Forums Latest Members

Wearing a 19mm strap on a 20mm lug width

1. Sidrox25 Dec 28, 2017

I wanted to switch up the look on my Speedy Pro. I actually own a custom made leather strap from Jones in Tokyo that I haven't used in a while. Now I know this watch has a 20mm lug width, but the strap was custom made at 19mm. Just wondering if there would be any issues wearing it like this? Other than the obvious 1 mm floating gap on the band. Its not really noticeable unless you really stare at it. I really like the strap/color and I would hate to reorder something exactly the same all over again.

DSC_0216.jpg
  2. kwiklot Dec 28, 2017

I had to look to find it, honestly might not have thought anything if you had not pointed it out, how does it look when wearing it?

3. Wyatt66 Dec 28, 2017

It’s my understanding that a strap of the wrong size puts pressure on the pins at the wrong point, and therefore is less secure, so *in principle* the pin may break or come out. However, I don’t think a 1mm gap is that significant on a 20mm lug gap, but you’ll struggle to maintain an equal 0.5mm each side - you’ll probably find the gap is all on one side, but if the aesthetics don’t bother you, go for it.

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 28, 2017

20mm on 19mm lugs often works but I am afraid I don't agree that 19mm looks any good on 20mm lugs, the gaps look terrible. Here is an example of the former:

IMG_0078.jpg

MG-Speedy and Spruce like this.
  5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 28, 2017

Be sure to use strong, high-quality spring bars. If the band has room to wiggle it can grab the spring bar as it twists and - if the spring is weak - unseat it from the lugs *crash*

Looneytoons likes this.
  6. Vanallard Dec 28, 2017

Interesting point - my view is that it's better if the strap can move freely as opposed to having a tight fit as the latter scenario increases the likelihood of the bar moving if there is any movement in the strap.

7. Sidrox25 Dec 28, 2017

I'm using the Omega Spring bars. But that was my main fear regarding the watch falling off.

8. strick9 Jan 1, 2018

looks to be off by 1mm
    ;)