Forums Latest Members

Wearing Seamasters in Bath, Jacuzzi, or Sauna

1. Squan Nov 22, 2020

Hello all,

From what I have read online, people go back and forth about wearing their watches in the shower, bath, hot tub, sauna, etc. Some say the water resistance can handle it, others say it will ruin the gaskets and steam can get into the watch.

I was wondering if anybody knows Omega's official stance on this, and if the METAS seamasters with 300m resistance can handle the hot temperatures. Thanks and happy Thanksgiving!

IMG_3246.jpeg
  2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Nov 22, 2020

3. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Nov 22, 2020

I always wonder way anybody would consider spending several grand on a watch and then subject it to something they are pretty sure may harm it.

I have some cheap divers which I bought for rough use and I won't treat those to the shower.

Edited Nov 22, 2020
    3rdstringholder likes this.
  4. pw92676 Nov 22, 2020

I usually will wear a Seiko in the hot tub or sauna.

Sometimes the situation just calls for wearing your watch; life doesn’t always respect the watch lol. In my personal opinion, if you do wear it in one of the above situations, that’s fine, but wouldn’t make a habit of if.

Squan and MtnMarine like this.
  5. 3rdstringholder Nov 22, 2020

My sentiments, exactly!

6. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Nov 22, 2020

Seriously, does anyone REALLY need to have their watch on in a Bath, Jacuzzi or Sauna?

gbesq and MtnMarine like this.
  7. MtnMarine Nov 22, 2020

Really? No we don’t. Usually those activities are for leisure and we don’t need to know the time..... but personally I feel naked without a watch. I buy my watches to wear them. I specifically bought my Aqua Terra Skyfall for this reason... I admit I still check the crown OCD like before going in but I want my watch to preform...

I also take off this same watch when I shower just out of habit, so take this for what’s it worth. I think we’re a “particular” crowd, haha.

8. MtnMarine Nov 22, 2020

I will also add that I work in the sealants/waterproofing industry. The service range of all of these gaskets shouldn’t even be stressed by something like 40 degrees to 104... (hot tub temp) that’s not a dramatic shift for sealants by any means. It will not affect swell shrinkage until about 200 degrees depending on the material and that’s still nominal.

Tekashi_145.022 likes this.
  9. arkman Nov 22, 2020

But I also tend to feel (and be) naked in a bath, sauna, and sometimes jacuzzi.

MtnMarine, Davidt and Scooterino36 like this.
  10. Scooterino36 Nov 22, 2020

Agreed, I just didn’t buy mine to wear in the bath, shower, sauna or hot tub. Otherwise we are on the same page ;)

MtnMarine likes this.
  11. rjdemarco Nov 22, 2020

Never had an issue in the sauna or hot tub. There are times when it’s better to wear it than take it off. 104 hot tub isn’t that hot, but things do heat up considerably in a sauna. Your own body temp does help to keep it cooler than the sauna air temp.

12. Squan Nov 22, 2020

I think it's just interesting to know whether they can handle the environment or not! I have never worn my watch in one of these scenarios

13. Caliber561 Nov 23, 2020

If one is living in an area where theft is common it would probably be better to keep it on than leave it out of sight, such as in a locker or etc.

MtnMarine likes this.
  14. PRW Nov 23, 2020

Wear it all the time.
    I've had a pre bond 200m, bond blue wave 300m and now the new black 300m.
    All of them subjected to all the situations you have mentioned. All survived.
    The blue bond was even subjected to cliff diving on a holiday once, not affected at all.
    Wear it and enjoy it.

MtnMarine likes this.
  15. PRW Nov 23, 2020

Oh!
    Did I mention that the 200m pre bond actually was submerged to 80m during a dive with my padi instructor in Jamaica. Used for what it was designed for and I never had that watch serviced, just a battery change when it ran out and a dry pressure test at the local AD. Fantastic watch, I still regret selling that one. Wish I could source it and buy it back.

MtnMarine and Zapatta like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 23, 2020

Wear a diver in the bath, shower and spa and never had a issue. Live in a sauna being tropical Northern Australia.

Swim with a watch, dive with a watch, waterski with a watch, just about to go play beach volleyball with a watch.

Just wear it, if things go wrong, get it fixed.

Don’t own a Seamaster as I find the Helium Valve ugly and useless and ruins my whole wrist Feng Shui