Forums Latest Members
  1. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 15, 2016

Knowing that you don't speak for O:

What about a sub-scenario 2a:

2 year old PO you pressure test 1-1-2016 it passes ... And you go swimming in June 2016 and you get water in (just like the op scenario). So you did everything O asked you to do...

What's your take on that?

2. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 15, 2016

Not sure that argument holds water legally ;)

My car producer *recommends* using Shell engine oil (they even put a sticker on my window). If I use the right weight (and rating) of Mobile oil, I am clearly not following their recommendation. Shall I lose my warranty over that if the engine seizes after the first regular oilchange @ 3k miles?

Judges normally will ask what *reasonably* can be expected of a certain product.

This quest for *reasonably* helps to block or act as counterweight to unreasonable recommendations of producers that can or will weaken a consumers case. E.g. Omega recommending a quarterly or monthly waterproof test so they can turn down many cases of water ingress.

Imho - an average person would expect a high dollar top tier brand dive watch rated @600m to be fit for recreational swimming after 2 years.

Fora £6 Chinese plastic watch the answer would probably be no.

Any lawyers on board?

Edited Sep 15, 2016
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 15, 2016

The watches I get wet I check annually and change the seals every 2 years, it costs about $50 for me to get a seal change, never had an issue with that process and it's not exactly costly.

w.finkenstaedt and Archer like this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 16, 2016

I some cases yes you void your warranty. Not all oils are the same they have different additives. In my car using anything other then Castrol 10w60 TWS voids the warranty. Independent tests have also shown that normal 10w60 oil does increase wear. Then again my engine puts out over 100hp per liter naturally aspirated and revs to 8k rpm.

You can count on one hand the cars that put out that much HP per liter without a turbo that do not have a prancing horse badge.

5. cdsdss Sep 16, 2016

Got my PO back from the service center and they got the water out. I can wear it without the crystal fogging up. Movement seems okay to the naked eye, but doubtless it's suffered some damage. Once I'm back in the US I'll have it properly serviced. For now, it's nice to have my favorite watch back on my wrist.

PO.jpg

gostang9, Archer and meganfox17 like this.
  6. Alex_TA Sep 16, 2016

Absolutely covered. In my case local SC did the work under warranty - twice [emoji9]

For me it's not even a question: 4 years warranty no matter what. It's freaking 600m WR watch for god sake [emoji84]

Edited Sep 16, 2016
    Smspectre likes this.
  7. overlinjw Sep 16, 2016

I think this person is kidding? Do you know the case maker in China that produces Omega cases? I'm just asking so I can write a thread and expose them, since this would be news to everyone in the world.

Seriously man, they service your watch for free AND they give you a quick turnaround, and you still trash them like that? And then you threaten to switch to team Rolex? That's disappointing :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 16, 2016

How old was the watch when this happened? I have yet to ever hear of a 4 year old watch that leaked being covered under warranty...

overlinjw likes this.
  9. Alex_TA Sep 16, 2016

Less than a year.
    If so, one more reason not to buy PO.

10. overlinjw Sep 16, 2016

I believe this is a universal recommendation. All watch maintenance sites say to get a water test every year... if you don't do that, you are definitely putting your watch at risk! It's not expensive to get it pressure tested, and it's better than learning the hard way.

I hope OP got his water tested before snorkeling with it if it's been more than a year out from the AD.

11. jblau Sep 16, 2016

Never seen this happen and its surprising with such a deep pressure rating.

Hope it didnt get in the the movement side. It should have the clear case back, Does the movement have water ?

12. cdsdss Sep 16, 2016

I didn't see any water through the case back. The watch didn't flood. But the service center did say that the movement might have gotten some water in it. I'll feel better once I can send it off for full servicing.

13. speedbird Sep 16, 2016

That's absurd, and you know it. Seals are perishable, it's really silly to argue this point. I guess I could see it if you've never been around anything mechanical, ever, you might feel that way.

Bottom line: Didn't service the Mercedes and it broke, ie oil changes etc, no warranty. Didn't pressure test your watch for years, that's also abuse and when the seals fail, too bad.

overlinjw likes this.
  14. Perseus Sep 16, 2016

I'm genuinely surprised by all the people that refuse to pressure test their watches and are willing to roll the dice on the outcome. In my mind if the manufacturer of a product recommends you do something simple in order to avoid catastrophic damage I don't know why you wouldn't follow their guidelines.

Nitzbar and overlinjw like this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 16, 2016

Well, it wasn't a legal argument, just a comment that Omegas expectations are different from yours.

overlinjw likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 16, 2016

C'mon man, why take simple steps to protect your watch, when you could argue endlessly on the internets about what is legal and what isn't! ;)

Where's the fun in taking care of your watch and acting prudently...it's much more fun to rant and rave about what a watch should perform like because it's rated for lots of meters, blame the company for using Chinese made cases, saying they make junk when a very small percentage of watches fail, or make failed car analogies...

Cheers, Al

17. M'Bob Sep 16, 2016

C'mon, dude. You just made me spit coffee all over my computer screen. Now I have to get the seals checked!

w.finkenstaedt, Nitzbar and Archer like this.
  18. overlinjw Sep 16, 2016

This is a very flawed way to look at an argument, especially in the context of water gear. This isn't a "what is optimal for my car" sort of question, it's a "what is required for upkeep of my car." If you're gonna get a watch wet, you need the seals checked regularly.

As a diver, and an owner of planet ocean, I'll give you this example. Scuba gear is highly recommended to be checked and inspected for function by a shop every year, and some tests are done on tanks every few years. Any reputable place will not fill a tank that hasn't met the annual inspection requirements. It's not a "legal" requirement, but it's a safety thing, as a broken seal or valve can mean the end of your life. In the case of a bottom timer like a dive watch, you can consider the same principle to apply. Stuff that gets exposed to water needs to be checked more often. Period.

We tend to overlook watches in water on this forum and a lot of people see these cases of water damage, but if you got the seals checked every year, this wouldn't be a problem. And if you buy a new watch, get them checked anyways if you're going to swim with it.

If you don't want to get your dive watch checked for water resistance every year, then you should get a G shock and not wear your PO in the ocean. Just because it's WR to 600m doesn't mean a seal can't leak. You gotta be careful! It's dangerous out there for little machines :/

w.finkenstaedt likes this.
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 16, 2016

20. Smspectre Sep 16, 2016

I can't Believe people can say on here it's ok for a watch rated at 600m costing lots of money and as a warranty of 4yrs should be pressure tested at least once a year. I find this to be poor.
    Now if for your own peice of mind you want to do this all well and good.
    Could someone please point me in the right direction as to where omega say we need to have it pressure tested every year and also why do the sales staff not inform us of this when we purchase a watch.

heccsat, overlinjw and Alex_TA like this.