Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 1, 2014

So, after years thinking I didnt like bracelets on watches, ive had my Skyfall AT on a bracelet glued to my wrist the last week. I love that FINALLY I am wearing a watch that I can do the dishes with, bathe my daughter with, go to the pool with, etc, etc.

Now obviously that is mainly due to the waterproofness of the AT, but how do high quality leather bands cope with some water? Im not talking about swimming, but doing the dishes, etc, etc?

2. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jan 1, 2014

Having always enjoyed buying new, expensive "shoes" for my watches I learned to use Lexol. Before I put them on I put a little on both sides of both straps without the removal keeper and buckle and rub it in with my fingers. If there's a removal keeper I rub it with what's left on my fingers. I let it dry then take my horse-hair shoe brush to them. Be advised that this will darken light or honey color straps, but will enrich their appearance.

3. cookieandmilk Jan 1, 2014

If you google 'red 12 straps' they have some leathers thta are waterproof - I do not have a strap from them but I will be ordering one of their vintage ammo leather straps.

4. steelgold Jan 1, 2014

Hirsch makes a nice 100m water resistant band.

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 1, 2014

Thanks for these pointers!

6. ulackfocus Jan 1, 2014

Hydrophane Leather Dressing.

Cleans, conditions / softens, and waterproofs. It does darken light leather a shade though. I've also used the waterproofers used on leather boots & shoes too, just like you find in the shopping mall shoe stores. Never noticed any discoloration with them.

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 1, 2014

So, here is an idea for noobie hazing - send them all your leather bands for treatment. If they do it, then we help them with watch purchases!

8. ulackfocus Jan 1, 2014

That could backfire. Let's say you get 3 or 4 custom Hadley-Roma gator straps…. they could cost more than a Seamaster DeVille.

Hzgm likes this.