Forums Latest Members

What did i buy? Was this a good Omega Geneve for $220?

1. illition Aug 11, 2013

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-GENEV...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

This was an impulse buy for $220USD.

I thought the price was ok just to check it out. If its a bad one I can live with it, but i'd like to hear some feedback anyway to see what i've gotten! Is the dial refinished, movement/parts original? I have already received the watch and it is keeping perfect time. +1/2 seconds a day.

2. ulackfocus Aug 11, 2013

Uh, it says so right in the listing:

Original refurbished champagne dial

In most cases, that's eBay-speak for refinished. The slab of metal is the original part though, so most sellers think that qualifies to use the word 'original'.

3. illition Aug 11, 2013

sorry my mistake! it is a decent refinish?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 11, 2013

lol original refurbished

5. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Aug 11, 2013

How can you have an "Original REFURBISHED dial" as the seller states? It is a redial but the movement is a good one which looks pretty clean.

The rest of the watch checks out ok according to the OVD Here.

6. ulackfocus Aug 11, 2013

It's how eBay sellers think. If the piece of metal that the ink is printed on is the original one that was in the watch, it's the original dial as far as they're concerned. Semantics at best, but they aren't technically lying. To a collector it's wrong because the definition of original, whether it be watches, furniture, or anything else, is completely original even the ink.

Imagine buying a Cézanne that was repainted - but it's the original canvas! :p

7. illition Aug 11, 2013

Thanks for the replies so far!

So... the text has been reprinted on, but, is the sparkle dial original (the actual sparkle finish)? Or was it redone? It looks pretty decent to me in person but then again I have never seen an original sparkle dial. (only judged from photos)

Would you say it is an okay buy for my first purchase?

8. ulackfocus Aug 11, 2013

It's a redone dial.

For a first purchase? If you're judging against mine you did fantabulous! Seriously, my first was so embarassing it took me a few years to admit it. I use it as a cautionary tale / lesson now for noobs.

illition and Central Scrutinizer like this.
  9. illition Aug 11, 2013

Sounds great! Thanks alot for the help then :)

10. John R Smith Aug 11, 2013

For $220 USD you did brilliantly. Especially as it runs and keeps good time :thumbsup:

11. illition Aug 11, 2013