Forums Latest Members

Watch Winder for Planet Ocean 8500

1. Demetrios Mirissis Jan 18, 2012

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum and just ordered my 1st serious watch...
    Seamaster Planet Ocean Big Size ref. 232.30.46.21.01.003
    Tourneau told me that there are none and will be waiting till late Feb. for it.
    They are giving me their own Watch Winder which holds one watch and moves CW, CCW and both directions. He claims it simulates actual wrist movement. (within reason).
    I am torn as whether it's wise to use it as I will expect to wear the watch 2-4 times a week.
    Thoughts?
    Demetri

2. ulackfocus Jan 18, 2012

Sure, why not use it?

3. Demetrios Mirissis Jan 18, 2012

I have heard that there are two schools of thought on watch winders. The negative being people leave them on constantly not being good for the watch.

4. ulackfocus Jan 18, 2012

How can it not be good for the watch? As long as you keep up on the service so it remains lubed, then you should be fine.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2012

I'm typically of the "its fine" school, if you wear it constantly which its designed to be able to handle, there's no difference between that (well probably less shocks and knocks) and having it on a winder.

There is a valid argument that can be made regarding vintage movements that can be expensive to maintain, obtain parts for, and may wear prematurely (for example the winding mechanism on the Rolex 1570 movement in my vintage Submariner which is known to be prone to premature failure and is expensive to repair).

The Omega Cal 8500 is a brand new movement with a superb reputation, so much so that on Rolex fan forums the best argument they can muster is that "It hasn't been proven for as many years as the Rolex Cal 3135" and frankly if the only complaint one can make is that it isn't old, you've done very well.

Your parts availability is probably going to be 30-50 years from the end of Cal 8500 production, which means the availability will likely exceed both your and your children's lifespan.

Given that you have really nothing to worry about.

Trev likes this.
  6. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jan 18, 2012

Putting my vote in the "it's fine" category (and far more convenient). Welcome to ΩF :thumbsup:

7. Demetrios Mirissis Jan 18, 2012

Thanks for the logical advice. Sometimes I tend to overthink and analyze things as many do... (especially the Type A forum personalites, LOL)

8. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jan 18, 2012

My Seamaster Chronograph has been running since '97 without any servicing (i'll run it until it stops, then send it in).

With a fresh 8500, you've got nothing to worry about :)

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2012

You know its strange to say, but at 15 years of age, it won't be long until your SMPC is a vintage piece in its own right. Production started in '93, and back then I was still in grade 1.

10. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jan 18, 2012

Yeah, no kidding. Surprising how "modern" it still looks.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2012

BTW Demetri is that an E36M your helmeted head is sticking out of?

12. Steve Jan 19, 2012

If you're going to be wearing the watch for up to 4 days a week, you'll find you probably wont need a winder ?.

13. Demetrios Mirissis Jan 19, 2012

Yes that is an E36 Race Car with an S54 motor professionally build by James Sofronas of GMG Racing in California.
    My partner and I own a small race team, www.pinnacle-racing.com
    That pic is of me before going out for qualifying at NJMP Thunderbolt circuit, the same track that Grand Am races.

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2012

Interesting... how'd you manage to get it to work, throttle cable conversion or are you running a fly-by-wire throttle?

15. Demetrios Mirissis Jan 19, 2012

I bought the car complete. But the way I understand, the vanos system has been bypassed and we use a LINK ECU and have a more aggressive tune running 100 octane. Makes 321 at the wheels and weighs 2675 without driver. Here's a link to some of my in-car race videos... www.vimeo.com/pinnacleracing

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2012

It'd be really nice and responsive compared to a normal e36 M3, that extra 1000 rpm or so on the s54 limiter over the s50 limiter can really save you shifting into a corner. I drive a far more sedate e46 330CI manual but ever since my first e30 I've had dreams of doing an s50 or s54 swap in an e30 track rat, trouble is s50 engines are a bag of worms with faulty VANOS systems and the s54s take a bit of work converting to a compatible throttle setup. One day though...

17. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jan 19, 2012

Nice site and car!

So, soon we'll be seeing you wearing your new PO, hands on this wheel, track in the distance? :)

18. Demetrios Mirissis Jan 19, 2012

We left the motor basically stock for reliability and it has been perfect. Our focus has always been brakes, suspension and weight. Rather than adding HP, we lightened the car, which gave benefits in acceleration in and out of corners, fuel savings and it's not as hard on the brakes or suspension not that we removed over 100 lbs.

19. Demetrios Mirissis Jan 19, 2012

Yes, watch should be in mid-Feb. Can't wait... But I'm happy I'll be getting a fresh production run too. 1st Pic will be of me in Racing Firesuit wearing it... LOL
    Most racers want the Rolex Daytona as it's known to be the "Racers Watch". Too me, the Planet Ocean 8500 is THE Racer's Watch...

20. Demetrios Mirissis Jan 19, 2012

My best friend and I...

d. mirissis (59).JPG
    ron n likes this.