Forums Latest Members
  1. furnacehouse Apr 21, 2015

I wear only one watch and rarely ever take it off. I currently have a recent-ish Rolex Explorer that serves my needs very well. I like the contrast of the hands against the black dial as my eyesight is not so good any more and the 36mm diameter suits my puny wrists. However, the Rolex is a little sparkly for my tastes and I would prefer something more reserved. An older Explorer is silly money so I started to look around and found older Seamasters that looked as though they might do the trick. As long as Rolex back and screw-down gaskets are replaced and the watch is pressure tested, it matters little how old they are. What is the situation for Seamasters and is there a particular age that I should avoid?
    Many thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts.

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 21, 2015

It really doesn't matter if it is a Rolex or a Timex (or anywhere in between) All of the seals can be replaced. The crown can be replaced or, if you have the patience of a saint - and can get the right size - the crown seal can be replaced. The fact remains that the case can corrode over time and the sealing surfaces of that metal can become imperfect. Then, you simply cannot guarantee that a seal will hold. The only way to ensure that it is OK is to buy one that has been pressure tested an held up to that test, or to buy new and use the manufacturer's warranty.

3. furnacehouse Apr 21, 2015

Thanks Stewart. Do the older (1960/70) ones have screw in crowns? I am an amateur (and certainly not a brand snob) but the "oyster twin lock" idea feels convincing.

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 21, 2015

Some do and some don't - it is model specific.

5. Dogmann Apr 21, 2015

Hi furnacehouse,

I have a 1978 Seamaster 166.0250 which is called the Baby PloProf and dates from 1978, when it arrived a year ago I had it serviced straight away and it only needed a new crown and crown gasket and rear gasket and it passed it's water proof test, These watches where built well and as long as they haven't been abused and have been serviced they are fine and fit for purpose. Here is picture of it.

[​IMG]IMAG0063 by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

Marc

Longbow and OmegaRookie like this.
  6. furnacehouse Apr 22, 2015

Thanks Marc. That's an encouraging tale, and a nice looking piece too. I will continue my search armed with this info

M

7. PatrickJ Apr 23, 2015

I have a 1962 seamaster and do not splash water on it even when hand washing.

8. Canuck Apr 24, 2015

I have a number of Rolex watches, four of which I probably could wear in water. But I don't wear any of my Omegas, Rolexes, or any of the other 50-odd wrist watches in my collection, in water. The only thing that can be guaranteed regarding the water resistance of any watch, is that it eventually will leak! At least, that's the way I see it.

9. furnacehouse Apr 25, 2015

Hmm. Maybe we have been lucky, but I have worn my watch everyday for 15years, showered (almost daily!) in it and never take it off. Similarly, Mrs Furnace has done the same with her Lady Datejust for 25 years. Are we alone or do others treat them like this too?

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 25, 2015

If you are doing that and no service for 15 years, it's only a matter of time until the watch leaks...

If the watch is serviced and passes pressure testing, then you are fine.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 25, 2015

Here's my sister in-law's Daytona after 12 years:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/change-your-seals-and-get-wpts-done-or-rusty-daytona-content.17338/

Now do keep in mind that watch was still running after 12 years just stopping intermittently, I had to confiscate it from her and take it to the watchmaker.

If your wife's Datejust has had 25 years of daily wear without service, its way overdue. Just because it keeps going doesn't mean its healthy or not doing damage, as the Daytona shots in that thread I linked demonstrate.

VetPsychWars likes this.
  12. Canuck Apr 25, 2015

A number of years ago, a friend of mine was taking a vacation in the southern U S A. He was wearing his (then) 20-year-old Rolex Date-Just, in a pool. It fogged a bit. He took it to a jewellery store, and had to leave it for several days. When he went back to pick it up, they assured him his fogging problem had been attended to, to the tune of several hundred dollars! Well, guess what! Into the pool he went, and this time it filled up with water! He brought it to me when he got back, and by then it was a rusted mess! I'm not at home at the moment, or I would include pictures. What is the difference between repairing a watch, and maintaining a watch? Repairing is what you have to do after you neglect the maintenance!

chickenman26 likes this.
  13. chickenman26 Apr 25, 2015

I ran into an old Army buddy a few months ago who wore a Rolex diver of some sort last I saw him in '74. Now, he's wearing a beat up old Timex. Said he sold the Rolex to a jeweler a few years ago for $250, because it was all rusted up. He wore it swimming, and it filled with water. How old was it. "15 years." How long since the last service? "It never needed service. It was running fine." ::facepalm1::

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 25, 2015

Even if filled with water, an unpolished 1680/5513/5512 case and bracelet... jeweller did well

15. chickenman26 Apr 25, 2015

Unpolished, probably. Undamaged, not likely. Based on what his present watch looks like, that Rolex likely looked as bad on the outside as inside. He wore it on the underside of his wrist and had an outdoors job using heavy machinery.