Forums Latest Members
  1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 23, 2016

I know I am going to get ribbed for this, but I am curious as to how some stainless watches get so worn.

My Rolex 1680 Red came from the nephew of the original owner who was a diver. When I bought I had no clue about dials, inserts, case bevels, etc...I bought it because I liked it. Come to find out it is pretty much all original, but it was definitely a well loved piece with a lot of case wear...but still has fat lugs and some original bevels left which makes me think it was not heavily polished.

When I compare it to my 5513 of the same vintage, it becomes clear the amount of case wear compared to a more moderately worn watch.

My question is how does a watch, that you know based on the history, service marks, original parts, original case lines, etc. get so worn? My guess is a wearing a tool watch everyday for decade or longer will do it, but are their other factors that I am not thinking of?

I am curious as to members who have heavily worn, yet original watches, and guesses at to how they got in their current state.

I will work on some side by side images.

Appreciate the insight.

2. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Dec 23, 2016

I think you may have already answered your question.
    Anything used daily for an extended period of time will wear. And as you compare vintage pieces oen may truly have been a daily wearer for its owner while the other may have been babied. Ex. A church watch only worn on Sunday's, or a dive watch only actually worn while diving, or a dress watch only used for formal occasions etc.

watchknut likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2016

Extreme use.

chronos, Dutchie, ralpher and 7 others like this.
  4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 23, 2016

[​IMG]

efauser, ralpher, ConElPueblo and 6 others like this.
  5. omegastar Dec 23, 2016

The major factors are the acidity of the sweat and extensive use as mentioned above.
    Some people have an acid sweat that can destroy anything.
    I have seen people leaving a corroded fingerprint on a copper plate by just touching it once. Some people change their quality leather straps twice a year because it's been eaten by their sweat.

kkt, Faz and watchknut like this.
  6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 23, 2016

Doing dumb watch things like:

Working on the car
    Repairing the washer.
    Yard work
    Bicycling and foot races.
    Skydiving
    Training attack dogs
    Surf fishing
    Using power tools
    Bar fights

There are many others, such as pillow fights with the wife.

7. omegastar Dec 23, 2016

Gynecology ?

KstateSkier and Mark020 like this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 23, 2016

if it's a Rolex that's lived a proper life it shows.

KstateSkier and watchknut like this.
  9. FREDMAYCOIN Dec 23, 2016

The environmental elements will cause case wear. occasional light cleaning with mild water and soap will help.

10. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Dec 23, 2016

Extreme wear is very much like a protective coating.
    IMG_0520.JPG This watch is now impervious to additional wear.

Foursevens, micampe, gemini4 and 6 others like this.
  11. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2016

They're aliens.

NE1C0yrmLgMm45_2_b.jpg

2 of my favorite things! The last time somebody got cocky with me in a bar, my wife said "Before you go teach him some manners give me your watch and wallet." The watch so it didn't get damaged; the wallet so she could get bail money. :p

ralpher, kkt, Mark020 and 4 others like this.
  12. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 23, 2016

Worse if your wife has super sweat...

omegastar likes this.
  13. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 23, 2016

That is exactly what I am talking about. Crazy how true wear differs from polishing.

14. jimmyd13 Dec 23, 2016

You'd be amazed what high acid environments can do to stainless steel. Years ago, I had a customer who would have stainless steel loadcells replaced annually (imagine a block of stainless 300x30x50mm) and this was just from nitrate fertilisers and ambient moisture.Salt water shouldn't have any effect, but you've no idea what else was in the salt water he was diving in.

watchknut likes this.
  15. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 23, 2016

That's why Rolex invented the 904L steel...:thumbsup:

::stirthepot::

16. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 23, 2016

Mild water... Like in H1.99O...?

:D

Jwit likes this.
  17. Snorkelflip Dec 23, 2016

Being the lucky recipient of a single owner 105.012 this thread interests me greatly.
    The case back on my watch is rather,,, worn, as is the bezel and lugs. It has been said that that it has taken its current state through "polishing".
    Knowing my father in law, I would doubt this was the case.
    My watch (In my opinion) shows the wear consistent with an engineering background. My father in law was a metallurgist by trade. He worked for various companies, and prided himself on being hands on. As such. The DON Is worn more at the 12 oclock, in fact, you could say it is "chewed" from being bashed about. The 11o'clock lug is rubbed smooth, where as the others remain reasonably sharp. I like to think this is due to the amount of times he put his hand into his pocket to pull out a few drachmas/rupees/dollars/yen etc to buy a few pints!!
    The damage seen at 12 on the bezel, is again, In my opinion, consistent with someone who spent a lot of time rummaging around in engines etc.
    Put your bare wrist in your engine bay and wiggle it about, I'd say you're more likely to knock the 12 o clock side of your wrist than the 6 o'clock side. I can also say that my watch was bought in the 60's, my wife still remembers her dad wearing it in the late 80's as she distinctly remembers the dials and the fact he had to wind it and as he got older, he moved across to an automatic (crosses chest).
    That's at least 20 years of wear that I can (second hand) account for.
    All the above given, would that account for the wear on the case back?

18. GregH Dec 23, 2016

No commentary by me on your original post, but your old timey photo totally cracks me up. When the time is right, my brother and I swap this old TV ad:

IMG_3243.JPG

ralpher, ahartfie and watchknut like this.
  19. Snorkelflip Dec 23, 2016

There's a Steve Coogan sketch just awaiting this thread.....

20. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Dec 23, 2016

Id prefer heavy wear than a crappy watchmaker putting it through the wheel of death