Forums Latest Members
  1. fryingtonite Jan 22, 2020

I don't post very often but a serious topic (for me)..

I'm finding that wearing watches is becoming less comfortable as I get older. Which is a problem for someone who really likes watches.

The bigger, more modern watches I have, like my TAG and Omega divers niggle me. They are not ridiculously uncomfortable and I am still wearing them, but they intrude. The Omega Seamaster Pro is bigger and heavier than the TAG Aquaracer diver, so I guess that's down to good design. The comfortable ones are the 50s/60s watches and of course, they are way smaller and lighter. Today I'm wearing my daughter's Fitbit - it's really comfy!

I suppose my wrists are on the bony side (yes, I have the wrists of a woman!), I was just curious if this was unique to me or if anyone had had this experience.

All the best,

Tim

cvalue13, JwRosenthal, Spruce and 2 others like this.
  2. Omega-Q Jan 22, 2020

For me, I've gone from wearing watches with the bracelets, to just wearing straps. It makes the wearing experience so much more comfortable for me. I don't like having Fitbit/Apple Watch items on my wrist. I cannot use them at work, and I despise having to "charge" them all the time.

I do agree with you that the older watches were definitely smaller and lighter, but I still feel that modern day watches can still be comfortable as well!

3. Waltesefalcon Jan 22, 2020

I don't really like wearing larger watches, they tend to get caught on my cuffs too much. So most of the watches I actually enjoy wearing are vintage as a result. Today I am wearing a Hamilton Perry and enjoy how unobtrusive it is.

kkt, JwRosenthal, Pun and 1 other person like this.
  4. Flintlock Jan 22, 2020

Titanium is more comfortable than heavier metals. Its hypoallergenic property also helps. Fortunately Omega has you covered.

5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 22, 2020

What is "older"?

These were in the Chevy dealers' showrooms the year I was born.

[​IMG]

You only need to strive to build a gnarly "watch callus" on your wrist so that you may comfortably enjoy your watches. Long years of wearing wristwatches has developed my wrist to perfect satisfaction.

Seriously now ... Could onset of a nerve condition be the cause of increasing discomfort in wearing watches once considered comfortable?

At eight inches my wrists are fairly large in diameter, but I have never much enjoyed wearing watches on anything but straps. I approach metal bracelets with trepidation. Here in Texas the bracelet goes on the Speedmaster in summer months and I also have a spare '57 vintage Constellation with 505 movement that stays fitted out with a beads-of-rice bracelet for use when I anticipate being out in the heat. Otherwise I embrace straps almost all the time.

I also love wearing watches of 34-38mm in diameter and am happy wearing some even smaller. Straps make me happy. I appreciate their style, like the variety available, and enjoy their comfort.

Omega-Q, Spruce and janice&fred like this.
  6. redpcar Jan 22, 2020

upload_2020-1-22_10-10-14.png

;)

watch3s, kkt, Edward53 and 3 others like this.
  7. Flintlock Jan 22, 2020

Depressing

DaveK and janice&fred like this.
  8. Professor Jan 22, 2020

My left wrist is undersized due to an old injury. Anything larger than 38mm can be uncomfortable.
    I've found that a larger diameter watch, up to 48mm can be comfortable if the lugs are turned down and the case back is flat. Less wiggle that way which is the major source of irritation.
    I'd noticed an old WW2 era German military watch had those features, so its not something new.
    Still I'd rather wear a 33-35mm for daily wear and many of the classics fit into that category.
    The Germans and Russian made use of very wide leather cuff/bands for pilots chronometers , mainly to prevent the cold metal from contacting the flesh in high altitude flights and aid in shielding the mechanisms from sweat in hotter environments.
    If I were going to wear a large dia chronometer in the field or shipboard I think I'd go that route.

9. Dedalus05 Jan 22, 2020

I got a good deal on my last purchase, a Planet Ocean 2500c. Paddy who sold it to me complained, at 86yrs, that it was a "young man's watch". It was getting heavier and heavier on his wrist - which were thinner than they had been. So his experience seems to mirror yours.

He just prefers his slimmer DeVilles now.

Spruce and Jerseyhammer like this.
  10. fryingtonite Jan 22, 2020

I’m 58, so not totally over the hill. My wrist is only about 7 1/4 inches and pretty bony. I do get an annual medical so I can ask, but I guess it’s not that easy to diagnose without investigation and I assume not related to the mild arthritis I have in my left thumb as I get no discomfort any other time.

I did try a leather deployment on the seamaster diver but I think I chose one that was too thick as it didn’t mould to my wrist closely.

I’ll take another look on the watch obsession site as they seem to have a good selection.

I bought a Nomos Tangente which is smaller and has turned down lugs and I put a suede strap on that. It’s ok but I don’t want it as my only watch.

I haven’t had a titanium watch for a while but it’s a definite idea.

Thanks a lot

Tim

11. Canuck Jan 22, 2020

I have large wrists. I prefer larger watches, generally. Many of my favourites are 40s, 50s, and 60s models which are smaller than my later ones (my newest two are 30 years old, and are larger). I am comfortable with all of them, strap or bracelet. But I like the look of larger ones. You could consider pocket watches where the sizes (or existence) of a watch pocket might be the determining factor.

Consider. This is one of my (7) Hamilton 992Bs, from circa the late 1940s.
    ! 56D75B01-F012-4157-8347-0AA9A4956F8D.jpeg 6B6B41DB-5770-4882-8645-DEC980DF5473.jpeg

Als 27, Vitezi and Fritz like this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 22, 2020

Timex released a 34mm men’s dress watch with a manual movement and it sold out in hours several times. More and more new releases are coming out under 40mm. I think there is a place for big watches but I think the trend may be reversing. My personal sweet spot is 38mm but I have watches as small a 34mm that are liberating to wear. They look good, do their job and don’t intrude (eg...can be worn under a shirt cuff. )

13. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jan 22, 2020

I had fun getting and wearing Seiko divers although because of the combined weight of watch and bracelet, I switched to NATO straps. For the last few years, they have stayed in the drawer unless I’m off to the seaside!

So, I’m very much into 50/60/early 70s 34-36 mm watches on leather straps. They’re so light by comparison, it’s easy to forget I’m wearing a watch at all.

PS. I have small wrists and hands, my only physical similarity with President T.

14. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jan 22, 2020

You could try one of the new replica AF0210 military straps which are very comfortable and allow totally flexible sizing, they come in 17, 20 and 22mm I think. Or a Eulit I suppose. I think watch comfort is very much helped by a really good fitting strap, particularly for a heavy watch.

15. fryingtonite Jan 22, 2020

Is wearing a pocket watch with anything other than a waistcoat practical?

I recall my brother in law wearing a pocket watch on the end of a leather kind of lace with his jeans years ago, and seeing him fish it out of his jeans pocket was painful. We did wear our jeans much tighter then. I could try this as I have one that I was given as a gift for being Best Man once, so I will give it a go.

Thanks,

Tim

16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 22, 2020

Calling @Mad Dog ... lad needs a lesson on wearing PWs!

Mad Dog and 64Wing like this.
  17. Vitezi Jan 22, 2020

Real men wear 30mm watches 'cause they're comfy! :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

Syrte, Risto, noelekal and 3 others like this.
  18. JwRosenthal Jan 22, 2020

I have found the same issue (I’m 10 years younger than you) have exactly the same size wrist and also have the bone that protrudes at the back of my wrist which makes lug length, strap rigidity and bracelet flexibility a priority. I have become like the princess and the pea as I have gotten older- little things like tags on my clothes or the knap of the fabric on my socks can bother me- I think it’s part of aging, we lose our tolerance for discomfort. I remember being 20- wearing vintage wing-tipped spectators shoes 2 sizes too small, jeans that were skin tights and cut off blood flow to my balls, and not even giving it a second thought.
    My big watches (bigger than 40mm) really just don’t get much wear- they are heavy, get caught on my cuffs, feel like an anchor, etc. I did an experiment where I only wore my 31-33mm vintage military watches for two weeks- nothing else. At the end of the two weeks I put on my Speedmaster and it felt gigantic, heavy- rediculoisly oversized. No shame in going down in size and reconfiguring your collection based on your changing tastes- there’s are plenty of spectacular vintage pieces under 38mm to keep you in style for the rest of your life

noelekal and Vitezi like this.
  19. jsducote Jan 22, 2020

Check whether Omega's rubber strap will work with your Seamaster. It is nothing like a flimsy Casio. NATOs are another good suggestion.
    If weight is a factor, Hublot (and others, I imagine) makes carbon fiber cases and Breitling has a new case material they call "Breitlight" which I've held and is just incredible. You'll swear the thing is empty.

20. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 22, 2020

i have to go with @Canuck, wearing a pocket watch is no problem. One just needs to reach that stage where age induced good sense takes over and you wear jeans for comfort rather than to show off your butt.

but... being a skinny guy, my wrist watches to tend towards the older stuff. The 50s, 40s and even the 30s can provide a lot of nice stuff for the skinny wrist.

you just need to give up that modern stuff!

noelekal, Vitezi and JwRosenthal like this.