What Do We Think Of This Speedmaster 145.022-71?

One of the nicer examples that I have seen. Serial number checks out. Seller represents that the watch is fully original. Unpolished case. Recently serviced and I have seen the records. Two year warranty. The only question that I have is the bracelet - is an 1171/1 original to this watch or perhaps a service replacement? Price is $6,300 USD firm. The Speedmaster 101 price chart gives a value of $5,200 for a very good example and $7,000 for an excellent example. Have at it, OF Speedmaster experts. Thoughts?

No thoughts on this one? I think I'm hearing crickets chirping in the background . . . 😀

Yes, I believe the bracelet should be the original trapezoid 1171. Hard the see if the dial is raised as it should be.

Is this a step dial? (it should be, I just can't see it)

Is this a step dial? (it should be, I just can't see it)
Yes, it is a step dial.

look like replacement hands, and from those pics i don't see any warmth of a vintage '71.

Personally I don’t find the dial attractive, not a fan of green lume at all, but that’s a personal choice only you can make. As has been said the bracelet and end links are later.

As noted, I think the original clasp would have a trapezoid logo. The lighting is very cold, so I'm having a hard time getting a sense of how the dial and hands would look in person.

Thanks, Dan. I’ve seen the watch in person and in better light where it has a much warmer appearance. It is a step dial and the dial/hands are tritium and still glow under UV light. Overall, the watch is in outstanding condition and unpolished. Do you think that the incorrect clasp has any significant effect on the overall value of the watch?

Thanks, Dan. I’ve seen the watch in person and in better light where it has a much warmer appearance. It is a step dial and the dial/hands are tritium and still glow under UV light. Overall, the watch is in outstanding condition and unpolished. Do you think that the incorrect clasp has any significant effect on the overall value of the watch?

Most likely the bracelet has just been replaced later. Sure there is a modest difference in value between a 1970s 1171 and a later one, maybe a couple of hundred USD. Price is on the high side IMO, but including the service/warranty it's not outrageous. And if the watch appeals to you in person, that's an important consideration.

Do you think that the incorrect clasp has any significant effect on the overall value of the watch?
To be clear the entire bracelet is a replacement.

To be clear the entire bracelet is a replacement.
Yes, understood. Different version of the 1171, but I don’t think it makes a significant difference in the overall aesthetic or value of the watch. Obviously if the dial or hands were service replacements, that would be a deal breaker, but they appear to be correct for the reference and in great condition. Case, movement, crown and pushers are all good too.

Hard to tell from those pictures. Price seems a little high for a 71 😕

Hard to tell from those pictures. Price seems a little high for a 71 😕
The Speedmaster 101 price chart states a value of a very good example at $5,200 and an excellent example at $7,000. Those values are for watch head only and don’t include the bracelet.
Edited:

Bracelet is not correct for this reference.

I would be looking to place it between Good and Very Good.

The dial is not possible to assess, but if you like it then its probably Good+. So much of the value will be influenced by the appearance and attraction of the dial, which the photos hide very successfully.

The case shows some minor dings, and the back has some rubbing near the NASA print, and this prevents it placing in the Very Good. However the case sides do look solid and clean, so I would understand someone valuing it higher.

The bezel has a blurry print, and I dont like it. (For the money) - I dont like the bezel.

There is nothing wrong with this watch (At all). its a Good+ example.

Therefore the price chart here calls it Good, $3,600 plus any added value for its proximity to the Very Good category, which places it at $5,200.

Now there are not so many examples on the market for comparison, and remember the numbers I post on the chart are reflective not predictive, and I would not criticise anyone for over paying for a good, or especially attractive example.

I am not sure this watch, should the OP decide to sell it in 6 months, will achieve more than the Very Good price.

Thanks for your comments. I haven’t decided to buy it yet. Will upload some better photos of the dial when I have time.

Well, I had a chance to see the watch in person today. In my humble opinion, the seller’s photos did not do it justice. Please see my photos below taken in natural light. Beautiful step dial, original hands, crystal, bezel, crown, pushers - all in spectacular shape. Tritium lume looks great, no flaking and virtually no degradation. Sharp, unpolished case. The only flaws that I see are a few minor scuffs on the case back and an 1171/1 service bracelet (though even that looks brand new without a scratch and no stretch). Just had a full movement service and there’s a two year warranty. Every other comparable ‘71 that I’ve looked at has significant flaws and many of them are also more expensive. Those that are less expensive are generally pretty beaten up. So tell me what I’m missing, guys? Because otherwise my Omega sense is telling me not to pass this one up.
Edited:

Yes it’s a better example.
Still has greenish lume - which some people like, some do not.
It also has the wrong bracelet.
The dial is stepped and the bezel better than what I thought it was.
Case is also better than I thought.
I think this watch the only regret is going to be the money, and that’s a great place to start.
I’m being serious - if the only worry it’s a bit expensive, then that’s better than many purchase we see here