Forums Latest Members
  1. Qwertyqaz Sep 14, 2019

Hiya

Need some advise on some watch winders and where to buy from.

Was after something with really nice finish like the Omega zebrano cases and really quiet.

Need box to wind atleast 6 watches and don’t want to spend an arm and leg :)

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 14, 2019

So do you really need a winder? No date watches really don’t need one. Most people around here get winders and find they don’t actually need one.

3. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Sep 14, 2019

I agree, it really isn’t that difficult to set a watch that has stopped, even if it has complications. I suspect most purchased winders eventually end up unused in a closet, or in the trash. If a stopped watch is such an irritation to someone, they should stick with quartz.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. Qwertyqaz Sep 14, 2019

I would have liked to avoid it as much like the Omega Case.
    All my automatic watches have date except for one so need it.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 14, 2019

I use the good old set and wear technique.

A 6 watch winder that’s quiet isn’t going to be cheap.

DaveK, Foo2rama and Qwertyqaz like this.
  6. asrnj77 Sep 14, 2019

I have a Wolf winder and it is quiet and works well. That being said I basically never use it. It seemed like I would when I bought it but i never turn it on. Part of the reason is that larger watches or watches on straps take extra work to get them “locked” in. Plus I scratched the polished center link on my one watch inserting it until I figured out how to do it properly (it’s not hard but there isn’t much wiggle room). I would recommend buying a smaller wolf winder (3 winders or less) until you’re sure you’re going to be using them with some frequency

Qwertyqaz and Foo2rama like this.
  7. Evitzee Sep 14, 2019

I have THREE perpetual calendars and, believe me, you don't really need an autowinder. I've had all kinds of them and it really is no big deal to reset a watch, especially one with only a date. Takes all of a few minutes. If you must get a winder I've found the best and most reliable are Orbita winders. Most of the junk made in China is just that, junk.

I mostly use my winders as display props to show off the watches in my study, but I rarely use them.

Qwertyqaz and Foo2rama like this.
  8. Screwbacks Sep 14, 2019

what is a watch winder? :D i've never used one for my watches ever since. beside, it will only accelerate the impairment of your watch's auto mechanism.:)

Edited Sep 15, 2019
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 14, 2019

I thought the same as you. Then I went to 2 winders and kept the 2 most often worn in the current rotation on the winders. Now... no winders at all they sit unused. It’s about the same amount of hassle to set and wear as it is to take in and out of a winder.

If I had a Rolex day date without a quickset date, I’d put that on a winder as it’s a massive pain to set a non quickset date watch. All of mine are manual wind or quickset dates... at some point I’ll sell my winders, but as @Evitzee said... they are more props at this point.

Qwertyqaz likes this.
  10. Qwertyqaz Sep 15, 2019

The general consensus is no watch wonder, let’s stick with that.

11. wagudc Oct 26, 2019

Here is a picture of my watch winder. It works perfectly, no complaints.

15721242346096703813088523849014.jpg
  12. Canuck Oct 26, 2019

I hear complaints from many people that they break down, or otherwise refuse to function properly. And the way they are put together, many of them cannot be repaired. I have a cheap one in my repair shop for use in testing automatic winding functions, and regulating chronometers. If you buy one, keep your quartz watches and your manual winders on so you won’t be bothered when the winder craters.

In addition, some modern automatics have self wind mechanisms that don’t wind both ways! If your winder turns the wrong way, the watch won’t wind!

wagudc likes this.
  13. wagudc Oct 26, 2019

I was looking at automatic winders and this thread convinced me to stick with the one posted above. Saved me some money.