Forums Latest Members

Watchmaker expirience - expecting too much?

1. 1685 Mar 3, 2016

So I'd like to level set or confirm my expectations when dealing with my watchmaker. He has serviced 3 prior watches for me. This round I took 2 in, a vintage Pierce chrono for full overhaul/service and a 1970ish Omega Seamaster chrono to put the 7 hour plot which fell off when dipsh&t here dropped it dial down on the hardwoods.

Go to pick them up the other day
    1. Pierce, I wind it up, still tight but it is old. Attempt to start the chrono, second recorder does not start. Point this out to the desk lady, she's perplexed goes and gets watchmaker. E says hummmm, returns to shop with watch. Not a quick fix but he knows the issue and will call me when ready.
    Question: so after paying for a vintage full service would one expect this to work or be checked out prior to client coming in? From what I've read Pierces are a bugger to service, but..,,, am I expecting too much?

2. Seamaster - pick it up it winds, attempt to reset chrono as I notice 3 hours have elapsed on the hour recorder and well I like them zeroed out when not timing. Depress the reset pusher and the hour recorder hand pops off? Really?

Do I need to find a new watchmaker?
    Am I being too critical for vintage pieces?

Thanks all
    Mark

2. Illiknight Mar 3, 2016

My instinct says find a new watchmaker. Were the other 3 watches chronos as well?

1685 likes this.
  3. 1685 Mar 3, 2016

No the first 3 were not chronos, 2 were modern 1 vintage. Thanks for your input.

4. Illiknight Mar 3, 2016

Well if those prior 3 were fine, then maybe he's OK for less complicated movements and you need someone else for chrono service.

arkstfan and 1685 like this.
  5. abrod520 Mar 3, 2016

Agree - sometimes, old watches have problems that take a few trips to diagnose, which may be the case with the chrono seconds issue - but hands falling off is just sloppy.

arkstfan, 1685 and Illiknight like this.
  6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 3, 2016

+1 for find a new watchmaker. Imagine a car mechanic that rebuilds an engine, but does not test drive it upon completion. Just like a good mechanic, a good watchmaker will complete a repair, and then test to ensure that the watch was properly fixed.

Illiknight and 1685 like this.
  7. ulackfocus Mar 3, 2016

Pierce chronographs are a p.i.t.a. to work on.

toddle321, gatorcpa, vinn2 and 3 others like this.
  8. 1685 Mar 3, 2016

Thanks for the input fellas. Just makes me worry what's going on inside the other 3 he serviced.

9. Illiknight Mar 3, 2016

As an owner of a Pierce chrono, finding someone to service them is difficult. Even Craig Bergsma, aka Chronodeco, won't service them. From his website:
    "I do repair work on Angelus, Landeron, Lemania (excluded the cal 5100), Universal, Venus and Valjoux based chronographs plus I have an inventory of many parts (no Pierce please)."

Not to defend your WM. He took it and if he knew what the problem was, it should've been fixed before being handed to you. The sweep hand popping off the other is totally inexcusable.

1685 likes this.
  10. vinn2 Mar 8, 2016

there are watchmaker schools, even one in Finnland. these instatutions issue a degree or certification that indicates years of training. manufactures provide certificates of aprentieship JUST ASK the man where he was trained. vinn

11. Perseus Mar 8, 2016

Yes. I'm not saying mistakes don't happen but a simple double check would have let him know something was wrong. If he can't be bothered to see if he did the work correctly it makes me wonder what else during the service process he's not bothering to address or do correctly.

Illiknight and 1685 like this.
  12. 1685 Mar 8, 2016

Vinn, yes very sound advice and I did check this out prior to taking my watches to him. He's a CW21 through the American Watchmakers - Clockmakers Institute, which sounds like the similar society / institution for learning you have in Finland. Best, Mark