Forums Latest Members

What am I missing? Confused by classic Seamasters for sale

1. Elitr6 Apr 18, 2018

Hi all,

I'm stuck at home this week (tibial nail has just been removed, wahey!) and am obsessing over finding a Seamaster similar to the one below owned by Norman who has been kind enough to let me use this photo.

IMG_4298.JPG

I've read through the sticky's and spent a lot of time combing through the forum, ebay, chrono24 and the like.

I know the number of watches with original black dials is low but what I can't fathom is why redialed items are going for so much money?

The aesthetics of this watch are tugging at my heart strings but I figure it's probably not even worth half the asking price: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232735894014Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Is it just a case of a fool and his money or is this watch more special than the rest?

Thanks

Eli

2. michael22 Apr 18, 2018

Check the SWISS MADE.
    Manufacturers centre the phrase, which places the second S under, or closer, to the centreline.
    Redialers tend to centre the space between the two words.

The ebay item has a centred space.

felsby likes this.
  3. Elitr6 Apr 18, 2018

Thanks Michael, the seller is clear that this is a redialled watch.

I'm trying to figure out if this watch is worth the asking price and if so, why?

Cheers

Eli

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 18, 2018

The listing states that the dial has been "fully restored". It's an overpriced, redialed watch. End of thread.

Kmart, Jonatan, gemini4 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Lucasssssss Apr 18, 2018

The watch is not worth the asking price. However, on eBay there are people who do by these watches, either because they don't know it is redialed, or because they don't care. Many of the buyers seem to end up here and we often tell them to return the watches (to a varying degree of success).

I would suggest the predominant market for these watches are people who hear vintage watches are cool through a newspaper article, go onto eBay and with little research buy the shiniest thing they can find. Watches such as this seem to spring to mind

6. Gordon Heavyfoot Apr 18, 2018

Hardened collectors often forget that there's a whole segment of watch buyers who not only don't care about originality but seek out that which is shiny/new/colorful/looks like it was designed by Pee Wee Herman. And that's OK because ultimately it comes down to "are you going to be happy with the watch"? A watch is worth whatever someone will pay for it. I wouldn't touch 99% of the watches on Ebay but obviously someone would and as long as the seller remains aboveboard about what he/she is offering I say why not. It makes it more difficult ultimately for the novice collector who does value originality to navigate the dangerous waters of the 'Bay but for me that process was/is a large part of the fun of collecting.

Kmart, paulwatch001, airansun and 3 others like this.
  7. Elitr6 Apr 18, 2018

Thanks all, food for thought. I've owned a number of classic Triumphs and Land Rovers. I'm not keen on concours cars but a car with history and patina with solid mechanicals is always going to tempt me.

I guess a lot on the people on this forum feel the same way about watches.

The one in the photo at the top of this post is absolute design perfection. I would be willing to overlook a redial for a similar item so I'm certainly not a purist (yet!).

Patience isn't one of my virtues so I'll try to find an original(ish) seamaster until my dream watch turns up for sale somewhere.

This one looks decent but the movement doesn't look pristine: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142730824361Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks again

8. michael22 Apr 18, 2018

Even if you like the watch & dial, it is overpriced, grossly. IMO.

9. Elitr6 Apr 18, 2018

I agree. I'm pretty cheesed off that the seller didn't accept my (very) lowball offer. How dare they!

10. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Apr 18, 2018

I guess they dare because, as @Gordon Heavyfoot correctly stated, many people prefer a shiny and spotless watch and don't care if it is a redial or not. If you like the design, I wouldn't talk you out of buying. But I would not even pay half the asking price myself. And I don't think anyone will either, so maybe seller will get back to you in a couple of weeks, who knows.

11. ulackfocus Apr 18, 2018

"Ooooo, shiny!" and "Don Draper Syndrome" sucks in another n00b. At least the OP was smart enough to ask before buying. :thumbsup:

12. Elitr6 Apr 19, 2018

A vintage Seamaster isn't an insignificant purchase but still small money compared to most watches for sale on this forum and elsewhere.

There's clearly a market for (over?)restored watches or there wouldn't be so many of them for sale. There are real enthusiasts like most of the poeple on the forum who value authenticity and newcomers like myself who are just getting started and are drawn in by nicely presented classic watches in close to new but unoriginal condition.

I have spent so many hours these past few days combing though forums, ebay and other auction sites. Why did no one warn me that it is so addicitve?

GordonL and felsby like this.
  13. Elitr6 Apr 19, 2018

Here are some pics of my great-grandfathers watch, which I wear everyday (unless it's got a broken balance shaft)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 19, 2018

You will find the black dial you want.

Looking outside Omega helps

Lemania single crown super compressor
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 19, 2018

Misery loves company.

GordonL, ahsposo, ulackfocus and 2 others like this.
  16. Elitr6 Apr 21, 2018

If I hadn't done a bit of research on this forum, I would have probably bought one of the following (the 2nd one was definitely making eyes at me). That would be a lot of money for a watch that I'm guessing could be difficult to sell on when the time comes. Thanks for the heads-up everyone!

I think I'll look for a 2nd hand Speedy Reduced and amuse myself hunting for an original and affordable vintage Seamaster (and not necessarily with a black dial)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Vintage-Gents-Large-Omega-Seamaster-30-Watch-Box-1961-Stunning/372274699045?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WONDERFUL-OMEGA-SEAMASTER-CALIBRE-600-MENS-VINTAGE-WATCH-C1966/232735894014?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

17. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 21, 2018

Need to do some research on that Speedy Reduced too, an un-serviced bargain can turn into less than a bargain.

18. Elitr6 Apr 21, 2018

I'm sure. I've found this one. Seller is a frequent (and helpful) poster on another forum and obviously treats his watches with care. He's got 2 other Speedy Reduced models.

Don't think he's owned this one for long, he's the 3rd owner. Hasn't been serviced by him or the previous owner but hopefully worn with care. Says it's off by about 15sec a day.

Should the lugs be sharper? Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. GordonL Apr 21, 2018

Beware of buying a speedy reduced. You may find that you'd wished you'd bought a full size version! I thought about it long and hard and decided that if I was going to buy a speedmaster I'd buy a "moonwatch" (albeit financial constraints meant that it wasn't a vintage model...)

airansun likes this.
  20. Elitr6 Apr 21, 2018

I was looking at seamasters with a 400eur top budget less than a week ago. I think a Speedy Reduced is enough madness for now