Forums Latest Members

What constitutes as a 'fair' condition crystal?

1. Hitman Jan 15, 2019

Just wanted to get everyone's take on this. Does a crack in the crystal fall under 'fair' condition?

Backdrop is that purchased an older watch on ebay. Both seller and myself based in US. Seller said fair condition crystal with micro scratches in his description. Turns out it is a crack in the smack center. Noticed it as soon as received watch. His response is that a) he isn't an expert, just a private collector and could have mixed up a crack with scratches b) that he has pictures up and I should have seen it myself. He is willing to return watch, and only that. Won't reimburse for shipping ($10) but as per Ebay rules I am owed full shipping and price I paid for watch (shipping is included in return if item si not as described).

I am legitimately a little upset because I was only expecting the watch to have micro scratches as mentioned. But a crack means crystal needs replacement. And it will cost more than the watch itself (got the watch for 50 bucks so I mean it isn't even a dent in the wallet honestly). I can let it go too.

Should I push it with Ebay or let it go? A little conflicted. I can afford to eat the loss and get a crystal at own dime. But I feel a bit cheated. And I do want a new crystal. Thoughts?

Edited Jan 16, 2019
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 15, 2019

Force return, it’s easy. Seller needs to learn that dishonesty doesn’t pay. It could of course have got damaged in transit but even if so it still isn’t your problem.

3. TritonDND Jan 15, 2019

Sorry about your experience. I think it depends on how much you really like the other aspects of the watch and how much you want to keep it. I'd probably keep the watch (esp. if it's on the expensive side and worth it otherwise.) because it's more effort and headache to return if it's still a good purchase. If you're really disappointed return it -- I agree with padders above. There are so many great ebay sellers with 100% satisfaction who are honest and sellers should have integrity. You could always msg the seller too and let him know your disappointment and tell him you are going to write a review stating so.

Hitman likes this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 15, 2019

So what part of "He is willing to return watch" are you having a problem with?

5. Hitman Jan 15, 2019

He doesn't want to pay for any shipping. Said he is only offering to return watch price as a "courtesy" and will not refund initial and return shipping cost

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 15, 2019

Do you have a link to the listing?

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. Professor Jan 15, 2019

I wonder if there could be a method for filling in cracks in crystals like they do for windshields?
    A transparent glue is applied to the crack and forced into it under pressure. The repairs are usually invisible.

If you got the watch dirt cheap I'd just go ahead and spring for a replacement crystal, probably come out better that way in the long run.
    I would leave a bad review of the seller though.

I obtained a press and adapters for replacing crystals a long time ago but so far I haven't had to use it.
    Crystals in common sizes and shapes are pretty cheap. Round of course being the cheapest.

What type watch are we speaking of?

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 15, 2019

Why would you leave the seller a bad review when he said the would accept the watch back?

citizenrich likes this.
  9. Professor Jan 16, 2019

Since he refused to pay the shipping charges I would.
    He misrepresented the product, no getting around that. Mistakenly or not any losses should be on him not on the buyer.
    His misrepresentation cost the buyer aggravation as well as money to make it right.

Only way I'd not leave a bad review would be if he returned the price of the watch and I kept the watch free of charge for my trouble.

Twice sellers have sent me the wrong package and on both occasions they sent along the correct package and told me to just keep what they sent earlier at no charge. That was more than fair in my book so I gave them an excellent review . The delay was minimal.
    On another occasion two shirts I ordered had defective stitching and the seller returned my purchase price including shipping charge immediately and told me not to bother returning those items. They also got an excellent review.

The seller has obligations towards the buyer.

Hitman likes this.
  10. Huus Jan 16, 2019

Well...... going by your avatar and username the seller should refund you purchase price and postage and also be very polite to you, sir.

superfly and citizenrich like this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 16, 2019

We still haven’t seen the original eBay listing and seller’s description and photographs.

So, until this happens and we can make a considered judgement on the seller’s interpretation of “fair”, versus the OPs understanding of “fair”, we’re all just pissing in the wind.

:coffee:

12. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jan 16, 2019

I'm with JiminOz, not literally of course, although I wish I was as it's miserable here today. But yeah, either link or host a pic from seller and one of what was received would be very helpful here.

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 16, 2019

Well, you could join us. The next week will be quite nice, but I’d advise you to head home before it gets hot.

Unless that is, you don’t consider mid 40s to be hot then you’re welcome to stay.

D07D7506-A50C-42F2-9143-74EF1EF8FA63.png

citizenrich likes this.
  14. Hitman Jan 16, 2019

Fair point but the case is with Ebay. I do not want to make it public until they decide on the matter. Once it is decided I will absolutely share the link and post pictures. My question was simply if a cracked crystal is considered among watch collectors as "fair condition" crystal? Seller did not disclose and accepted he is not expert just a collector and he could have mistaken a crack for a scratch (see original post). If yes, it can be considered as "fair" condition, then fine, I can understand. If not then I will fight it.

15. Hitman Jan 16, 2019

Because I am losing shipping costs twice (once that I paid for initially and second time when I return it for refund back to seller). It adds up and all because seller did not describe item probably. He is only willing to accept watch back but it isn't my fault I am having to return due to bad item description. He admitted he could have mistaken a crack for a scratch. That crack should have been disclosed.

16. Hitman Jan 16, 2019

Haha...my teenagers were playing this video game and well, I was making the account right then hence my name (avatar thanks to a quick google search).

17. haqq777 Jan 16, 2019

No, a crack in the crystal is definitely not a fair condition crystal. A cracked crystal is a broken crystal and needs to be replaced. The seller is being dishonest if he did not disclose it. And if he genuinely did not see the crack and mistook it for a scratch then it is his mistake and it is all on him/her. It still falls under "item not as described". I'm sure you must have submitted a few pictures that clearly show crack? Ebay rules also clearly indicate that if item is not as described, you get full refund (item and shipping) back to you. Just take it up with Ebay and they will sort it out for you. Best of luck.

Hitman likes this.
  18. Hitman Jan 16, 2019

Thanks.. yes, submitted to ebay a bunch of pics at different angles showing deep crack. Will be patient and let due process work it out.

haqq777 likes this.
  19. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jan 16, 2019

Unless this is some uber rare reference, you can get a crystal for like 10 cents.

X350 XJR likes this.
  20. Oku Jan 16, 2019

That depends on the country and if the seller could prove it has left his hands undamaged.