Forums Latest Members

Went into pick up a Speedy 57 co-axial, and came out with a...

1. scapa Sep 27, 2019

... Seamaster Trilogy!

I'd been looking for a wearable Speedy for a while, wanting to add a chrono to my stable of divers and vintage pieces. Lusted after the Pro and FOIS, but I have some physical challenges that make hand-winding anything but a very large crown difficult on most days and impossible on the rest of them, along with the requirement for easy-to-use chrono pushers and a high-legibility dial.

So -- enter the 57 Co-axial. My AD had a demo on sale, the .001, and I tried and ordered it a few days ago. It was well-priced and in good shape with some scratches and dings on the polished links -- they offered to buff those out -- but with just under 7-inch wrists I decided I needed to spend longer with it before signing on the dotted line.

An hour later, I realized that despite my admiration for the clean design, build quality and gorgeous 9300 movement, this watch was too long, too tall and too heavy for me to carry off. Loved the chrono action but found the dial hard to read at various angles, and had some concerns about the height of the case and double-bubble and the overhang of those straight lugs. Still admired it, but just didn't fell I would ever bond with it.

Then -- looked over a few others, including the AT 41 and a Speedy Pro at full price, all very nice, but none of them quite calling to me -- until this piece caught my eye from the depths of the watch vault -- brand new, full set, and on sale. I've always loved tropical dials, and the combination of the Trilogy's design, movement (METAS and especially antimagnetic are nice adds for someone in my field), legibility, case shape, fit, weight and overall balance felt instantly right. I was charmed.

I know that some are put off by the vintage touches of this piece, and the bracelet/clasp combo, but I generally wear my divers on NATO, leather or rubber anyway, and the overall package carried the day, handsomely. it feels like an old friend already,

And the rest, they say, is history. Until the Speedy hunt begins anew....

(Excuse the crappy pix -- I'm effectively one-handed)

IMG_7730.jpg IMG_7731.jpg IMG_7732.jpg

Edited Sep 27, 2019
    Sidnos, flw, Archer and 6 others like this.
  2. Stevedssd Sep 27, 2019

Congratulations the Seamaster Trilogy is a lovely watch, so much attention to detail and a lovely bracelet..........not to mention a super accurate METAS movement. A great choice :)