Forums Latest Members
  1. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Apr 30, 2016

is there a "common code"?

I'd assume someone who chooses to leave a mark on the inside of the caseback would put in:

- year/month of service
    - personal "code" donno... initials or so ...

can the pro's share what they do?

Optimizer13 likes this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 30, 2016

The codes can mean various things. They can be a code assigned by a trade association (AWI in the US used to assign them), it could be initials and a date, or it could just be a job number for the shop.

Times change - this used to be done by most watchmakers, but it is considered damaging a customers watch now. Some use markers instead, but I personally have concerns about off gassing of the ink. I personally do not mark customers watches...I take enough photos to ensure that I have an accurate record of the watch as it left my shop.

Cheers, Al

Optimizer13 and Mad Dog like this.
  3. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker May 1, 2016

I do nothing that would be considered as damaging the watch. The BHI standards of practice frown upon any markings like this, as well as polishing, etc. Conservation is the goal.

I don't believe that the service centers follow this standard given the amount of markings I see that appear to be service center applied.

Rob

4. Canuck May 1, 2016

Watchmaker repair marks can certainly be an important part in the provenance of a watch. I have a 16-size Waltham Crescent Street that served for 45 years in the bib overalls of an employee of Canadian Pacific Railway. It has 35 repair numbers inside the case back, 33 by the same railroad watch inspector, and two by someone else. I knew who the watch inspector was (long deceased). His repair records were donated to a museum here, upon his death. A friend of mine found these records and photocopied them. A data base was made of the repair numbers. I now have a complete service record of this watch from the first repair in 1918, to the last repair by this inspector in 1961. Aside from the 35 service marks, I am the only other person to have serviced this watch.

As to shops that use ink to mark repair numbers? I run into them from time to time in the process of servicing watches. By the time the case has been cleaned, inked repair records are gone! Good luck to those who use ink!

By the way, this Waltham had 7 balance staffs and 7 mainsprings over the decades, plus the usual mandatory service every two years. The watch clearly had a lot of accidents over its years of service with the owner, and the vitreous enamel dial shows it. Aside from that, this watch could still perform to railroad standard!

GuiltyBoomerang and Vitezi like this.
  5. bowlerx May 1, 2016

My father ran an Authorized Omega Service Center in the US for over 20 years. He marked the job number in the back for the customer as well as his own protection. He knew immediately if and when a watch was repaired and could act accordingly. Amazing how many folks said their watch was fixed there and there was no indication at all. Did this damage the watch....hardly think so...in fact, having evidence of an authorized repair probably increased the value.....

NThomas likes this.
  6. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker May 2, 2016

That is an incredible story and probably one of the few RR watches where the history can be shown. A really interesting piece for sure.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  7. Canuck May 2, 2016

Here is the Crescent Street, shown with the archival material I have gathered over the years I have owned it. I do a special display each time we do our railroad watch exhibit. Please excuse the Accutrons shown with it. The printout showing the 33 repairs I referred to, image.jpeg is shown in the exhibit. Should watch repairers inscribe repair numbers inside watch case backs? I guess you know where I stand on the topic!

ahartfie likes this.