Forums Latest Members

Watch Whisperer 1 (Norf London)

1. Dr.Sascha Dec 31, 2019

So, we all know that one of the best parts of this . . . obsession? hobby? monomaniacal/borderline OCD pursuit? Anyway, one of the best parts is the interesting characters we meet along the way, the generosity and kindness we are offered, and the beautiful works of art we encounter unexpectedly. So, briefly, here's one such story to ring out the old year and ring in the new.

It started in the most unexpected place, a place much like Mos Eisley Spaceport, yes, I am talking about that wretched hive of scum and villainy, Gumtree. Every now and again, I scan what's on offer there, more to keep apprised of the latest efforts at replication (a-ha, a square-sided date window that should be rounded--elementary, my dear Watchson!). When, lo and behold, a watch that had absolutely no business being there, a rare gem of a piece, and one of my grails, appears in a set of grainy, badly-lit photos (you can see the thread and pics of the piece itself on the OWB forum). My first response was: why would anyone bother to make a replica of _that_ watch? It's way too obscure, and the price they are asking for it is, neither anywhere near its market value nor absurdly low (as is often the case with the replica watches advertised there).

Fast forward a week of conversation with Mr. X, and I find myself, loupe in hand, strolling down a rather dodgy and dark road in a profoundly unfashionable part of North London. He welcomes me into his modest flat, and whereas I was expecting either an old codger (a la Dickens's Fagin) or, possibly, an Artful Dodger, I am instead greeted by a chap in his late 30s, bedecked in tattoos, with a heavy Eastern European accent and _excellent_ manners. And that's when the wonder ensues. He shows me the piece I am after, which is even nicer in person, and as we get to talking, he takes out one watch-roll. With a flourish, I am now looking at about 40 lovely pieces, ranging from a near-mint 70s Wakmann Chrono to a Unicorn (Zenith) trench-watch, c. 1916. And then he takes out his second watch-roll, revealing a gorgeous Girard Perregaux chrono from the 1950s and an Omega 30t2, among other prizes. I'm trying not to let my mouth hang open to widely at this point, and the piece I came for lies nearly disregarded on the table at this point. For all I know, he had 2-3 more rolls in that closet of wonder. And then there was the Art Nouveau grandfather clock presiding over the whole show.

"But you know," he says, "I'm not really interested in wristwatches. I don't even wear them because I am always afraid that, as a chef, I'll bang them on the table, get them wet, or spill sauce on them. My _real_ passion is 19th c. pocket watches!" I don't know enough about these to even explain what happened next, suffice to say that it was sublimely wondrous. One particular model, a 1880s repeater, made a sound so beautiful I think I actually saw god, or at least heard the music of the spheres.

The evening wound down, so to speak, and I left in a happy daze. When I returned a week later, the entire experience repeated itself. Even though, that time, I left with my prize, its value seemed tenfold more by the memory of watchvana that, every time I look at it, will come unbidden to my mind, along with the haunting sound of that repeater . . .

20191213_203011.jpg 20191213_202023.jpg 20191213_202346.jpg
    jsducote, Larry S, kkt and 4 others like this.
  2. janice&fred Dec 31, 2019

I believe it. I've seen some incredible hordes of watches in the most unlikely of places...like on an obscure island in the Philippines with only electrical power 12 hours a day.
    hopefully you can keep your friendship going with this character and snag some more interesting stuff :)

Dr.Sascha likes this.
  3. steveb73 Dec 31, 2019

Great story and by the sounds of it a lucky score!!!
    I've never tried Gumtree and from reading your story, I probably won't..