Forums Latest Members
  1. speedygrail May 9, 2020

What is the "Average" Speedmaster 3570 service cost from an independent watchmaker? I realize Omega charges a flat rate of $750 and curious what most people are paying from an independent in the USA?

I realize the answer can and will most likely be "it depends". On the watchmaker, on the parts needed etc etc. But in general, what should someone expect to pay?

2. Donn Chambers May 9, 2020

The independent watchmaker I use charged me $650 for servicing a Flightmaster (similar movement) a couple of years ago. I’m sure his rates have gone up by now to be close to $750.

3. alam May 9, 2020

curious here, what’s the warranty standard related to a service job do most independent watchmakers offer as compared to Omega?

4. Donn Chambers May 9, 2020

The warranty on mine was only 6 months, so not nearly as good as Omega’s.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 9, 2020

Independent watchmakers are just that - independent. There is no standard cost or warranty coverage. Each shop or person will decide pricing and warranty coverage based on their own business. A 6 month warranty is surprising though...mine is 2 years, the same as Omega, but again everyone is different.

JwRosenthal, Als 27 and AntonisCy like this.
  6. alam May 9, 2020

in this scenario —to me— this does not justify using an independent watchmaker over Omega for a $100 savings.

I’m sure all independent watchmakers operate differently but when I said “standard” I was thinking more in terms of a range or average —as these are common measures for repairs costs and warranties offered in all types of industries/services.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. Donn Chambers May 9, 2020

in my case, I had the watch back in two weeks, so it was worth using a local for me. If I’d chosen to use Omega, it would have had to go back to Switzerland and they probably would have insisted on a new dial and hands, as those were quite worn.

as far as a range, you’ll just have to wait for others to chime in and give their numbers and accumulate that. I can just give my experience.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 9, 2020

my understanding from @Robert-Jan is that there is a checkbox on the service form for the restoration dept or something similar to make sure the hands and dial are not replaced.

maybe he can spread some light on it.

9. alam May 9, 2020

I understand your situation, I was assuming the OP’s Speedy is not a vintage or a watch that would require the “special attention” an independent watchmaker can offer...

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 9, 2020

Check box or not, if Omega inspects the dial and hands and they don’t meet specs, they will insist on replacing them, or if you are lucky they will send the watch back unserviced.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  11. JwRosenthal May 9, 2020

Keep in mind that a chronograph is usually much more expensive to service than a 3 hander. I don’t see the $750 charge by Omega being unreasonable considering the warranty and guarantee of factory parts (and I have seen some factory repairs on this site where they replaced almost every internal parts and returned the old parts in a baggie- the sum of the new parts were worth more than the service!). But as said before, if you want to retain original dial/hands/case finish, then best to deal directly with an independent to play it safe.
    As for cost- I’ve seen anywhere from $350 (not including parts) up to $1k (not including parts). So it all comes down to the reputation of the watchmaker for the quality is their work and location (a skilled watchmaker working out of their house in Boise, ID may charge much less than one with a storefront in NYC)...key is they have to have a Swatchgroup parts account otherwise things can escalate quickly once they get it open and have to source parts on the open market.

12. FREDMAYCOIN May 9, 2020

If you pay more than 350 for a movement service your getting ripped off. A good watchmaker with many years of experience will not charge more. If ever in south Florida pm me and I will put you in contact. Most jewelry stores mark up the service fee and even double it and all they will pay their watchmaker is half or less. My watch maker will honor his service for at least 2 years and if anything goes wrong he will fix it at no additional charge, which never happens because he knows what he is doing.

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 9, 2020

I’m with you on this. He corrected me on FB about this. He said it was no longer true. My response was I was not aware of this, my OB was not and perhaps some people have better access then others. I’m not going to fight with him on FB about it.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 9, 2020

Don’t blame you. If he wants to come here and elaborate that would be good.

For me, unless Omega’s internal policies on this are changed, which there is no evidence of, I would take these claims with a very large grain of salt. I would want to see some clear evidence of an update the the Vintage Diagnostic Handbook, which is where the various tests are defined, and what the appropriate course of action is in the event the part doesn’t pass. For dials, it still says that the edge of the dial is tested to see if any finish lifts, and it still states that if it fails that test then dial refinishing or replacement is mandatory.

I can see them adding a checkbox to “request” that the hands and dial are kept if possible, but it would be nothing more than that.

Sidreilley and Foo2rama like this.