Forums Latest Members

Weems Longines just a bit different

1. m neuman What, me worry? May 22, 2021

nice

2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 22, 2021

That’s the nice part about vintage watches, it is the research about their history, as they say what counts is the journey and not the destination.
    Be careful not to push your luck with that dial.
    Also note the Longines placement above the sub-dial was the standard positioning of the Longines signature on British market civilian watches of that era (starting in the 1920s) because it allowed space on top for a retailer to add their name.
    What is extremely rare though is simply to find a pre-war British civilian Weems, and as stated before this specific bezel lock set up is rare as hen’s teeth.

Warthog, JohnLy and oinkitt like this.
  3. powerclocks May 22, 2021

Thank you very much for the information, that information about the placing of the words Longines on the dial was something I had not thought too much about, makes total sense. Funny you should mention the dial, I bought a restored donor dial to fit to the watch so I can use it but keep the original in the box for the next owner, it was the best I could do, it prevents any further deterioration and it stops any acidic build up inside the watch caused by the deteriorating dial damaging the workings. Perhaps later, someone better able to afford a proper conservation to be carried out will own it, I just want to use it on occasions for the fun of it.
    GJP

Syrte likes this.
  4. powerclocks Sep 8, 2021

I received my Certificate of Authenticity and it has a Caliber No of 12.68Zs, I queried this and was told the s meant Special but did not elaborate. I was very much on edge with the amount of time the watch was within the mail system.
    Graeme

Warthog likes this.
  5. powerclocks Feb 22, 2022

All done now, I replaced the dial and put the original dial into a sealed container for conservation, I had a donor dial similar to the original put on so I can use the watch and see the hands when in general use, it is not a great dial but I can live with that, I had it sympathetically cleaned and serviced for general use, I can enjoy it now without wondering what people are looking at my ugly watch, it is like having a crooked nose, you're sensitive about it all the time so it is sealed up and awaits a new owner who may have more money to get it copied properly or perhaps replace it on the watch and enjoy the unique ugliness,

The uniqueness of this watch is mostly in the positioning of the outer bezel lock screw, I have been told there are others and I will guarantee that there are perhaps a a couple of hundred out there but so far I have not seen another one.

I can enjoy using it now, whilst there will of course be detractors out there for what I have done really? for the price of a Tyre for your car you can have the original untouched dial put back on if that floats your boat, it is there and sealed up for posterity or copying.

So I hope you all enjoy the end result, it took roughly 18 months, it has been to St Imer for certification and the obtaining of a Certificate of Authenticity, Twice to Melbourne for inspections, to Sydney to a second generation watchmaker that does exemplary work and now it is finally home on my wrist, The original dial is very detailed and has Longines in the 6 Position but the replacement dial has it in the 12 position, I guess you can't have everything. I am now working on a Wire Lug Silver Rolex.
    Graeme
    IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG
    cchen, Radiumpassion, Syrte and 5 others like this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 22, 2022

Great outcome and I'm glad to see you actually using the watch.
    David Boettcher strap?

I suspect you're in Australia, so if you PM me your details I'll send you a proper dial storage container. Keeping a vintage dial in close contact with plastic wrap is risky.

Cheers

Jim

Vitezi, Radiumpassion and JwRosenthal like this.
  7. JwRosenthal Feb 22, 2022

Nice indeed -and yes, who made the strap?

8. LesXL Feb 22, 2022

Stunning results, congrats!

powerclocks likes this.
  9. Timetron Feb 22, 2022

@powerclocks
    Interesting and refreshing read. Thank you!

[​IMG]

Edited Feb 22, 2022
    powerclocks likes this.
  10. powerclocks Feb 22, 2022

I bought it on eBay, you can't get them in that colour now. They're called a bund strap and even when I could get them I have a large wrist and had to make a buckle extension so I could use it, this is very similar, Item 181634287894 from the same seller, perhaps if enough people request it he will have them made again they are $18.70usd, cheap, you betcha, that's me. I have toyed with making one myself

JwRosenthal likes this.
  11. powerclocks Feb 22, 2022

IMG_1133.JPG IMG_1133.JPG IMG_1133.JPG
    Thank you, I thought I would never get to wear it. I buy on impulse, I am not rusted on to any particular brand but would like to own a nice gold and stainless Bubbleback Rolex at least once in this life, the champagne dial model I find particularly elegant and unobtrusive, much like this watch, not in your face styling that is becoming so prevalent these days. I sent a pm, did you get it, my computer or perhaps internet is playing up with intense rain at the moment so if you received the pm could you let me know here please?
    Graeme Power
    I have now completed the watch to my own satisfaction, I removed the original dial and have placed that in a storage container, A donor dial was obtained from the UK and whilst it is not a thing of beauty and appears to have been very badly printed it will do me for a daily wear, the original can at any time be replaced if anyone wants it reverted to as found condition.

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 22, 2022

Actually got two, no probs though.

:thumbsup:

13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 22, 2022

Thanks for the update, I like the new look and I think you did what was right, turning it into something you’ll enjoy wearing while preserving its original dial for posterity.

14. powerclocks Mar 1, 2022

It is an eBay buy, this is not available now but similar is Item No. 181634287894, sold by seller wsic-hk.
    They are under $20.00usd.
    p.s. he made the one I have so send him a picture and he can perhaps get some more made or tell you which straps he has that look the most like mine.

Edited Mar 2, 2022
  15. powerclocks Mar 1, 2022

Just a quick catch up note, not here yet but I will let you know when it does.
    Graeme

16. powerclocks Mar 2, 2022

OK, got it, I sent pm with further details.

17. powerclocks Mar 3, 2022

Weems Serial No. 5415488 Caliber 12.68z Ref 3930 8.JPG Weems Serial No. 5415488 Caliber 12.68z Ref 3930 14.JPG

JimInOz likes this.