Forums Latest Members
  1. Duquephart Sep 9, 2021

I wanted a nice roll for my small collection and found a pretty good deal on a three watch Everest on the Bay. Really nice roll and works very well as intended. But, (and this never entered my head when shopping) storing the watches, particularly my Globemaster, in the roll seems to have negative impact on accuracy. I used to just set the watch down on it's crown when not in use with accuracy of ~ +3 seconds/week. Now, stored face up in the roll the accuracy has suffered quite a bit although still well within spec. Anyone else care to comment on their own experiences with watch rolls?

2. SkunkPrince Sep 9, 2021

As you have already identified, it's all the position and not the roll itself. I have various rates on watches I put in my Pelican cases overnight and look at the next day. It's not the case, it's that the watch is 12-down aka crown left during that period.

3. Duquephart Sep 9, 2021

Not blaming the roll. Something for others to consider when deciding to "roll" their watches.

4. chich Sep 10, 2021

Try a hard travel case instead, I find watch rolls to be quite cumbersome and not as protective as I'd like. There's great options now available in all sizes you'd like.

5. Duquephart Sep 10, 2021

If you read the original post very carefully you will notice that this thread is not about which travel case to use.

6. chich Sep 10, 2021

The impact to your watch is unique only to you and your timepiece. Other watches may react very differently - no change or +/- a different amount. All you're stating is that resting a watch in a different position changes its accuracy a different amount, which is well known.

Depending on the amount of watches and size of your roll, the watch could be face up, down or on an angle. Not sure what you are expecting?

7. Dan S Sep 10, 2021

If this is important to you, you could probably find a way to stow the roll on end so that the crown is down. Unfortunately, this may not be the optimal position for the other watches in the roll.

I do occasionally use a watch roll if I'm carrying a few watches to a meet-up. However, I'm having trouble understanding the use case for a roll if it is not for travel. There would be no reason for me to use one in my home. It's inconvenient to insert and remove watches, and they provide minimal protection.

Moreover, unless you are going to wear the watch again in the next day or two, then accuracy doesn't really matter (since it will need to be reset anyway), and if you are going to wear the watch the next day, why put it in a roll? Do you remove all the watches each day, wind them, and re-insert them?

8. Duquephart Sep 10, 2021

The model of roll was stated and all I was doing was alerting others to my experience. And, I did admit that I should have known the results would ensue.

9. Evitzee Sep 10, 2021

I'm like @Dan S in I don't understand what the OP is trying to accomplish. A watch roll is for longer storage, not overnight storage.