Forums Latest Members
  1. Jeeper Nov 1, 2020

Good day to you educated watch people.

Some advice or opinions if you will.

I am just about to "lay down" a couple of watches, as not been wearing them, a Rolex Datejust 16220 & a Baume et Mercier MOA8112 (I think).

Q1) Is it best to keep them in a winder or to simply box them away.

Q2) When I wind the Rolex it does not start to beat until I give it a gentle shake! i don't remember this being the case previously. It was last serviced by Rolex in 2016 so not a very long time ago.

Q3) A friend has just bought his 1st automatic (T W Steel), but rotates a lot of quartz watches 20+ pieces, again my question is related to a winder , to wind or not to wind when wearing every couple couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance for any opinions, advice or suggestions.

Jeeper

MtnMarine likes this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 1, 2020

Most here don’t bother. It’s a early mistake to buy one and by a few watches it’s sitting there doing nothing.
    Plus you have to spend top $$ to get one quiet enough to have in your bedroom

Plenty of threads on this and you always get a “do you leave your car running in the garage”

If you have a moon phase they are very useful as they save the lengthy setting each time.

Omegafanman likes this.
  3. Jeeper Nov 1, 2020

Thanks Standy, I have the winder but as I historically have worn them all I stopped using it & just wound as required. I just wasnt sure if it was better when not wearing for months at a time, ie does the lube get where it needs to get etc etc.

Jeeper

4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Nov 1, 2020

If I’m not wearing a watch I let it run down. I figure if its not on my wrist I might as well not be wearing out the works.

i did acquire what I thought was the perfect watch winder a few years back...

but it turns out she was only interested in my motorbikes.

i keep her around anyway as she has great legs.

JohnWoo likes this.
  5. Dan S Nov 1, 2020

Lubricant doesn't circulate in a watch movement as it does in an engine. More running time simply equals more wear and tear.

Archer, Omegafanman and Jeeper like this.
  6. Jeeper Nov 1, 2020

Back in there boxes for a while then:)

Dan S likes this.
  7. MtnMarine Nov 1, 2020

I was wondering about this same issue. Thanks for clearing it up. Makes sense once I read it here....