What Are Your Objectives for 2024 (Watches)

I feel ready to declare/ not looking to buy anything. I have one in the Spa and three with some minor bracelet mods to sort…. And then my last scatter gun run (taken six years) is over, I am happy with the current state of affairs / time to stick and not twist anymore.. Well maybe a couple to sell… although a ploprof would be nice….

Ok, let’s be optimistic for 2024.

I don’t really have that many explicit watch objectives. I’ll always be happy to find more exciting 50s beefy lug SMs and Constellations. But most of all, the goals will be:

1. To increase overall quality. By finishing some projects - even small stuff, a beautiful piece that simply needs the right second hand, for example. But also by letting some pieces go that I’d want to be in better nick to be completely in love with them.

2. Something concrete: I’ll concede to the weather here. I’ve avoided getting a modern watch that’s actually waterproof but I think I just need that one piece that can do that. So, accordingly, I will probably let this one go:
IMG_5896.jpeg
…to replace it with the modern remake and stop worrying about the freaking rain. It’ll be painful. The character is just on another level.

3. Make it personal. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting a few OF users in person this year and it’s been an absolutely pleasure every single time. It’s just a different feeling when you have a face to an avatar, a tone of the voice to the written word.

Reducing to a 3-watch collection!!!! 🤨😁😁😁

and add a Spectre Seamaster 300… and/or a white dial speedy pro 🍿
Edited:

I want to try to refine my collection more, sell off the ones that I don't wear and try to find out why I didn't like them, and acquire new pieces in excellent condition that not only are nice pieces but also suit me personally

Never too late, still 5 hours to go before 2024 here! 😗

1 — Spending more time with my family… and less time looking for watches.

2 — Relating to the point above, using the WTB from the forum to find watches I am seeking. I am sure there are better examples on this forum than I can ever dream of finding.

Happy new year to everyone. And thanks for this great forum. 👍

Last year I went overboard in terms of buying watches ( bought a couple of modern and 'vintage' Omega).
At the moment my plan is to buy a modern rolex datejust 36.

For watches, I'm really looking to get two watches:

1. Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Duoface - most likely the 270.8.54 since it's an older version and cheaper. It has the square small seconds dial which is very similar to the newer version but at half the price.
2. Constellation stainless steel either 167.005 or 168.005. I've been hunting for a stainless steel version for a while and 2024 is the year I pull the trigger if one in good condition shows up.

When I go visiting my sister to the US this year, I'd like to add a Railway pocket watch to my collection. Those movements are sick 😀

I've been wanting one for a few years, and I believe I'll need the assistance of some of our resident experts 😉

In 2023 I applied a little creative restraint to my collecting goals, and so I set out to build a "Seamasters Only" collection. I had a few other watches come in over the dog days of summer, but ive since sold and am back to just Seamasters to end 2023.

2024 plan is a research year. I have a list of references I want, but my current collection and wish list skews too modern/neo vintage. I'd like to scope out a few references from the 70s/80s, and a gold reference from either the 50s/60s. So much to choose from.

Oh I forgot... I might finally add a "not-so-loved by collectors" Manhattan to the collection.

I have been thinking about it for a couple of years too, but without really re/searching for one.

Having found my Deauville snoozed my "need"

small wishes:

1. get my 60ies-Connie serviced
2. looking for a vintage hand-wound steel-cased "semi-dress-watch" in 38 ... 39 mm.

The others (3. to .... ) will find they way by chance. 😁

What a great thread, my objectives for 2024 are to ramp up a little. I’m hoping to:
- find a 18ct solid gold, but understated, Connie that speaks to me as a lifetime keeper. I have always worn silver up to now so gold watches are new for me
- find a Bond watch, mainly for the kicks
- finish off my two rescue projects and send them off back into the world
- find a nice slimline dress watch - probably a 157.0001 or similar cal 712 reference (167.021 maybe)
- a crosshair cosmic would be lovely as well.

1) My first objective, equals this
Spending more time with my family… and less time looking for watches

2) After the heavy lifting last year, my watch budget has evaporated. I need to let go of pieces that I no longer wear or are redundant to replenish it before diving into the market again (unless a grail comes up of course)

3) Trying to be more selective and focused this year when it comes to new purchases. Concrete objectives for 2024 are
- A hobnail Seamaster or Constellation (will probably take me longer than 2024 lol)
- Constellation ref 2648 and 2652 in steel and in very good condition, preferably with a textured dial
- A 30T2RG in steel
- Early Seamaster with 321
- 35mm manual wind Longines from the 30s/40s.

Seemingly I spend way too much time thinking about this sort of thing as I work alone for the most part but the general view going forward is buy less and also sell less .
I have more watches than I wear regularly so I don’t want to add to that side of things but buy what I am likely to wear occasionally at least.
To that end the only watch I intend to buy at some point this year is a Panerai 510
It has all the attributes I am looking for in my next Panerai including 8 day manual wind- so I can leave it one week to the next without resetting the time - current ones are all have 3 day power reserve.

As maybes , ie right condition, time, price:-
A Seamaster 165.024,
Heuer Calculator
Heuer autavia- always like them.

Lasty, it falls under the maybe conditions above but not fixe to this year- an IWC Galapagos .
The reason for this is my son is heavily into tortoises and so the tie up is good . It’s a watch I can see him wearing one day and it’s not the type of watch that’s likely to draw attention.

And stop buying watch straps! I have way more than I wear so just a blanket stop on those ( unless NATO’s for work )