Forums Latest Members

Weird Place in the Collection Timeline

1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 1, 2015

In late October last year, I found myself in the position to obtain my grail watch (six years after becoming the grail). I wear it frequently. Looking for a picture but I must have erased them all but this one shown on my favorite piece of luggage. The watch is a Patek Philippe Nautilus chronograph reference 5980 (the luggage is a Holland Sport all-leather valet bag made in San Francisco California USA, from a time before they were Mulholland Brothers and began manufacturing much of their line in China):
    [​IMG]
    Until that point, every watch I acquired was destined for sale or trade toward the grail. The watch fund budget was tight, and there was little hope of keeping anything of value and simply adding the grail later.
    Now that the grail is on the wrist, I have no new grail. There are dozens of more expensive, grail-worthy watches, but none have become "the new focus." I am completely content with the 5980 as my greatest.
    Not one to stand still with the collection, I found myself basically starting over. I had no watches I was willing to sell or trade, for the first time in 30 years of collecting. What a weird feeling!
    I began buying Hamilton chronographs from grey market dealers, and even included a time-only quartz for my wife, and a 3-hander that she also likes to wear. I added some vintage Wittnauer and Longines examples, then sold all but one Longines.
    Now I try to imagine what watch I want next, and (again for the first time since I started collecting watches) no watch comes to mind. I like my Hamilton family of four chronos, so I'm not inclined to sell them for a greater watch. Without watches to sell or trade, I have little cash to spend on the next (because I just spent the funds on that fourth Hamilton chrono).
    Only watches that I have previously owned are even remotely blipping my radar: a Speedmaster moon watch, a Rolex Explorer II black dial 16570 (old 40mm one, with lug holes), an IWC Porsche Design Titan chrono, Daytona black dial 116520...
    Two and a half weeks ago I ordered another Hamilton (non-chrono dress watch "Intra-Matic") but Jomashop has it on back order. I'm about to cancel the order so I can pay for a service on my Cartier (40th birthday present from my wife, both keepers!).
    I feel like the only watch nerd who has ever felt this way. Odds-makers are giggling and guessing when I'll jump back in head-first, but I honestly don't see that happening. It hasn't happened in the eight months I've owned my grail.
    Anyone else out there go through a similar feeling? That you had accomplished your goal and there was no new goal to replace it? And you were happy about it?

x3no, styggpyggeno1 and Jones in LA like this.
  2. wsfarrell Jul 1, 2015

Nice looking bag.......

3. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 1, 2015

I wish, I hardly have the new arrivals unpacked and I am thinking about the next.:confused: It would make my bank account very happy if that were to happen:)

x3no and styggpyggeno1 like this.
  4. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jul 1, 2015

I think that is why it is called a grail - sangreal. It is not supposed to be found. I can relate to your feeling but not in the watch hobby. I found my grail within another hobby and suffer from grail emptiness there since. As you are - I am going thru the motions but...

And that coming from a guy who wrote this some years ago (here on OF):

"Do not surrender to - what I have named - "grail emptiness". The feeling of meaninglessness and anxiety that can hit you when you have reached one of your goals. The emptiness and sometimes disorientation has its explanation.

Take comfort in the knowledge that collecting is not solely about the possession of things. It is as much, or more and for some, maybe to the full extent - about the quest. The research, the hunt, the journey, meetings, contacts - and the dreaming.

You are not alone in your grail emptiness. I would say we all suffer from it in different ways and forms. I tackle it by finding a new grail to covet and long for. Sometimes I alternate between hobbies to find new inspiration.

I found this some time ago and I think it is well put:
    “The main thing is that I discovered that half the fun of owning a watch is, like the fulfillment of all desires, about the pursuit –shopping around is fun and ownership is the beginning of something, but also the end.” Jack Forster, Contributor, Forbes Magazine" "

End of quote.

Maybe the alternating between hobbys would do the trick for you? It, sort of, works for me.

Time Exposure and Darlinboy like this.
  5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 1, 2015

You've only had the 5980 since last October?

That's not even a year, so I guess I'm in the giggling odds-maker category.

Too early to worry - you're probably just in remission. :thumbsup:

Time Exposure likes this.
  6. timjohn Jul 1, 2015

Sounds like you've moved on from the watch grail to reach watch nirvana. The emptiness of fulfilment...

Modest_Proposal likes this.
  7. SeanO Jul 1, 2015

When I managed to get my hands on a couple of Gallet's I basically stopped buying for about 18 months.

It was like "what's next?". Still unsure after another 12 months. Looking forward to seeing what the future brings though.

I guess that makes me a dabbler rather than a collector.

8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 1, 2015

Interesting observations. I expected to have a grail replacement, but do not. The emptiness I did not recognize, since that to me implies a kind of sadness or depression. I am feeling content and somewhat disinterested in the hobby, and I do see myself "going through the motions."
    My post-grail "plan" was to rebuild toward a second grail. But the second grail in that plan does not exceed or equal the grail I have already achieved. This makes it difficult to consider achieving the second goal.
    I think because I have never reached the goal in 30 years of collecting, I am confused if not satiated. And I am curious about my future in the hobby, but not anxious. I am guessing it's just a matter of time (no pun intended).