Forums Latest Members
  1. McKinley Jan 24, 2018

We be po', too po' to afford the other O or the R has been a long running joke with my wife and I practically since we have been together. It has been a joke, but kept us grounded on our "want" purchases. We have always bought low mileage, 2 or 3 yr old vehicles and let someone else take the immediate beat down in car value. We have always bought middle of the road goods, not top shelf, but not crap from the bottom either. I have been wanting a Panda chronograph for longer than I have been a member here. (Ok, that was only 4 months ago I joined, but with all I have learned, it feels longer.) Now all of you know what a Heuer Panda with a Valjoux movement costs, I don't need to tell you. So, I started looking at Hamiltons......wow! One in good condition now goes for over 3K all day and night long. Then I heard about the Sears brand, Tradition....still $1500 to $2000 depending on condition. I would have thought Tradition was off brand, but I soon realized I had to go further off brand....not Zodiac, nearly as much as a Hamilton....Bucherer...nope that guy is asking 2K......Clebar? Nope, that one is a bit odd shaped, I am looking for the traditional shape and it is $1200. I learned I was going to have to go way off brand. And, to finally get to what I found, this is way, way off brand. I had never heard of Felicitas Neuchatel. But after the Panda was listed, and while in negotiations with the seller, I did some quick internet research and prayed no one would hit his "buy it now" price. I could find almost nothing that might be relevant to this watch but this:

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/84315-which-brands-should-be-in-a-collection/&page=2

Which, if the guy isn't lying or full of b.s., made me feel the case would be fine, maybe better than fine. To me the most important thing was the movement, provided the dial and case shape were to my preference. I knew I wanted a Valjoux 7733 or 7734 movement if the watch had a date function. I wanted a Heuer or Hamilton round style case and a two register dial, to my family and I, that is a true Panda dial. 3 registers is Mickey Mouse. It was important to me that my daughter liked the watch, as she will inherit it. And pandas are her favorite animal. So, even though my wife and daughter don't share my watch passion/affliction, I feel this has a chance to be kept and worn when I am gone. Alright, I am rambling I know and I am sorry. There is more I wanted to say, but on to the pics. I apologize for not just posting in WDYBT thread, but I am just too ecstatic to not make a big deal of this.

McK

P.S. If anyone can tell me more about this watch brand, I would appreciate it.

20180124_163928.jpg
    20180124_163922.jpg
    20180124_163829.jpg
    20180124_163731.jpg
    s-l400-3.jpg

P.P.S. I know I need to buy a rally strap for this watch, she deserves it. I can't wait to time myself in the quarter mile in my '65 Mustang. I feel this watch will be right at home, time period wise and belongs on my wrist when I get behind the wheel again in the spring. C'mon Spring. LOL

Edited Jan 24, 2018
  2. Baz9614 Jan 24, 2018

Very Cool!

Edited Jan 24, 2018
    McKinley likes this.
  3. Pjotr1 Jan 24, 2018

Nice story and a very nice watch :). It seems you really thought about it first. Enjoy!

McKinley likes this.
  4. Vitezi Jan 24, 2018

Mikrolisk records the wordmark Felicitas (and later, Felicitas Neuchâtel) as registerd by Ernest Schlenker, Felicitas Watch Factory, Neuchâtel and La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland; registered on 21 November 1921. The wordmark Felicitas Neuchâtel was registered on 20 September 1969, so your watch is probably from the early to mid-1970s

McKinley likes this.
  5. McKinley Jan 24, 2018

Thank you for that information. I really appreciate it. Maybe I need to buy another, later model Mustang. Now I have a reason, to match my watch. Surely, my wife will understand. ::rimshot:::p:D

Vitezi likes this.
  6. Vitezi Jan 24, 2018

Surely you're not thinking of a mid-70's Mustang II, are you? ::facepalm2::
    Here, let me fix that for ya: :p
    upload_2018-1-24_20-50-8.png

Pjotr1 likes this.
  7. McKinley Jan 24, 2018

NO!!! LOL I really am not into Mustangs after the '68 Eleanor Fastbacks. I would have to draw the line there. Please fix your photo shop efforts.

Vitezi likes this.
  8. Bushido Jan 24, 2018

Congratulations on one fine looking panda!

McKinley likes this.