. Oh well, it's all in good fun.

OMGRLX likes this.
  6. abrod520 Apr 27, 2016

Wind it up, set the time, run the chrono for a few minutes, stop, reset it. Look over the case and crystal. Open the caseback* and take note of any dirt or corrosion in the movement, check the serial number. Basically I am looking for signs of originality, and making notes for what I will tell my watchmaker when I bring it in (unless it has been recently serviced).

*I am experienced at this. Do not attempt this yourself. If you would like to acquire some experience opening cases, do so on an already beat-up watch or one that neither you nor anyone else is likely to care about large unsightly gouges on the caseback. I'm not saying you will do this; I'm saying it's a risk.

OMGRLX, lando, Davidt and 3 others like this.
  7. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 27, 2016

Send it away again to the watchmaker and then "stew in my juices" anticipating its return.

OMGRLX likes this.
  8. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Apr 27, 2016

Get a friction ball (they're $5 on Amazon) and for any screwback case, you'll be able to easily inspect the movement without leaving a single mark on the case. Now, you'll have to know what you're looking at / for when inspecting said movement, but that's always important for me when I'm buying.

If I buy from another collector, however, I usually don't inspect the movement unless they've pointed out an issue or the functions aren't working correctly.

jens0125 and noelekal like this.
  9. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 27, 2016

This is the second time I've seen friction balls mentioned here on the Forum. Do they work pretty well? Are there any concerns for using them on a watch?

10. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Apr 27, 2016

They're pretty much God's gift to Watch Idiots everywhere. They're just rubber balls, so no, there are no concerns. Leave no marks on the caseback and are super cheap.

noelekal and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  11. Jonatan Apr 27, 2016

Liars!!
    You take pictures and post it in What Did You Buy Today? in the hopes of getting some likes and a few comments from the respectable members of this forum. Instant gratification and approval from your peers is mandatory.

Tiny Iota, Lonestar, OMGRLX and 8 others like this.
  12. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 27, 2016

I've used them for some time. Unless the caseback is TIGHT, the ball works fine.

noelekal likes this.
  13. dialstatic Apr 27, 2016

Yes, unless it's a snap-in caseback ::rimshot::

OMGRLX and noelekal like this.
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 27, 2016

And pray that consensus is that it's ok.

Lonestar, OMGRLX and Jonatan like this.
  15. ViaAppia Apr 27, 2016

Get ready to go out to dinner which I had planned for that night just in order to show it off even though friends and family really thought it was to see them ::stirthepot::

OMGRLX likes this.
  16. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Apr 27, 2016

Also, if you DO open it, be careful that any gunk that might have been laying in wait alongside or around the edges don't end up in your movement :eek:. A loop and a toothpick for picking up these little 'buggers' are handy, too.

...be ready for the movement to 'fall out' if there's not anything there to keep it in the case...

OMGRLX and noelekal like this.
  17. Hijak Apr 27, 2016

Give it a good visual inspection, wind it, set time, check out any complications (such as chronograph) see how it does for a day or so...then take it to my watchmaker and let him do his thing.

OMGRLX, oddboy, lando and 1 other person like this.
  18. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Apr 27, 2016

This will happen every time!

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 27, 2016

Sometimes I will leave it on the table for a day or two unopened and the misses will get to the stage after a few " are you going to open this " that she doesn't care what it is as long as the box is off the table. ;)

Giff2577, OMGRLX, noelekal and 3 others like this.
  20. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Apr 27, 2016

i use a friction ball all the time, no issues, sometimes opening a newer watch from omega or rolex i cant get enough force, have not had vintage speed master that it did not work on

noelekal likes this.