Forums Latest Members

Wedding gift :Best place to buy a Seamaster 300M chronograph (44mm

1. amiriqbal Nov 20, 2018

So, my daughter in law is getting married soon and her fiancé has always wanted a seamaster 300M chrono in black (44mm), reference: 212.30.44.50.01.001

She intends to get him one as a surprise with a nice engraving, for their wedding day.

Anyways, being into watches I've been roped into helping source a good deal for her! It must be new and she's not bothered if its a grey market model Also we are UK based.

I've had a look at Swiss watches direct online which has them retailing for £3,390.

I wondered if we just went into an AD, or the local boutique, and made it known we intended to buy if price was right, if we could get reasonably close to this and save the hassle and uncertainty of online shopping.

Advice from my esteemed forum members would be greatly appreciated. It will make me look good also which I will be eternally grateful for!!

superfly likes this.
  2. superfly Nov 20, 2018

Well, I thought if she was your daughter-in-law that would mean she's already married (to your own son, no less) but what do I know? :whistling:

Anyway, I'd skip gray market for a wedding gift if you can find it in stock at an AD or OB. The full provenance of a watch as a wedding gift is important in my opinion. As is the warranty. (You could probably find a killer deal at a pawn shop for such a commodity, but come on!) That's just the way I am.

You'll probably get a discount at an authorized dealer. An Omega Boutique will likely not offer a discount. Either way, you'll most likely pay less than anyone who has ever purchased the same watch at an AD or OB in the United States, so there's that if helps you feel better about the price. Of course, if you can't find that in stock locally at an AD or OB, you'll have to go online. And if you go online, I would imagine you can do even better than the price you listed. Omegas seem to be far less expensive in the UK compared to the US, and I can buy that watch online new in the US for under USD$4K (or about £3,100).

The engraving sounds like a great idea. That's going to be a very cool wedding gift no matter where the watch comes from! :thumbsup:

amiriqbal likes this.
  3. larryganz The cable guy Nov 20, 2018

See if Serge at www.chitownwatch.com can source one for you, or maybe David at www.davidsw.com and you'll get a nice discount if they can source one, with full warranty box and papers

connieseamaster and amiriqbal like this.
  4. Meme-Dweller Nov 20, 2018

I handled one at the OB a while back and that case is THICC.. pretty much the same as a Rolex Deepsea. Hope the fiancé is ready for something like that.

amiriqbal likes this.
  5. amiriqbal Nov 21, 2018

Haha, yes you are right, I have misnamed our relationship. She is my stepdaughter (my wife's daughter from a previous marriage)....I think that's right?!

I think you are totally bang on about the provenance issue as this will help be a wedding gift. We have loads of ADs near us so will try a walk around to source a good deal.

I had a bit of a corny idea: We would buy the watch and ask the AD to engrave and keep for us in the shop. We would then innocently bring the fiancé to the shop to 'have a look about and try some on' (he has popped in several times whenever in town, so this wouldn't seem too suspicious)

Of course let the AD know we were coming in and to play along. When he has tried the watch on, ask him to have a look at the back..... Then see how long it takes for him to twig it's now his watch !!

Edited Nov 21, 2018
    mikekchc likes this.
  6. amiriqbal Nov 21, 2018

I would agree, however this is the chap's dream watch and he's tried it on several times. He likes watches but owns only fashion watches up to now, so this will be a big step up for him :)

7. amiriqbal Nov 29, 2018

A final update. We managed to secure a decent enough deal at a local AD. About 12% off RRP and engraved the box for us too!

Thanks for everyone's help!!

rob09 and connieseamaster like this.
  8. rob09 Nov 29, 2018

Have you given it to him yet? Would love to know the reaction.

9. amiriqbal Dec 1, 2018

The plan is to handover this weekend!

My stepdaughter decided to book a weekend to loch lomond and will present to him there. Thought my idea was to dramatic!!

Also decided to get the watch box engraved instead of the watch itself. Looking forward to hear how chuffed he will be! Always nice to unexpectedly get your dream watch!!!

IMG-20181201-WA0003.jpg IMG-20181201-WA0004.jpg IMG-20181201-WA0005.jpg IMG-20181201-WA0006.jpg
  10. rob09 Dec 2, 2018

That's awesome, keep us updated!

11. Kraut783 Dec 2, 2018

Well done, very classy. If he doesn't like this....she needs to dump him =)

12. kelev_ra Dec 2, 2018

Beautiful gift!!
    :)

13. jets Dec 3, 2018

Really good call engraving the box! Love the watch.

14. mikekchc Dec 3, 2018

This is so good! - I don't think its dramatic at all! Hahah maybe I am dramatic

Love the idea of engraving the box and loved that you got a good deal! I am looking forward to hearing about it.

May I ask why you all decided to engrave the box and not the back?

15. amiriqbal Feb 8, 2019

Sorry for the belated reply. I lost track of the thread. The dealer felt it would be difficult to engrave the back of the watch the other graphics (I think it may have the hippocampus?). So we plumped for the box instead

Taddyangle likes this.
  16. amiriqbal Feb 8, 2019

Here is the obligatory wrist shot. When presented with the watch he apparently burst into tears as it was completely unexpected. He hasn't had it off since.

Thanks OF brothers for your help :) IMG-20181222-WA0009.jpg

17. Hunter87 Feb 9, 2019

Get it here! https://www.hackettwatches.com/hw/items/brand?open&brand=omega&model=Seamaster

18. Hunter87 Feb 9, 2019