Forums Latest Members
  1. scott784 May 23, 2021

I own two Omega Seamasters and a Tudor Blackbay. Since they don't all get equal wrist time, I was thinking about getting a watch winder.

What do others on this forum think about watch winders? Are they a good investment? I've read about various ones and the prices are all over the place. But I understand, for example, that Wolf is an excellent brand. I am thinking, if I get one, that I need a watch winder that has an easy programmable setting to get the proper "turns per day". And on that note, I "think" Omega recommends 650 turns per day on a by-directional setting. Does that sound right? Thoughts on my questions, brands and prices?

If I buy one, I want a good one; and I am thinking about a winder that will allow for two watches. Thanks for any feedback on my questions.

2. Donn Chambers May 24, 2021

Watch winders are a convenience, nothing more and nothing less. You don’t need it to “keep the oils spread out” by running it all the time, nor will using a good one “wear out the watch faster” if you service it on a regular basis anyway.

with that said, if you do use a winder, do make sure it is programmable. Some cheap ones just spin continuously and that will likely cause premature wear. Wolf is a good brand; I have an older model that was given to me as a bonus when I bought a watch from an AD. I use it out of convenience so I can switch watches and not have to worry about setting and winding them. But I often just let them sit and reset them as well.

Frankly, I wouldn’t bother paying the retail price of a Wolf or Orbita winder and I’d just wear the watches for a week, then switch out to a new one to wear. But if you like to wear a new watch every couple of days, they are convenient.

JohnWoo, Foo2rama and Motik like this.
  3. SkunkPrince May 24, 2021

I do not use a watch winder, and see no reason to have one. I also tend to wear my watches more than a day before I switch to a different one. I have only one that doesn't have a quickset date but that's a bumper without jeweling in the auto system so putting that on a winder would only wear it out that much faster.

4. Evitzee May 24, 2021

They aren't really necessary. I've had all kinds over the years, but don't use them that much anymore. They do make a nice display item for the watches, though. Orbita is good brand in the US.

JohnWoo and Duracuir1 like this.
  5. MCC May 24, 2021

I have an Orbita and used to use it to keep watches with more complications wound to save myself the trouble of re setting day, date month etc. However, I have not used it for about 5 years and don't really see the need for one.

As a brand Orbita seems Ok but pricey.

6. Dan S May 24, 2021

I used to have a multi-watch winder, but eventually it broke and I didn't replace it. I don't miss it at all and in retrospect it was totally unnecessary for me.

Certainly I don't see how a winder could be considered a good "investment" in any way, since many of them are incredibly expensive, depreciate in value, and don't actually serve a critical function.

JohnWoo, wagudc and Duracuir1 like this.
  7. AngelDeVille May 24, 2021

I have a couple of orbitas but I only use them if I plan to use a watch without hand wind capability in the next day or so.

8. Motik May 24, 2021

A cheap winder will keep your watches wound as well as an expensive one. No need to see such a simple device as an investment.

I have two, each taking two watches, which I bought a few years ago on Amazon for 40 €. They just do the job.

JohnWoo likes this.
  9. time flies May 24, 2021

+1 to above. These have become a "bit" noisy in a very quiet room and I've changed out one of the pods. All in eight or ten years. Four tpd settings and clockwise, anti clockwise, bi directional. 20210524_183155.jpg

have fun
    kfw

10. scott784 May 24, 2021

Thanks for the replies here. They "do" seem pricey for the better ones; and I certainly don't see watch winders as an investment. That said, I started to think about them for the convenience factor if I want to switch out watches every few days and not have to manually wind/reset the watches each time. We'll see. I am not entirely sure if I want to spend the money right now or not.

11. Chewie37 May 28, 2021

I'm glad someone brought this up, I was curious about this as well. I have about three watches that I rotate for EDC (automatics) and one or two more that come out on special occasions. The special occasion nicer watches I don't worry about winding because they only come out once or twice a month.

But the three I rotate - I do wonder. Sometimes I think I overthink these things. These probably don't need to be babied, but sometimes I'm inclined to baby them.

The only thing it comes down to is assuming I'm getting my watch serviced every 8 years anyway, which causes more wear? Pulling out the crown, manually winding, and setting the date and time two or three times a week, or leaving it in a winder? The time it takes me to wind and set isn't an issue, the only thing I think about is which option causes less wear on the watch?

I don't know, but maybe some watchmakers here can chime in.

12. Motik May 29, 2021

Let's put it another way: when you are actually wearing your EDC watches, do you worry about how many hours in the day you have them on your wrist, or how brisk the movements of your arm are? I guess not, although these factors will also cause more or less wear.

Having your watches on a winder is, as seen by the watch itself, the same as being on your wrist, but much gentler (only slow, regular movements from time to time.) Compare this to what happens to watches worn 24/7 by their owner: they usually last for decades, even a lifelong, without any trouble.

BloodWood likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 29, 2021

Unless you are very ham fisted in how you use the crown, then setting them as needed will be less overall wear.

14. Nadiac Jun 21, 2021

As for double watch winder, I prefer one has independent motors, so that the watches with different TPD and direction setting can be wound at the same time.

15. Rado63 Jun 22, 2021

The only issue for me is whether or not you are keeping the watch in fully wound state and if that is adding unnecessary wear to the winding mechanism. Expensive winders can program start time and number of rotations, and the watch winder lets the watch rest but what if you don't need 650 bidirectional rotations? Automatic watches won't overwind because they have a mechanism I believe called a slip clutch. Also there is some slipping of the mainspring that occurs when fully wound so again over winding may add wear to the barrel. My Question is what if the watch was fully wound after 500 rotations and now there are 150 unnecessary rotations. Does that cause excessive wear to the slip clutch or barrel? I am no expert at how the movement functions to prevent an automatic watch from over winding. I have a winder that use for only one annual calendar watch, others I wind when I need them. I keep the winder on the fewest rotations per day, then adjust up to find the spot where it is just keeping accurate time and if it loses a little time I am okay with that. Makes me feel that I am hopefully not over winding it.

16. MRC Jun 22, 2021

Consider what happens when it's on your wrist and thanks to your early morning tennis game is now fully wound -- or a little later in the day but with no tennis Just normal wear. Do you take it off because of possible damage to the clutch mechanism?

No? That's because it's built to take that when fully wound.

BloodWood and Motik like this.
  17. Walrus Jun 22, 2021

I don’t know last night I was trying to think of what watch to wear today and I don’t know how I’d feel in the AM so I got five watches prepared. Then I got up and decided none of them were what I wanted to wear so grabbed a different seiko. Got that one ready. I’m thinking I might like one watch winder. Plus it would really annoy my wife.

Scooterino36 likes this.
  18. Rado63 Jun 22, 2021

The discussion was about concerns of using a winder. Constant wrist time of the same watch is more wear to a watch and constant over winding on the winder is more wear on the watch. But the watch you wear probably winds down and you are not always active, and you take it off, assuming you take it off , it winds down. If you leave the watch fully wound on a winder it may never run down hence you are constantly working the slip clutch, and wearing the rotor bearings. Depending on the condition of the watch you could be damaging the barrel. Many people don't service their watch because it is still running. but, you could be damaging the barrel and the slip clutch mechanism because of debris or lack of lubrication. Ask a watch maker if the rotor bearings, slip clutch and barrel can be damaged if the watch is constantly wound up or not serviced regularly. I believe some brands have ways to limit the slip in the barrel reducing wear of the barrel. If you wear the same watch constantly on your wrist then you will wear the winding mechanism of the watch more than a watch that gets used less frequently. So no I don't take the watch off because I may be over winding it but I do send it in for service even if it's still running fine. Sitting on a winder in state of constant over winding may not be a good idea.