Forums Latest Members
  1. relue8 Nov 28, 2017

I will be purchasing my first "real" watch soon. I've almost narrowed it down to a JLC master control date with the 899/1 movement and an Omega Aqua Terra with the 8900 movement. I've searched online for information as I'd like to know which movement is better in terms of reliability (and accuracy, but as long as it's comparable I don't care). I've heard that the JLC, being thinner, is more fragile than the Omega. Is that true? Since I haven't found much information, I wanted to ask if any of the watchmakers (or someone who owns both) on the forum could chime in. I've also considered a Rolex Datejust with the 3235 movement, but haven't managed to find a professional's opinion of it either, is that because the movement is too new?

Thanks!

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 28, 2017

Well accuracy comes down to the watch and how you wear it. But the Omega is COSC certified or higher. I forget if the 8900 is the new higher cert now but I’m 99% sure it is. Both that movement and the Rolex are broadly the same with magnetic resistance and power reserve, and higher then COSC timing.

The JLC is not anti magnetic nor COSC so your mileage will vary. But it’s not a bad movement.

Honestly between the three I’d go with the one that fits your budget and you like on your wrist the best.

Mouse_at_Large and propervinyl like this.
  3. Bulldozer Dec 21, 2017

As you say accuracy can vary even with the same movements, I am lucky to have an Omega 2531.80 Seamaster with the 1120 cal and a vintage 1969 Omega constellation 168.029 with the 751 cal and they both run within 2 seconds per day fast.
    I took delivery of a used Steinhart Ocean One Vintage in DLC matte Black with the cal 2824-2 movement and to test it I have had it on my wrist since 10.30am Tuesday19th December, so more than 60 hours and it has gained just 6 seconds in that time. So it is performing very similar and far better than average for that movement.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 21, 2017

JLC has a 1000 hour test that is said to be more stringent than COSC. I own a Master Moon triple date and a Reverso. No complaints.