Forums Latest Members

What causes people to notice your watch?

1. RonJ Jul 14, 2020

I've had a number of circumstances where complete strangers have asked me about the watch I'm wearing.

For yourself, when has this happened for you?

One example, is I was wearing a vintage Speedmaster Professional (145-022-68-ST) at a local Cars & Coffee event.
    A guy walked by and said "Great watch." and pointed at my wrist.

I'm not sure what caught his eye, probably the flat link bracelet and maybe the DON bezel.

I responded with "Yeah, it's my old Speedmaster" and that seemed to satisfy him.

You just never know how knowledgeable the guy you bump in to is about watches.

Duracuir1 and Mad Dog like this.
  2. Dor_42 Jul 15, 2020

Well, I feel like a “Cars & Coffee event” is where one would notice a good watch, if you told me the same thing happened during a birthing class then I’d be surprised!
    So basically what I’m trying to say is that it’s not necessarily the watch but the crowd that is around you that will cause someone to notice.

ChiefMark, Duracuir1, Dgercp and 4 others like this.
  3. RonJ Jul 15, 2020

I agree, Not sure what attracts watch people in general.
    Maybe it is attention to detail.
    Maybe it is appreciation of embedded technology.
    Maybe it is appreciation of craftsmanship.

Whatever the common ground is, I find it is happens with car people.

Duracuir1 and vbrad26 like this.
  4. ExpiredWatchdog Jul 15, 2020

Sticking it in their nose usually works.

Birthing class, now that sets the wayback machine. I remember dropping the plastic doll to the shock of every pregnant mother. Good times.

5. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jul 15, 2020

My daughters sometimes notice, and comment on, the colour of the leather strap - but never the watch. No one else seems to notice them.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  6. mcemeren Jul 15, 2020

It rarely happens. One day, a friend of mine who has seen many watches on my wriest finally reacted to one, the Moonwatch, saying oh, this is nice, what is this? I said, one day traveling to the moon will be cheaper than this watch, then, I will be ready with it :).

Duracuir1 and OmegaP99 like this.
  7. M'Bob Jul 15, 2020

Only when I roll my sleeve up and say, in an obnoxiously loud voice, “I wonder what time it is on my expensive Swiss timepiece?”

ChiefMark, machamp6650, alam and 20 others like this.
  8. Lucasssssss Jul 15, 2020

Only when people comment on what a small watch I am wearing, and how it looks like a ladies watch

Duracuir1, Vitezi, jimdgreat1 and 2 others like this.
  9. Evitzee Jul 15, 2020

40+ years collecting and I can count on one hand how many people have commented on the watch I was wearing. Fine by me as I'm not wearing it for them.

ChiefMark, Duracuir1, Spruce and 11 others like this.
  10. gostang9 Jul 15, 2020

The most important thing is making sure my wife does NOT notice them... :eek: :D :cool:

11. Canuck Jul 15, 2020

One of my most noticeable watches (to my way of thinking) is my Accutron Spaceview. It never gets noticed. If I happen to be with one of my watch collector brethren, the subject of what watch I’m wearing, always comes up. Doesn’t matter which one I’m wearing. I have had people comment when I am wearing TWO watches. Come to think of it, I don’t recall ever commenting on the wrist watch worn by a stranger. And I am a WIS. Might it be considered as rude?

Duracuir1 likes this.
  12. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 15, 2020

The guy at the Omega boutique commented on my spaceview, other than that, it’s crickets

Duracuir1 likes this.
  13. amphib44 Jul 15, 2020

I was at a restaurant in CA when the guy at the next table leaned over and commented on my watch ('69 Speedmaster). He showed me his watch, also a Speedmaster, and we spent the next 30 minutes or so talking about watches. Both of our wives sat there and rolled their eyes the whole time.

ChiefMark, Tony, Duracuir1 and 17 others like this.
  14. SkunkPrince Jul 15, 2020

Twice. A computer store clerk wearing a Bond Seamaster noticed the Speedmaster I was wearing as I was noticing his Seamaster.

Then, a doctor said, “Nice watch,” when I was wearing my 2254.50.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  15. gbesq Jul 15, 2020

Over the years, I have had several men -- and one woman! -- notice and comment that I was wearing a Speedmaster Professional. All of them knew what it was. I have never received a comment on my SMPc even though it's my daily wearer and, IMHO, it has considerably more bling than the Speedy. I also have several vintage Constellations that I wear now and then -- those have elicited some inquisitive looks, but never a comment.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  16. connieseamaster Jul 15, 2020

The only 2 times that someone noticed my watch outside of a watch related space (watchmaker's shop, watch meetup, etc) was when I was at a pen show and the guy next to me at the sample table mentioned that his wife had the same watch I was wearing (bullseye Geneve Dynamic) and the intake volunteer at a Red Cross blood drive I went to recently was a watch guy.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  17. JwRosenthal Jul 15, 2020

It rarely happens, sometimes at work but I work in a place where things like shoes, watches, bespoke tailoring and ties are considered symbols of status...but those in the know are aware that those are the climbers and not the ones with the real influence.
    I was invited to a photo opening in San Francisco back in the early 00’s while I was there on business. When I rolled up the street outside the showing was filled with vintage German and British cars. The guests were mainly other photographers and of course all of us spent the evening talking cars, cameras, stereo and watches (lots of extended arms at that event).
    It really is about the audience and I have found that the real watch enthusiasts (not social climbers) nurture the relationship of man & machine in all aspects of life.

18. Dan S Jul 15, 2020

No stranger has ever commented on a watch I am wearing.

19. Dor_42 Jul 15, 2020

I'm sure his are getting noticed quite often

[​IMG]

20. queriver Jul 15, 2020

You guys must be wearing the wrong watches if they don't get noticed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ChiefMark, alam, Duracuir1 and 3 others like this.